CEntrance DACmini DAC/Amplifier Official Thread
Oct 26, 2012 at 10:34 AM Post #813 of 1,412
Oct 26, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #814 of 1,412
Quote:
Hey Tama and Redchoco,

Thanks for your interest in DACmini. Let me know if you have any more questions about it.

Also, you may want to take a look into our Audiophile Desktop System for the complete package. It is now more affordable than ever.
http://centrance.com/products/new/blog/2012/10/26/centrance-offers-economic-stimulus-package/

-Kenny

My Dacmini with the 1-Ohm mod is wonderful with my IEMs and LCD2s.

Wow! That's a great deal and very tempting on the Audiophile Desktop System. Looks like you basically get the speakers, cables, and Pelican case for free if you buy the System. If I didn't already have a B&W Zeppelin, I'd buy this Desktop System today.

I just looked over the HiFi M8 portable DAC/Amp. Where do I sign up? I definitely want one of those. 

Oct 28, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #816 of 1,412
I recently purchased an Audiophile Desktop System (unfortunately this was before they decided to drop the price 500$), and have noticed something strange that maybe someone here can help with.

On my Mac's audio settings for the DACmini, it allows me to choose the sample rate (44.1, 96).   But the bit depth is set to 24 bit and can't be changed to 16 bit.  I'm worried that my computer is having to resample all my 44.1/16 audio to 44.1/24 before sending to the DAC.

If i use an optical cable (my Mac's Built-In Output in audio settings) this is not the case, I am able to successfully set the output to 44.1kHz/16-bit.

I can't find any online discussions of this.

Thanks for any help.

David

Oct 28, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #817 of 1,412
No need to worry. What happens within a PC is this: When going over to the DAC, audio data normally travels in 24-bit containers. This means that a 16-bit sample is "padded" by zeros (they add nothing and subtract nothing from the audio) and "stuffed" inside a 24-bit "holder", or container. Modern computers find it easier to operate with 24-bit containers. On arrival at the DAC, the zeros are discarded and the full 16-bit sample is used. The change happens when the audio. Is sampled at 32-bit (still a very rare occasion). In this case the system is reconfigured to use 32-bit containers. So, there would be a difference in how 24-and 32-bit data is handled, but there is typically no difference in how the 16- and 24-bit data is handled. All is to say that you have nothing to worry about -- the most crucial part of the equation is the D/A converter, followed by speaker design and then the amp technology. All three are top notch kit in that system. Enjoy the mastering quality sound of your Audiophile Desktop System! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Oct 28, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #818 of 1,412
Thanks Michael!  I am extremely pleased with this system.  Outstanding sonics.  Easily as enjoyable as my 6500$ living room system..and with a pregnant wife you can bet I'll be spending more time in my office enjoying it.  :)

Oct 29, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #819 of 1,412
Quote:
Thanks Michael!  I am extremely pleased with this system.  Outstanding sonics.  Easily as enjoyable as my 6500$ living room system..and with a pregnant wife you can bet I'll be spending more time in my office enjoying it.  :)

That's so sweet that you want to be in the office with her all the time. 

Oct 29, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #823 of 1,412
Quote:
Do you want portable listening or just desktop listening?  

If I remember correctly, the Dacmini CX outputs 1.5 watts per channel which is the same as the M8. The M8 has rechargeable batteries for on the go listening whereas the Dacmini is desktop, only. The Dacmini CX has more connection options than the M8. Michael or Kenny, correct me if I'm wrong.

If CEntrance offerred the M8 with wifi connectivity, how sweet would that be?!

Oct 31, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #825 of 1,412
Quote:

That is great! I'm glad you are enjoying the system!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back