CEntrance DACmini DAC/Amplifier Official Thread
Oct 19, 2012 at 7:22 AM Post #796 of 1,412
That's a great idea Larry, but...

There are no returns on DACmini's with mods (I have the 1-Ohm output impedance)...

-AND-

I'm past the 30-day mark...

-AND-

I'd have to ask Kablemeister to make me make me a banana-plug set with pig tail adapter for my Hirose-terminated Silver Poison balanced cable, before I could listen to the Class D amp with my LCD-2 - and I'm currently only two weeks into a six-week wait for him to make a 6.3mm TRS-to-Hirose Silver Poison pig tail. Anything I tried to craft myself as a temporary solution would likely compromise the sound.

-AND- 

I might not be impressed by the 2-Watt into 50-Ohms Class D amp - leaving me disappointed that I spent another $200 for...  a black finish and an amp I don't use.  Not to mention a $100 bannana plug to Hirose pig tail adapter that I'd have a hard time selling...

-AND-

(Thus) I'd simply have to order the ADS speakers, too - out of curiosity.  We know I would LOVE what I hear!  Buying a PX without the ADS speakers would be like buying a Ferrari without wheels.  Trite analogy, yes, but appropriate.

redface.gif

I'll have to leave the PX purchase for some day in the distant future when I choose to get into near-field HiFi.

Thanks!

Mike

Oct 19, 2012 at 7:55 AM Post #797 of 1,412
Can someone from centrance let me know the minimum distance from a dacmini cx where I should not be able to hear interference from my mobile phone when my headphones are plugged in? I am still hearing interference from a mobile phone as far as 2m - 2.5m away. Nothing solves the issue - different headphones, different mobile phone or having the unit plugged into various power sockets in various rooms. I understand that the dacmini is shielded extremely well and this should not happen. One option is to wrap the entire dacmini with aluminium foil but that in itself is a crime as the dacmini is such a beauty. 

I love my dacmini. The only minor flaws are the shielding issue and also the fact that my speakers or headphones (whichever is plugged in) make an extremely loud buzzing noise whenever my PC boots up. This probably occurs as I always leave the usb input from my PC plugged in - again, is this normal?

Don't get me wrong, I am very happy with how this unit performs, so much so that I will gladly keep the unit even with these issues if they are indeed present on all dacmini cxs. Would just like to know if I got a defective unit and should get it replaced?

Thanks very much

Oct 19, 2012 at 11:04 AM Post #799 of 1,412
The "not offended" comment was in reference to the questions about the trial period (30-day money back).

Regarding cell phone interference, please send email to info at centrance dot com. We will help you out. Something must be funky with the wiring.

Michael

Oct 19, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #801 of 1,412
Quote:

I might not be impressed by the 2-Watt into 50-Ohms Class D amp - leaving me disappointed that I spent another $200 for...  a black finish and an amp I don't use.  Not to mention a $100 bannana plug to Hirose pig tail adapter that I'd have a hard time selling...

Mike

I though that Michael Goodman did the math in an earlier post, and used the actual output voltage and current it can deliver into 50 ohms to come up with an 8 watt number in 50 ohm, not 2 watts.

EDIT - Yep, he posted that here http://www.head-fi.org/t/523850/centrance-dacmini-dac-amplifier-official-thread/780#post_8788608

Oct 19, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #802 of 1,412
Quote:
Can someone from centrance let me know the minimum distance from a dacmini cx where I should not be able to hear interference from my mobile phone when my headphones are plugged in? I am still hearing interference from a mobile phone as far as 2m - 2.5m away. Nothing solves the issue - different headphones, different mobile phone or having the unit plugged into various power sockets in various rooms. I understand that the dacmini is shielded extremely well and this should not happen. One option is to wrap the entire dacmini with aluminium foil but that in itself is a crime as the dacmini is such a beauty. 

I love my dacmini. The only minor flaws are the shielding issue and also the fact that my speakers or headphones (whichever is plugged in) make an extremely loud buzzing noise whenever my PC boots up. This probably occurs as I always leave the usb input from my PC plugged in - again, is this normal?

Don't get me wrong, I am very happy with how this unit performs, so much so that I will gladly keep the unit even with these issues if they are indeed present on all dacmini cxs. Would just like to know if I got a defective unit and should get it replaced?

Thanks very much

My iPhone is frequently only 12 inches away and I have no interference (like GSM buzz).  You could try getting those RF blocking cards for your phone from http://www.quickbridgesolutions.com - you may be able to find some used ones somewhere now that they aren't made anymore.

Oct 19, 2012 at 4:45 PM Post #803 of 1,412
Quote:

I though that Michael Goodman did the math in an earlier post, and used the actual output voltage and current it can deliver into 50 ohms to come up with an 8 watt number in 50 ohm, not 2 watts.

EDIT - Yep, he posted that here http://www.head-fi.org/t/523850/centrance-dacmini-dac-amplifier-official-thread/780#post_8788608

Oh, I hadn't seen Michael's edit to that post, thank you!

OK, so 8 Watts peak x 0.70711 = 5.657 Watts rms  

That's impressive!  

I should have bought a PX.

Too late, now...

redface.gif

Oct 23, 2012 at 4:41 AM Post #804 of 1,412
can minidac drive he-500 enough?
cuz i'm planning to get he-500 and also i need dac/amp too. so now i'm considering between minidac and burson 160ds.
if minidac can drive he-500 good enough, i'll get minidac.

Oct 24, 2012 at 12:07 AM Post #806 of 1,412
FWIW, I park my iPhone less than a foot from my DACMINI and get no interference... In a specific spot. However, if I move my phone to a couple other locations around the DACMINI, it does catch the gsm signal... maybe some weird angle thing or whatnot... But most of the time it's 7-8 inches away and dead quiet.

Oct 24, 2012 at 1:47 AM Post #807 of 1,412
Quote:
can minidac drive he-500 enough?
cuz i'm planning to get he-500 and also i need dac/amp too. so now i'm considering between minidac and burson 160ds.
if minidac can drive he-500 good enough, i'll get minidac.

Yes it does work very well with those - better than my Woo WA6 or Nuforce DAC-100 with HE-500 or LCD-2 (while I tend to only use the others with my HD800 these days).  I set up a rig at CanJam @ RMAF 2011 with the DACmini and I only had HE-500 and LCD-2 there to use with it.

Oct 24, 2012 at 2:31 AM Post #808 of 1,412
I posted a question on the DACport thread, thought I would post it here as well.

How well does the DACport drive orthos (Stock T50RP)?  Does it drive it to its full potential? 

Also, with a StepDance in the chain - is it worth upgrading to a DACmini?

Currently FB2K (WASAPI) > DACport > Stepdance(not here yet) >T50RP/SRH940

Oct 24, 2012 at 9:58 AM Post #809 of 1,412
Quote:
FWIW, I park my iPhone less than a foot from my DACMINI and get no interference... In a specific spot. However, if I move my phone to a couple other locations around the DACMINI, it does catch the gsm signal... maybe some weird angle thing or whatnot... But most of the time it's 7-8 inches away and dead quiet.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I think something is wrong with my unit

Oct 25, 2012 at 3:28 AM Post #810 of 1,412
Quote:
I posted a question on the DACport thread, thought I would post it here as well.

How well does the DACport drive orthos (Stock T50RP)?  Does it drive it to its full potential? 

Also, with a StepDance in the chain - is it worth upgrading to a DACmini?

Currently FB2K (WASAPI) > DACport > Stepdance(not here yet) >T50RP/SRH940

DACport can drive the orthos like HE-500 and LCD-2 to sound very good, but it doesn't drive them as authoritatively as the DACmini or HiFI-M8.  I have compared the DACmini to a pre-production StepDance and the DACmini is still a bit better sounding, especially with the orthos.  StepDance is a very good portable amp, but it's not a desktop amp although it's better with a 15V PSU attached.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back