CEntrance DACmini DAC/Amplifier Official Thread
Jul 6, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #721 of 1,412
Quote:
Hi all,

I've had the DACmini now for over a year and I love it and have no reason to upgrade any of my gear or any need. However, now I'm thinking of getting the HD 800 and using the DACmini to drive them. I drive other headphones I have with the DACmini, and they all sound great. Would the DACmini be able to drive the HD 800 to their fullest? If not, I was thinking of getting the USB option of the Violectric HPA V200 headphone amp. However, it costs quite a lot and would make me have to wait for the HD 800 probably another year. 

So basically, can the DACmini be able to drive the Senn HD 800 to their fullest or somewhat close to their fullest?

Thanks

I have not tested the HD-800 with DACmini  but I do not think HD-800 is difficult as a load. But some say it has 'difficult' sound signature (must be paired with warm gear). DACmini is on the warm side of neutral. 

Jul 6, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #722 of 1,412
From the reviews I've read of the DACmini, they've said that they had no problems driving the HD 800's.. so I'll probably just stick with the DACmini. Just need to save up for the 800's now.

Jul 7, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #723 of 1,412
If anyone is on the fence about buying the DACmini, I'd just like to say this:

AWESOME customer service.

They're located in the US, they do all warranty work here, they answer emails in a very timely manner, and they make it worth your while (should something go wrong).

Oh, and it sounds fantastic.

Whether I'm listening to music through my computer or using the headphone amp portion with my turntable, this is a fantastic piece of equipment.

Jul 7, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #724 of 1,412
Quote:
From the reviews I've read of the DACmini, they've said that they had no problems driving the HD 800's.. so I'll probably just stick with the DACmini. Just need to save up for the 800's now.

Power wise, DACmini really has no problem to drive HD800, though if we talk about quality wise, you can get better sound by adding high quality external desktop amp.

Jul 7, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #725 of 1,412
Power wise, DACmini really has no problem to drive HD800, though if we talk about quality wise, you can get better sound by adding high quality external desktop amp.

Agree with this, it has power but doesnt pronounce all the best features of the HD800, thats why I got the Lyr and power them in combo, the DAC is DACMini and amp = Lyr.

Jul 19, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #727 of 1,412
I just got my DACmini back from repair (volume pot replace) and I'm so glad to have it back. My mind is actually trying to convince me it sounds better than when I shipped it back... which is actually feasible if your volume pot is problematic... but it's far more likely I just got used to listening to my crummy Mbox2 :) I will say it DID come back to me missing it's front two rubber feet, so I have a cloth under the front so it doesn't scratch my table up. I have no doubt the rubber feet will be out on the first flight my way; the Centrance guys are really good about that kind of thing.

AND for those wanting to know, the newer pot feels a bit sturdier than the last one, has more resistance (which I don't mind one bit). Also for those who care about such things: channel tracking at very low volume is a bit more pronounced than my old pot, and could be an issue for someone who listens fairly quietly on low impedance IEMs (like UEs) but it's a non issue on my 50ohm LCD-2s, the imbalance seems to dissipate with volume pot settings louder than approx 45dB, so fairly quiet. My quietest listening volume would be around 50dB, and anything lower than that would mean I was trying to listen to music and something external at the same time..

Jul 23, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #728 of 1,412

I've a review of this little bugger coming along. Personally, I could spend the rest of my days with this amp and none other. I've been using the PX Audiophile Desktop System, and found myself most surprised with the quality of the power amp and speakers, which surpassed my expectations in an integrated system for the price. 2000$ isn't cheap, but considering the DAC/amp/power amp/speakers in this system, it is a paltry sum. Bass I was not expecting from such small speakers, and such a low noise floor I was not expecting from a system with a rather cheap power supply.

I have not tested the HD-800 with DACmini  but I do not think HD-800 is difficult as a load. But some say it has 'difficult' sound signature (must be paired with warm gear). DACmini is on the warm side of neutral. 

The DACmini should have zero problems with the HD800. You'll get enough volume and have no impedance mismatch problems. 10Ω or so output is much lower than the absolute lowest bound the HD800 hits in any wild impedance swing.

It is quite an impressive system. 

Aug 5, 2012 at 5:59 AM Post #729 of 1,412
Probably a silly question, but does dacmini CX do the playback in real-time ? Like it can be used for gaming ? Asking just to be sure (because I read it uses some sort of internal buffering to defeat jitter)

Aug 10, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #731 of 1,412
Anyone knows how the dacmini pairs with IEMs?
Looking for a dac for my computer and I happen to chance upon the dacmini and am considering getting it.

Also will be getting a pair of headphones in the near future so will this be a good piece of equipment to purchase?

Thanks

Aug 10, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #732 of 1,412
Quote:
Looking for a dac for my computer and I happen to chance upon the dacmini and am considering getting it.

Also will be getting a pair of headphones in the near future so will this be a good piece of equipment to purchase?

Thanks

depends on the IEMs, but for the most part, I'd say it's overkill.  I'm not sure why people made a big stink about this amp and IEMs, personally if I using IEMs as my primarly headphone, I'd probably buy a smaller amp, fine tuned for those types of things.  That's not to say it doesn't perform well.  I use my Phonak 022s on occasion when I need absoulte silence around me.  I haven't had balance issues since they replaced the pot on my amp, then again, the Phonaks seem to be a little more demanding than your average IEM (not to say that it needs an amp, but it can take a bit more to push it).

Aug 10, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #734 of 1,412
Quote:

Thanks

Hey Matter,

As Roker said, it does somewhat depend on the IEMs you are using. There is definitely more than enough power to run IEMS as well as most headphones you may be considering. It is only a matter of type due to varying frequency responses of certain IEMs. Some customers request a 1 ohm hp modification to help keep those variations to a minimum. We also offer low and high gain modifications to help customize each unit for certain tastes and needs.

Feel free to send me a message if you have any more questions!

-Kenny

Aug 20, 2012 at 4:44 AM Post #735 of 1,412
Just bought a second-set locally (singapore) a couple days ago, and my initial impressions with lcd 2 rev 2 are very very positive. 

Coming from nuforce HD, there's considerable improvement in resolution, accuracy, soundstage and overall coherence in sound. The music just sounds so much more involving and fun while being more detailed at the same time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back