CEntrance DACmini DAC/Amplifier Official Thread
Jun 2, 2012 at 10:58 AM Post #706 of 1,412
Quote:
O.K. I received my Dacmini from the CEntrance shop 4 days ago. I wanted to listen over an extended period of time before offering my impressions. The CEntrance "Boys" did a great job, once again. I had a scratchy noise when turning the volume knob that irritated me. Michael, Kenny, and David All emailed me with updates along the way. They informed me they now have a new volume pot that meets their Quality Control specs and that's what I got.  They also installed the 1 ohm output impedance mod and tightened up the selector knob. On top of that, they covered all this Out of Warranty because I sent my Dacmini in once before for the same problem and because of the 4 week wait while they tested the new volume pot. If that was not enough, they did not charge me for the 1 ohm mod. Talk about Customer Service Excellence! These guys have been great to deal with; super fast communication, top notch service, and nice guys to boot.

Now, for the sound. Auditory memory is ephemeral and subject to placebo and Halo Effects.  All I can say is that the sound quality I'm hearing from my Audeze LCD2's and modded T50RPs is magic. I have a good friend who heard my Dacmini paired with my LCD2's. He sold his Stax Lambda's and bought the Dacmini + LCD2's within the same week. He recently bought a Benchmark HD and we had a mini shootout. We took turns switching out the Dacmini and Benchmark paired with our LCD2's and my modded T50RP's. Neither of us could tell one amp from the other.

+1
The Dacmini is not only a great product but from a great company.

Jun 4, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #707 of 1,412
Quote:
+1
The Dacmini is not only a great product but from a great company.

I've had my Dacmini back from the shop, now, for a week. I got the 1 ohm output impedance mod.

I've had lots of time to listen to my LCD2's and modded T50RP's. I can say without a doubt that the treble is extended and more detailed in both than when the output impedance was set at 10 ohms. I don't hear any difference in the bass and midrange which remain "killer."

I believe the 1 ohm mod is responsible for improved top end since it's the only variable in my audio chain that's different. The 1 ohm mod works great for me.

Jun 8, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #708 of 1,412
Thanks for the kind words guys!!!

Really glad the mod is working out for you. Let me know if you need anything else.

smily_headphones1.gif

-Jay

Jun 10, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #711 of 1,412
Quote:
I want to ask the bass really differ from DACMini And Burson ? as I see some members saying Burson has a better bass,
Thanks

Burson has the better PRaT and I have to say, bass that comes with it (PRaT goes linearly with bass in my book). DACMini has a more analytical nature with less PRaT and I think it enhances the soundstage quite nicely, including the great synergy in treble with my LCD-2 and HD800.

Jun 10, 2012 at 8:05 PM Post #712 of 1,412
Quote:
Burson has the better PRaT and I have to say, bass that comes with it (PRaT goes linearly with bass in my book). DACMini has a more analytical nature with less PRaT and I think it enhances the soundstage quite nicely, including the great synergy in treble with my LCD-2 and HD800.

Better as It's significantly better ? I mean when you listen to Burson and then back to DACMini you feel the lack of the Bass ?
Thanks

Jun 10, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #713 of 1,412
Quote:
Better as It's significantly better ? I mean when you listen to Burson and then back to DACMini you feel the lack of the Bass ?
Thanks

Well its not the first thing that comes up when listening through the DacMini. When you listen to the Burson amp, it feels as if it was specially designed for Rock/Electronic music because of the concentration on prat and bass dynamics. DacMini is more universal, as it will suit all genres.

Jun 13, 2012 at 10:38 AM Post #717 of 1,412
Quote:
O.K. I received my Dacmini from the CEntrance shop 4 days ago. I wanted to listen over an extended period of time before offering my impressions. The CEntrance "Boys" did a great job, once again. I had a scratchy noise when turning the volume knob that irritated me. Michael, Kenny, and David All emailed me with updates along the way. They informed me they now have a new volume pot that meets their Quality Control specs and that's what I got.  They also installed the 1 ohm output impedance mod and tightened up the selector knob. On top of that, they covered all this Out of Warranty because I sent my Dacmini in once before for the same problem and because of the 4 week wait while they tested the new volume pot. If that was not enough, they did not charge me for the 1 ohm mod. Talk about Customer Service Excellence! These guys have been great to deal with; super fast communication, top notch service, and nice guys to boot.

Now, for the sound. Auditory memory is ephemeral and subject to placebo and Halo Effects.  All I can say is that the sound quality I'm hearing from my Audeze LCD2's and modded T50RPs is magic. I have a good friend who heard my Dacmini paired with my LCD2's. He sold his Stax Lambda's and bought the Dacmini + LCD2's within the same week. He recently bought a Benchmark HD and we had a mini shootout. We took turns switching out the Dacmini and Benchmark paired with our LCD2's and my modded T50RP's. Neither of us could tell one amp from the other.

Thanks for your wonderful input..

So the 1 ohm mod is recommended to drive low impedance headphones like the LCD-2?

Jun 15, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #718 of 1,412
Thanks for your wonderful input..

So the 1 ohm mod is recommended to drive low impedance headphones like the LCD-2?

Yes. And I definitely hear the improvement with my LCD's and modded Fostex T50RP's, especially in the treble range.

Jun 29, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #719 of 1,412
Thanks for the feedback BlueMonkeyFlyer!!!

I've been personally partial to the stock sound of the 10ohm output, but we have seen a big spike in those pairing the LCDs with the 1ohm mod as of recent.

Not sure if we are doing our annual Independence Day Sale, but if anyone has questions about this mod, what is involved in the process or wants a coupon code. Please just send me a PM. I'm more than happy to help.

-Jay
gs1000.gif

Jul 6, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #720 of 1,412
Hi all,

I've had the DACmini now for over a year and I love it and have no reason to upgrade any of my gear or any need. However, now I'm thinking of getting the HD 800 and using the DACmini to drive them. I drive other headphones I have with the DACmini, and they all sound great. Would the DACmini be able to drive the HD 800 to their fullest? If not, I was thinking of getting the USB option of the Violectric HPA V200 headphone amp. However, it costs quite a lot and would make me have to wait for the HD 800 probably another year. 

So basically, can the DACmini be able to drive the Senn HD 800 to their fullest or somewhat close to their fullest?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back