CEntrance DACmini DAC/Amplifier Official Thread
Nov 23, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #1,306 of 1,412
For those waiting for a Windows 10 driver, I have managed to nab a beta version from Centrance. Unfortunately I don’t have a working PC at the moment so I can’t test it.

If you’d like to try it out PM me with your email.

Dec 16, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #1,307 of 1,412
Soon to be DM CX owner checking in. My cans are RS1s and HE400i's. I got a decent deal on a used model, but it doesn't have the 1ohm mod. For the Hifiman, is this a mod that I need or will I be alright without it? 97% of my listening with the Grado is through my MAD Ear HD.

thanks in advance!

Dec 16, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #1,308 of 1,412
I wouldn't worry about it. Grado impedance curves are actually quite flat, so the effect on frequency response will be minimal. Some will crow on about damping factor, but the effect is not that apparent.

Dec 17, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #1,309 of 1,412
I wouldn't worry about it. Grado impedance curves are actually quite flat, so the effect on frequency response will be minimal. Some will crow on about damping factor, but the effect is not that apparent.

Thanks for your input.

Dec 30, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #1,310 of 1,412
So I got the 1 ohm mod a long time ago:

"Headphone Linearity" Mod (1 Ohm output)
DACmini CX stock unit comes with 10 Ohm headphone output impedance. To our ears, it offers the most musical, transparent sound. Users have described it as "warm" and "analog-like". However we can lower the output impedance to 1 Ohm, if flattest possible frequency response is desired in your application. Customers have described the sound of this mod as "more clinical".
Tip: Use this mod to get the best out of low-impedance headphones.

Thing is, now I'm considering buying some Senn HD600s, will this be a problem?

Dec 30, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #1,311 of 1,412
^ Not in my opinion.  I have the CX with the 1-Ohm mod and found it to be a good match to the neutral HD600.  If it was your goal to have a warmer amp, then the default output impedance would be better, but it has its greatest impact on low-impedance headphones, where the ratio of the headphone impedance to the amp's output impedance is much less than 1:1 8:1.

The HD600 is renowned for being neutral so, again, I think the 1-Ohm modded CX is the better way to go.

Mike

Updated errors in my original post - I was in too big a hurry.

Dec 31, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #1,312 of 1,412
  So I got the 1 ohm mod a long time ago:

"Headphone Linearity" Mod (1 Ohm output)
DACmini CX stock unit comes with 10 Ohm headphone output impedance. To our ears, it offers the most musical, transparent sound. Users have described it as "warm" and "analog-like". However we can lower the output impedance to 1 Ohm, if flattest possible frequency response is desired in your application. Customers have described the sound of this mod as "more clinical".
Tip: Use this mod to get the best out of low-impedance headphones.

Thing is, now I'm considering buying some Senn HD600s, will this be a problem?

I agree entirely with Mike/zilch -- I've used the HD600s with my 1-ohm modded DACmini, it's great. 10-ohms is just too much resistance. In general, unless you have a headphone with crazy, 30db swing like the HD800, you'll want the amp and DAC to have a flat frequency response. 

Dec 31, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #1,313 of 1,412
Thanks, fellas!

I've been rolling with my Denon D2000s for a long time and felt a nice change of pace would be nice with the more open design of the HD600s.

I'll do a mini-review when I score a pair!

Jan 8, 2016 at 3:45 AM Post #1,315 of 1,412
No personal experience with that combo specifically, but I highly doubt it. The T1 doesn't actually need that much power behind it, and typically lower gain is friendlier overall regarding distortion and assorted voodoo.

Jan 8, 2016 at 6:28 AM Post #1,317 of 1,412
Well I ended up returning the CX that did not have the 1 ohm and picked up one that has the 1-ohm and Variable Out Mods. Funny thing with that is that now I have a Geek Pulse Infinity and I need to sell the CX. If you're interested, I'm letting it go for a good price.

Feb 4, 2016 at 6:39 AM Post #1,318 of 1,412
Hello chaps, first time here and I suppose better now than never! 

So I just got the DACmini CX - it's very nice, and I do like it very much.  However, I do have a question.  Does it have to be plugged into a computer the whole time?

I plug my DAP in through the Coaxial, and my computer through the USB.  

When I play my DAP with the CX in coax, things work great.  However, the moment I unplug the USB (even though it's inactive), I am no longer able to switch the input or hear music from the DAP until I plug in the USB again!  I need to plug in the USB before the DAC becomes functional again.

I've emailed Centrance with this question, but I was hoping that community feedback could resolve this a little faster -and whether or not people have similar experiences.

Feb 4, 2016 at 8:44 PM Post #1,319 of 1,412
If I unplug the usb from my computer (PC) while the Dacmini is on (any input), then it freezes. If it's in standby mode, it's usually ok for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back