CEntrance DACmini DAC/Amplifier Official Thread
Apr 19, 2015 at 8:19 PM Post #1,261 of 1,412
  I had an issue with the PX and sent it back for repairs but after 1 week I still have not heard back from them even after they acknowledged receiving my unit.

I emailed them again to check but again no reply.

Is there any cause for concern and has anyone encountered this before?

CEntrance is very slow with communication and repairs in my past experience.  I had a DACmini CX repaired and it took just over 3 months from when I dropped it off to when it was returned to me.

Apr 24, 2015 at 7:09 PM Post #1,262 of 1,412
Anyone ever look inside to see what the 1-ohm version looks like?  Especially the bottom PCB that has the headamp, DAC, and upsampling chip.

Quote:
I just hopped in on the current CX Massdrop sale.

Quick question I will be using the CX with both my senn 650 and jh13 pro fp. I'm assuming I should go with the 1 ohm mod? Will it effect sound with the 650?

Regarding variable output I intend to use the CX line out into the upcoming Cavalli liquid carbon. Is it better to go for the variable output mod or not? I was thinking that it would be better not to as it may cause degradation of signal, etc. Any thoughts?

HD650's bass and soundstaging may be slightly less tight with the 1-ohm version.

Has anyone here tried the Schiit Wyrd with the Dacmini? Mine does not work at all and I'm wondering if it might possibly be a faulty Wyrd (it works with some of my dacs, but not others).

Wyrd adds a bit of latency, from what I'm told, that could be the cause.  I have a USB-SPDIF converter that doesn't work with my Wyrd, but anything else does.

Apr 24, 2015 at 7:14 PM Post #1,264 of 1,412
Thanks. In the 650 thread a lot of folks there think that the 650 benefits from lower output impedance devices.

It depends on the device.

Apr 25, 2015 at 1:45 AM Post #1,265 of 1,412

Wyrd adds a bit of latency, from what I'm told, that could be the cause.  I have a USB-SPDIF converter that doesn't work with my Wyrd, but anything else does.

The wyrd also doesn't work with my Echo2, which is a proaudio 2in/4out interface... BUT it works when I have the external power supply connected. Very strange.

Apr 27, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #1,266 of 1,412
Hey guys, I'm considering getting a CX because the two free upgrades on the site that shall not be named are very tempting. How does the CX match up to the Audinst HUD-mx2, Fostex HP-A4, and Matrix Mini-i PRO? Those are the other all-in-ones that I'm considering, but I can only find limited reviews on them through Google.

My only concern is that I already own an Asgard 2 and Modi 1, which are both powering my HE-400i. I know that the Modi and DACmini use the same chip, but I see a bunch of anecdotal evidence where people claim the CX is better than the Schiit stack, and even to the Asgard/Biifrost combo. Could this possibly come from how the DACmini is wired and isolated, or is a majority of this sentiment coming from the amp itself? Thanks!

Apr 29, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #1,267 of 1,412
Perhaps the most unheralded strength of both the CX and the PX is that they have really incredible power conditioners built right into them.  

If you have less than perfectly clean AC power, it's no problem with the DACmini CX or PX or even with the DACport and DACport LX. CEntrance put a lot of attention into literally re-manufacturing the power coming into these units. The first hint of this is that the CX and PX can be powered by your choice of any voltage ranging from 9V to 19V.  How is that possible?  

There's a team of little hard-hat wearing nanobots inside that separate all of the incoming electrons and stack them up in a big pile from which some more nanobots clean and polish them, then put them on a conveyor belt where yet more nanobots reassemble the electrons into exactly what each of the isolated DAC and analog circuits need to make clean, pure, music for your headphones!

Just kidding, of course, but seriously - compare the CEntrance design philosophy to the Beresford Bushmaster or Caiman DAC/amps and you'll understand why Stanley Beresford can sell his stuff for so much less - and - why you have to power the Beresford gear with a battery pack to enjoy a low noise floor.  

---

I'm still using my DACmini CX almost daily, to drive a battery-powered TBI Millennia MG3 speaker amp and Definitive Technology SM45 near-field monitors - which, together, present a very, very detailed, clean, and neutral reproduction of anything I pipe into the CX.  

I don't like listening to music with a laptop in front of me, so I use this setup as my auditioning station lately - where I use Tidal HiFi to find new music, marking favorites, creating playlists and such, for later playback at my recliner, with my more expensive HD800 setup, and without a laptop keyboard tempting me to surf and check email and such, instead of just relaxing and getting into the music.

Unfortunately (for the sake of my very patient and gracious wife) the table in formal dinging room has been my audio work bench for over four years now.

Here's how it typically looks - but the clutter changes rapidly - I'm sitting in front of a royal mess right now, as I type this.  
tongue.gif

I will likely never sell either my CEntrance DACmini CX or my Centrance LX. They are marvelous tools.

Mike

Apr 29, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #1,268 of 1,412
  There's a team of little hard-hat wearing nanobots inside that separate all of the incoming electrons and stack them up in a big pile from which some more nanobots clean and polish them, then put them on a conveyor belt where yet more nanobots reassemble the electrons into exactly what each of the isolated DAC and analog circuits need to make clean, pure, music for your headphones!

I will likely never sell either my CEntrance DACmini CX or my Centrance LX. They are marvelous tools.

Mike

C'mon Mike, get your science straight! Nanobots are way too big to handle that kind of structure. We need femtobots
biggrin.gif

As an aside, I think the Dacport may be discontinued soon. People better pick them up while they still have a chance.

Apr 29, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #1,269 of 1,412

C'mon Mike, get your science straight! Nanobots are way too big to handle that kind of structure. We need femtobots
biggrin.gif

As an aside, I think the Dacport may be discontinued soon. People better pick them up while they still have a chance.

Oh man!  You're so right!  But you have to be a super-geek to know about femtobots!   

Feel the praise!

biggrin.gif

Apr 30, 2015 at 12:26 AM Post #1,270 of 1,412
(let's just ignore the fact that electrons lack physical struture and are considered zero radius elementary particles... but uh I guess a theoretical representation of them puts them in the 10-15m scale... or something like that)

Jun 18, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #1,273 of 1,412
holy mother.. just received the dacmini cx (1ohm mod, variable output) from another site something like dassmop or something :) but man...gotta say i do not prefer it for my hd800's but my umpro50's... dear lord i do now believe in witchcraft and whatever centrance is doing in that tiny little silver box is surely the work from a seasoned dark arts doer. the bass punch, slight increase in highs comparative to the darker ish sounding umpro50's just make the entire back in black cd sound like something i haven't heard from before. i have been apart of this hobby for years and i have to say that i haven't felt an emotional attachment to the music like i have now listening to the CX since my dad left me in his truck while he inspected a c-5 hercules (not abuse- i was not allowed in there any more as i touched/moved/played with anything and everything and lockheed did not approve) this made time for me to simultaneously kill my fathers truck (didn't understand the truck needed to be running in order to prolong audio nirvana) and listen to this very acdc album at pretty much ear bustlingly high levels and loved every second of it... until it died, at max volume, and i could see my dad walking back to the truck apparently already angry because no one ever checked one of the engines for operation. anyways- thanks centrance- people never forget the way you made them feel and you made me feel like a scared ****less 11 year old about to get his ass tore up for killing his fathers truck and lying about listening to the music without it cranked like he asked me not to do- the proof was when he started it and the music was still turned up to the same level. i tore up his speakers and he tore up my ass. its okay though i told my mother and he slept on the couch for leaving me in the living room 
L3000.gif

Jun 18, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #1,275 of 1,412
I just received my DACmini today, and it finally made my DT990 600 Ohm sound as good as it is supposed to be ... until an hour ago. It just stop working ... no sound on both the headphone and the speaker on any of the input. :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back