CEntrance DACmini DAC/Amplifier Official Thread
Jun 8, 2011 at 5:15 AM Post #346 of 1,412
Hmmm maybe i read wrong :) I will have to give this a shot haha. Doh!

You sir are right... Sheesh! I feel a bit doey!

Quote:
Dacmini goes into standby when you cycle the source switch all the way left or all the way right.

I'm enjoying mine with LCD2.

Jun 8, 2011 at 9:07 AM Post #347 of 1,412

Quote:
Hmmm maybe i read wrong :) I will have to give this a shot haha. Doh!

You sir are right... Sheesh! I feel a bit doey!

No worries.  I asked the same question a couple of weeks after I received my Dacmini...and felt a bit "doey", too, when someone told me about this function.    :)

Jun 8, 2011 at 9:09 AM Post #348 of 1,412

Quote:
With a gain of 8 it can drive the HE-6 to normal volumes, but not as powerfully as would be optimal.  It drives the HE-500 much better.  

I posted impressions of HE-500 and comparisons using DACmini here:  http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/549413/hifiman-introduces-new-he-500-planar-magnetic-headphones/585#post_7515669  The HE-500 will be a little brighter than the LCD-2, and the HE-6 will be a little brighter than the HE-500.  I don't think either is excessively bright, and if you have a high freq hearing loss like me then the HiFiMan orthos would be a better choice.

Thanks for the information, HeadphoneAddict.  Very helpful.

Jun 8, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #349 of 1,412
I'm considering getting an DAC/AMP solution like Dacmini. My Current setup is Music Streamer 2+ with Head Direct EF5(upgraded opamps/Telefunken tube). Would the Dacmini be an upgrade or rather a sidegrade?

Jun 9, 2011 at 10:40 AM Post #350 of 1,412
I'm considering getting an DAC/AMP solution like Dacmini. My Current setup is Music Streamer 2+ with Head Direct EF5(upgraded opamps/Telefunken tube). Would the Dacmini be an upgrade or rather a sidegrade?

With listeners switching from benchmark and bel canto to the DACmini, I believe it would be an upgrade at DAC point of view.

Jun 9, 2011 at 11:26 AM Post #351 of 1,412

Quote:

Big upgrade.

Jun 9, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #353 of 1,412
Jun 10, 2011 at 9:18 AM Post #356 of 1,412

Quote:
Anyone using any 3rd party cables with the LCD-2 and DACmini that have brought on a noticeable improvement in sound?

From my perspective, considering I have the LCD-2's, the Dacmini and Steve Eddy's Q-Audio cables, Besides the obvious ergonomic benefits provided by the Q-audio cables which is worth the bread in itself, The soundstage seemed to open up slightly but the presentation quickened and sounded smoother without the sacrifice of detail. To me the Dacmini open up the high frequency  substantially. I enjoy this immensely over the stock cables which sounded a bit muffled in comparison. My wife who was opposed to me purchasing cables admitted the new cables sounded more musically accurate and could easily distinguish the difference considering her negative bias before even hearing the cables.

This is just an opinion and you have to make the final assertion yourself. Other more prominent members of this site also endorse the Q-Audio Cables even though they don't have the Dacmini to the best of my knowledge. Based on Kwkarth's recommendation I took the chance on the Q-Audio cables despite an earlier desire to purchase ALO cables but I am glad that I listened to his advice because it saved me a lot of money and I met a new friend. Steve Eddy's a stand up guy and I love supporting people like him and will continually give him my business.

I highly recommend giving the Q-Audio cables and the dacmini a listen to before you make the plunge. It is a great combo to put on your short list if you are looking for something economically viable without sacrificing sound quality. Good luck on your search. The traveling is fun but the final destination is even better once you get there.

Jun 10, 2011 at 10:41 AM Post #357 of 1,412
okay. I assume you have heard either MS2+ or a Dacmini that is not your own(considering that yours havn't arrived? I doubt the amp is a big upgrade but the DAC might be.

Well I have not heard the EF5, but the LCD2 sounds really good with DACmini. Lively, great imaging and soundstage.

Jun 10, 2011 at 1:28 PM Post #358 of 1,412

Quote:
okay. I assume you have heard either MS2+ or a Dacmini that is not your own(considering that yours havn't arrived? I doubt the amp is a big upgrade but the DAC might be.

I do not like the sound of the MS2+.  I never have.  It just doesn't do it for me.  The Dacmini that I heard, on the other hand, had definition, resolution, and sweetness, in spades.  It was very impressive.

Jun 10, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #359 of 1,412

Okay. I havn't compared MS2+ to any others DACs than my S:flo2 which it beats. I will try the Rega DAC soon and wonder if it is in the same league as DACmini or perhaps higher.
Quote:
I do not like the sound of the MS2+.  I never have.  It just doesn't do it for me.  The Dacmini that I heard, on the other hand, had definition, resolution, and sweetness, in spades.  It was very impressive.

Jun 10, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #360 of 1,412

Quote:
Okay. I havn't compared MS2+ to any others DACs than my S:flo2 which it beats. I will try the Rega DAC soon and wonder if it is in the same league as DACmini or perhaps higher.

I personally like the Rega DAC more, especially in bass.  Still, it depends on the listener and the music choices, and how it fits in to the overall rig.  I'd do a listen to both this weekend to double-check, but my Rega DAC is out for warranty repair/replacement right now.  Boooo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back