CEntrance DACmini DAC/Amplifier Official Thread
May 17, 2011 at 3:27 AM Post #256 of 1,412
I think he means shipping took 2 days. Mine took 3 1/2 weeks to build and then 6 days for shipping.

Quote:
Hmmm I ordered mine a week ago but didnt get a shipping notification yet. Greetings, Anouk,

May 17, 2011 at 3:52 AM Post #257 of 1,412
^^ That's what I meant. Mine also took that long from order to ship but it was out of stock at that time. I think they are in stock now but if you requested any custom mods it might take longer.

May 17, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #258 of 1,412
Well, my DACmini is here. Hooked up via digital coax right now to my comp.  Unfortunately, probably not much time to listen to them tonight since I have my normal Tuesday night plans.  Out of the box, however, sounds pretty promising.  Especially for its price.  With the LCD-2 it's nice and clear, good treble without excessive grain, good bass presence, and nice weight through the mids.  Some nice space and imaging.  It sounds a smidge muddy in some vocals, but that's at first blush without any break-in, trying different inputs, or time to get accustomed to the sound and is really really minor (and in comparison to my Assemblage->Stacker).  I'll definitely follow up after I get some time with it.

May 17, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #259 of 1,412
I too would like to have a gain swtich! The default gain of 8 is still a bit too much for IEMs, IMO.

Quote:
A few suggestions

While I like the almost shiny silver finish (is it sandblasted as opposed to brushed?) I would have liked to have had the option for a black one. While on the subject of finishes, I like the DACmini engraving on the top panel but the font usage doesn't seem consistent with what I've seen elswehere. DAC is using a thinner font, I assume the same as the word mini, but on the front panel and in other literature DAC uses a bolder font which IMO looks much nicer.

I've wondered whether the implentation of a gain switch might be of benefit for those who are using more sensitive IEM's and while on the same track, the addition of a second 1/8" input would be really cool as well.

And last, I haven't put the feet on yet, the DACmini is sitting on the foam from it's packaging, I'd love to see a better implementation for them, maybe something that screws on using the same screw holes as the base?

May 18, 2011 at 8:12 AM Post #260 of 1,412
Quote:
Does anyone know the D/A chip in this?  Or how it compares to the recent spate of Sabre D/As like the Peachtree Decco2,  EE Minimax, Wyred4Sound D1, or even something older like the Benchmark DAC1? 

Anyone? (vs W4S DAC-2)
I'm not expecting which one sounds 'better' but more towards how the 'color' difference between the two.

May 18, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #261 of 1,412
I received my Dacmini w/ variable out last week and have been enjoying it immensely! The sound quality is really good.  It clearly sounds on par with my Headroom Ultra Desktop/DAC and the Benchmark Dac1Pre.  I wont go into vague descriptions of sound quality other than to just say that it compares favorably with the other two amp/dacs in SQ.  I've been using ER4, RS1s and Dynaudio BM5A with the mini.  This single unit replaces a Headrom ultra micro stack and GoldPoint passive preamp triplet on my desk at work. 

Pros:
  1. Excellent SQ via phones and variable out
  2. Small footprint
  3. 24/96 over USB
  4. Works with Foobar/ASIO4ALL seamlessly
  5. HP jack is very solid
  6. Volume knob and input selection knob fluid yet sturdy
  7. Runs cool
  8. UL-listed power supply 

Cons:
  1. [Note: I have not contacted CEntrance prior to this review regarding the condition of the case...I should have done that to be fair]
  2. The case finish leaves a lot to be desired.  Although it mimics the Mac Mini finish, the quality is not the same.  The unit I received has small scratches and nicks in the top of the case, and a few nice gouges from what looks like prying instruments.  Furthermore, the case top/bottom and front/back really don't fit together that well resulting in uneven gaps all around.  Quite frankly it looks like a Chinese dac/amp you'd get off ebay for < $200. I wanted to open the case to take a look, but one of the hex screws is completely stripped.
  3. No gain switch.  I can barely get past 10 o'clock with both the phones and variable out to my monitors.

Suggestions to Centrance:
  1. Case quality control needs improvement
  2. Add a gain switch or internal jumpers for headphone out gain
  3. Add a gain switch or internal jumpers for line out
  4. Add a switch or internal jumper to toggle fixed/variable out
  5. ADD XLR out as an option

Some pics:

imag0430d.jpg

imag0434.jpg

imag0436m.jpg

imag0437eb.jpg

May 18, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #262 of 1,412
Hey Ert,

We are really sorry you are not happy with the condition of the case. Under no circumstances should you have received a unit with scratches. Please PM me directly so we can get you a unit without the scratches. If you are still not happy we do offer a 30-day money back guarantee on ALL products (no restocking fee).

Please let me know how I can help.

-Jonathan

May 18, 2011 at 7:17 PM Post #264 of 1,412

Quote:
Hey Ert,

We are really sorry you are not happy with the condition of the case. Under no circumstances should you have received a unit with scratches. Please PM me directly so we can get you a unit without the scratches. If you are still not happy we do offer a 30-day money back guarantee on ALL products (no restocking fee).

Please let me know how I can help.

-Jonathan

Thanks, I may take you up that.  I have noted in my review post that I should have contacted you guys first before complaining about it!

eric

May 19, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #265 of 1,412
Mine has just been shipped. Now I'm kind of worried about the quality of finish as I have read similar issues.

May 19, 2011 at 12:52 PM Post #266 of 1,412
Mine has just been shipped. Now I'm kind of worried about the quality of finish as I have read similar issues.

IMHO I think your worries are unfounded. Jason and Michael are good people and if it did come blemished they would take care of it. Also, When I received mine it was in pristine condition even though it traveled half way across the world to South Korea. With these boards you hear the complaints and they seem to be the predominant voice but most people who receive it don't feel the need to tell you theirs came in mint condition so it seems like these incidents are more common than they really are. Have faith and in the rare occurrence that you get something less than expected get in contact with Jason and Mike. Until then, prepare yourself. I got mine to go with my LCD-2's and I love the pairing. It leaves nothing to be desired for me.

May 19, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #267 of 1,412

Quote:
Quote:

IMHO I think your worries are unfounded. Jason and Michael are good people and if it did come blemished they would take care of it. Also, When I received mine it was in pristine condition even though it traveled half way across the world to South Korea. With these boards you hear the complaints and they seem to be the predominant voice but most people who receive it don't feel the need to tell you theirs came in mint condition so it seems like these incidents are more common than they really are. Have faith and in the rare occurrence that you get something less than expected get in contact with Jason and Mike. Until then, prepare yourself. I got mine to go with my LCD-2's and I love the pairing. It leaves nothing to be desired for me.

x2.  I just received mine, and there are no scratches, dings, smudges, or any other cosmetic issues.  If there were, given the level of communication that the vendor has already shown willing to go to, I'm sure any issues would be taken care of promptly.  Don't go raising your blood pressure and stress over something that may not ever happen, and even if it did, would probably be corrected. 
wink_face.gif

May 19, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #268 of 1,412

Quote:
even if it did, would DEFINITELY be corrected. 
wink_face.gif

Fixed for fact correction.
happy_face1.gif

Sorry if anyone has received a blemished unit. If you have please PM me and we will get it resolved immediately.

-Jonathan (aka Jason)

May 19, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #270 of 1,412
So, I've heard this pairs well with the LCD-2. I'd love to hear some first hand accounts. I've got the (slightly) harder to drive HE 500 on the way and I don't know if my beloved Decco2 will be able to handle it.

Think it'll be a good match for the HE 500? Heck, anyone use it with the D7000? I'd love to have a small (but powerful) set up for home use and a seperate reciever for powering speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back