cd VS record myth explained within!
Sep 23, 2007 at 11:27 AM Post #61 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Stuart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi memepool,
since you brought up the MC v MM thing. I use a Pickering V15, which is so musical, I have given serious thought to buying the top of the range Pickering hybrid, which needs a step-up Tx - any thoughts appreciated.

I am not familiar with the Pickering hybrid but I do have 2 CineMag CMQEE-3440A transformers on order to be used as step-ups with my Hagerman Bugle.These transformers were designed by the same person who designed the
Altec 4722 and reports indicate that these 2 transformers sound very similar.I am going to wire these so I have access to the 1:36 tap only which will result with a load of 37.5 ohms.This would be useful for most low output moving coil cartridges.Load resistors should not be required.A 1:18 tap is available on this transformer should the Pickering hybrid require a different load.A pair of these will cost $104.22 delivered from CineMag, Inc. I don't think you can do much better than these transformers at any price.Lots of information is available at the Vinyl Asylum.You can thank Garth for bringing this transformer to every one's attention.He just passed away not long ago.

Sep 23, 2007 at 2:56 PM Post #62 of 96
Quote:

Hi memepool,
since you brought up the MC v MM thing. I use a Pickering V15, which is so musical, I have given serious thought to buying the top of the range Pickering hybrid, which needs a step-up Tx - any thoughts appreciated.

The Cambridge Audio is the one everybody is raving about and offers a lot of configuration flexibility to adjust loadings etc as is common these days. I just upgraded to a Naim set up so I havn't been bothered to check it out. It's cheap, under a ton from Richer anyway.

Sep 25, 2007 at 6:53 AM Post #63 of 96
ssportclay & memepool, thanks for your individual recs,
I'm amazed more vinylheads hav'nt tried the Pickerings, perhaps because DJs use Pickerings it somehow lowers their status - this is crazy.The technology behind the XLZ-7500-S is sound and my only slight criticism with the V-15625E is a slight lack of extension at the top end.

I shall certainly check out both your recs. The Cinemags are the same price as the Pickering PLZ/DC powered (2 AA batteries) step-up, this uses all discrete components and can be configured for different loads. I personally don't mind mixing valve with s/s and that it is battery powered is a definate plus.

memepool - I'm shocked - a Naim set-up, please tell us your reason for this heresy, you do realise that the purists will be building the bonfire already don't you?

Sep 25, 2007 at 10:11 AM Post #64 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stereo review mentioned in its review that it was unplayable too. In this case, they did release an LP with an untrackable section.

If it was cannon fire then it's more a question of PPMs than DBs surely as capturing what a sound pressure wave of that kind of intensity sounds like is going to tax every element in the recording and playback chain be it analogue or digital.

Record playback actually has a better transient rise characteristic than any digital system yet produced and this is one of the very few statistics in it's favour.

Any decent turntable system will be able to play 25hz it's when the signal goes into the region of tonearm and bearing resonances around 6-12hz that mistracking is going to happen and cannon fire or a large pipe organ are the only sounds commonly found in a piece of music that you are likely to find acoustically recorded which are in this region.

Still I find it hard to believe that any record company would release a completely unplayable recording of the 1812. More likely unplayable for all but the very finest of turntable equipment that was available in the 1970's or whenever this came out. Tonearm design has certainly come on since then and an arm like the Rega RB250 would have less issues I'd guess.

Electronic music is a completely different matter. If you want a rolling bass like you find on the average Drum and Bass record it's simply a case of dialing it in on a synthesiser or computer. Reproducing this kind of sound is another matter which is why Reggae and now Drum and Bass soundsystems are specifically built for this purpose.

Black Stuart -
confused.gif
I thought the Flat Earthers were the purists... Personally I don't really do valves although I have heard very good valve based equipment...

Sep 25, 2007 at 5:02 PM Post #65 of 96
It wasn't the 1812. It was the Carmen Suite. I think the problem was that the record company didn't want to apply compression to the huge peak. They went ahead and pressed it WAY out of spec. The same thing plays fine on CD.

See ya
Steve

Sep 25, 2007 at 8:31 PM Post #67 of 96
Quote:

ssportclay & memepool, thanks for your individual recs,
I'm amazed more vinylheads hav'nt tried the Pickerings, perhaps because DJs use Pickerings it somehow lowers their status - this is crazy.The technology behind the XLZ-7500-S is sound and my only slight criticism with the V-15625E is a slight lack of extension at the top end.

I shall certainly check out both your recs. The Cinemags are the same price as the Pickering PLZ/DC powered (2 AA batteries) step-up, this uses all discrete components and can be configured for different loads. I personally don't mind mixing valve with s/s and that it is battery powered is a definate plus.

memepool - I'm shocked - a Naim set-up, please tell us your reason for this heresy, you do realise that the purists will be building the bonfire already don't you?

The debate of the merits between a passive Step-up transformer and an active SS headamp to amplify a moving coil cartridge is still one of the biggest in audio.One of the inmates over at the vinyl asylum thinks his Cinemag transformers sound a little better than his Hagerman Piccolo headamp.Many vacuum tube phono stage users also prefer step-up transformers because they don't like the idea of contaminating their signal paths with evil transistor amplification.Still others feel that a very good active SS headamp has the potential to sound better than is possible with any transformer.My own feeling is that the debate is pointless without a very good turntable and tonearm.

Sep 26, 2007 at 1:01 AM Post #68 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by memepool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which version I'd like to hear it?

Telarc Mazaal? It was one of the first digital recordings to appear on LP- before CDs were introduced.

See ya
Steve

Sep 26, 2007 at 3:42 AM Post #69 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by memepool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where did anyone say anything about a "real" by which I suppose you mean acoustically recorded drum? I said a Roland TR 808 Bass Drum or pretty much any analogue synthsiser goes as low as the only "real" instrument capable of this kind of frequncy, which is a large church organ.

Record the 40hz drum and play it back at half speed.

Back to the original subject, check out an old song called "Big Ten Inch" by Bullmoose Jackson.

Sep 26, 2007 at 9:20 AM Post #71 of 96
ssportclay,
I can't stand all that polarized bigotry.

Since I got into valve gear about 10 years ago, I'd yet to hear s/s that can compete, or so I thought.

I have a WAD SET valve h/amp, I modded it to the heavens but still was'nt happy, so bought a Bada PH12. Initially I was'nt pleased that I laid out good money for it.

However after some quite simple mods, it's an absolute beauty and I don't need to think further about h/amps. Now what is the Bada - a hybrid using a valve front end and mosfet o/put.

The Txs you rec. are a very reasonable price, so is the Pickering step-up, so, why should'nt I try both?

The thing is that the XLZ-7500-S is'nt an MC, it's a low o/put MM, I have an idea that it may have similarities with Len Gregories 'moving iron' cartridge.

Re. the passive thing, many swear by a passive pre, others say they lack sparkle. Personally I think it's a case of 'whatever floats your boat'. I simply can't be done with following 'the party line' of either s/s or valve/tube.

Look at what Guido Tent is doing with CDPs - they are'nt cheap but look at what you get for your money - AN copper PIOs, his excellant clock, pity he chose ECC83s instead of 6SN7 or 12SN7.

CD or vinyl - why not CD & vinyl, a lot of stuff I want to listen to is only available on CD now.

Your comment about using a quality TT and arm, are of course spot on. I would also add, the need to re-think about what constitutes the best tonearm and phono out from a TT too.

I have a Kenwood KD TT and nearly 30 years ago when they introduced this series of TTs they used solid core silver wire for the tonearm, quite revolutionary. Trouble was they then spoiled the signal run using stranded copper for the phono outs, replacing this raised the quality of an already very good TT.

There are still those who spout about the noise of a TT compared to CDPs - total BS and you wonder whether they have ever listened to a really good TT set-up. When I first set-up the Kenwood I was shocked at the silent background, it's noise floor equals and betters some CDPs. This silence allows so much more detail to come through - hence my interest in the hybrid Pickering, I suppose since I love the rich, organic house sound of Pickering, I don't feel a need to spend lots on MCs.

There is a guy in the UK who is doing a lot of work with Hypex modules, put a really good valve front end in - it could be the end of valve power amps.

I'm interested in quality playback and feel absolutely no purist or herd need to belong to one school or another - mix and match/ CD & vinyl - as long as it's good.

Sep 26, 2007 at 2:05 PM Post #73 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Iam talking from stoned experience here
wink.gif

Ah, So Doritos were involved?
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by zowie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Record the 40hz drum and play it back at half speed.

Back to the original subject, check out an old song called "Big Ten Inch" by Bullmoose Jackson.

And remade by Aerosmith, as someone already stated. It's on "Toys In The Attic".

Sep 26, 2007 at 2:11 PM Post #74 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, So Doritos were involved?
wink.gif

It's no laughing matter. I read that Amsterdam is making the koffie shops non-smoking places next year, and a third of the red bulbs are getting switched off. Say cheese
biggrin.gif

Sep 26, 2007 at 5:39 PM Post #75 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by itripalot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
records make a much better frisbee than cds....

Not if they're made of shellac.

See ya
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back