cd VS record myth explained within!
Sep 26, 2007 at 5:44 PM Post #76 of 96
Sep 26, 2007 at 5:46 PM Post #77 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And remade by Aerosmith, as someone already stated. It's on "Toys In The Attic".

That is to Bullmoose Jackson what David Lee Roth's version of "I Ain't Got Nobody" was to the original Louis Prima version. And what was the name of that guy who put out the album of wimpy Louis Jordan covers?

See ya
Steve

Sep 26, 2007 at 9:31 PM Post #78 of 96
The Pickering XLZ-7500-S cartridge is rated for a 100 ohm load which is the standard for most moving coil cartridges.Any transformers that work well for moving coil cartridges should work for the Pickering too.

Sep 26, 2007 at 9:50 PM Post #79 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have figured it out! after about a month of listening to primarily records at home, my CD player not even turned on the elusive "reason" behind the superior sound of vinyl has been found by ME.
[/LIST]
  1. CD's are small, records are BIG. as seen in the speaker example bigger is better.

discussion is welcome.

LPs need no stinkin' Red Book!

LPs will last forever, one in particular made of gold will probably survive the destruction of our solar system, the one on V'ger that is.

Sep 27, 2007 at 3:21 PM Post #82 of 96
The main reason why people think, or actually hear that records sounds better then cd is that records trebble extension is not cut off like cd's are.
hence it sounds livelier and more airy in that region.

Both can sound equally good, if you do cd right. Both are not cheap anymore to do it right. A good record player can easally set you back as much money as a good cdplayer.

Tubes and records are here to stay, they are still kicking and alive, because they can provide something that most newer electronics cannot do; lifelike sound.

Sep 27, 2007 at 5:37 PM Post #83 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The main reason why people think, or actually hear that records sounds better then cd is that records trebble extension is not cut off like cd's are.

LPs generally have a high frequency rolloff too. Frequencies above 20kHz don't add anything to music.

See ya
Steve

Sep 27, 2007 at 5:53 PM Post #84 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by memepool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They can rot though...

Maybe, I have 600+ CDs, about 100 dating back to 1984 - 1988 - not one has shown any signs of rot so far.

Sep 27, 2007 at 6:04 PM Post #85 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe, I have 600+ CDs, about 100 dating back to 1984 - 1988 - not one has shown any signs of rot so far.

the ones I have are stamped made by PDO (Philips Dupont Optical) in the UK between 1986-1994. About 70 are rotting

cdrot3.jpg

discolouration and small holes near the spindle hole and edges of the disc are the most common signs. Audible artifacting sounds like low level crackle but not like on a record where you can still hear the music through the crackle. With CD rot it's as though the recording is gradually being swallowed by crackle which is what's happening. They'll probably be completely unplayable within 5-10 years.

Analogue is a much better archiving format as even when it decays it's still playable whereas with digital it's more all or nothing.

Sep 27, 2007 at 6:25 PM Post #86 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Frequencies above 20kHz don't add anything to music.

Rewriting audio science? Sharp attack and decay times have HF contents that extend beyound 20KHz. Triangles, bells, xylophones etc have HF responses that extend above 20KHz.

Sep 27, 2007 at 6:27 PM Post #87 of 96
You can change a pick up cartridge to adjust the flavour of the sound output, but you can't do the same by changing the laser pick up in a CD player.

Sep 27, 2007 at 9:05 PM Post #88 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rewriting audio science? Sharp attack and decay times have HF contents that extend beyound 20KHz. Triangles, bells, xylophones etc have HF responses that extend above 20KHz.

I didn't say that there isn't ultra high frequency sound. I said that it doesn't add anything to the perception of music. Studies have shown that although humans can detect sound pressure above 20kHz, there's no indication that it improves sound quality in any way. The frequencies that make the most difference are between around 100Hz and 10kHz. That's the band where the vast majority of what we perceive as music resides.

Ultra high frequencies can definitely make sound worse though. I remember going to the Sears store when I was a kid. It had ranks upon ranks of flourescent lights on the ceiling. They put off a massive high frequency squeal that was so high, even with 10 year old ears I could barely hear it. But it was a constant irritation. I couldn't imagine how anyone could work there all day under that headache inducing din.

See ya
Steve

Sep 27, 2007 at 9:06 PM Post #89 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can change a pick up cartridge to adjust the flavour of the sound output, but you can't do the same by changing the laser pick up in a CD player.

That's what equalization is for. It's better to have flat response in a CD player and adjust the coloration in the preamp than it is to try to color each component individually.

See ya
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back