CCA in ear monitors Impressions Thread
Jun 15, 2020 at 5:04 PM Post #1,621 of 3,770
Hi, can anyone of those lucky enough to have CA16 compare them to TRN BA5?

Trying to decide between those two but there is no direct comparsion yet.

Jun 15, 2020 at 9:04 PM Post #1,622 of 3,770
Hi, would anyone recommend the new cca ca16 for monitoring in a live band setup or any other CCA models? Currently, I am debating whether to get the c12 or the new ca16. Would really appreciate you help :D

I haven't tried them yet, but my 2 cents is that usually vented IEMs (eg with dynamic drivers like in the CCA CA16) generally have poorer isolation than pure BA setups which are not vented.

I'll cut and paste something I wrote in another thread about stage monitoring and IEMs:

For using CHIFI for stage monitoring, my priority in an IEM is:
1) Isolation is the first priority in stage monitoring - to protect hearing health and also to hear the music better and play the music at the softest possible volume. Bass frequencies are also the first to be lost in a bad isolating IEM in a noisy environment. So what this means is, in general strike out single DD sets (which are usually vented) or open backed sets as they will let in noise. In general multi BA sets which are usually unvented will do the best job at isolation.
2) Which brings us to the second priority, of technical performance eg clarity, details, imaging, instrument separation. In general at the budget segment, multi BA/hybrids also do a better job at these areas than single DD sets.
3) The third priority is to have something neutralish in sound signature so as not to overtly colour certain frequencies. If u have EQ on the fly or have soundmen assisting you, then no biggie buying some V shaped sets like the KZs and u can EQ the bass and treble downwards to get something more balanced.
4) My 4th priority is comfort for long term use on stage. I find the smaller bean shaped type shells like in Shure and Westone give the best comfort. The lower audiosense models (other than the flagship T800) all have similar bean shapes or very comfortable resin shells.

From having read the CCA CA16 reviews and the CCA C12 reviews (I don't have both, so take my impressions with a pinch of salt), is that they are vented and they are V shaped/U shaped, though they have good technical performance. If u can EQ on the fly then u can make the sound more neutralish, though the question about isolation remains since they are vented. Maybe check with the rest about the isolation if they have tried these sets on the train or bus (~ 70 - 80 dB sometimes). Live music can hit north of 100 dB, so even though a set seems to isolate well for home use according to users, it doesn't protect the hearing in real live performances.

Though personally, I would recommend one of the Audiosense T180, T260, T300 sets, as they would fufill the above 4 criteria easily for good price to performance ratio. They are pure BA setups and very comfortable with good isolation and neutralish tuning.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #1,623 of 3,770
Another CCA CA16 video review, this time from Porta.Fi

Jun 17, 2020 at 9:23 PM Post #1,624 of 3,770
For using CHIFI for stage monitoring, my priority in an IEM is:
1) Isolation is the first priority in stage monitoring - to protect hearing health and also to hear the music better and play the music at the softest possible volume. Bass frequencies are also the first to be lost in a bad isolating IEM in a noisy environment. So what this means is, in general strike out single DD sets (which are usually vented) or open backed sets as they will let in noise. In general multi BA sets which are usually unvented will do the best job at isolation.

Doesn't that effectively disqualify all DD IEMs? I don't know of a single decent one anything that doesn't have some sort of venting.

Jun 17, 2020 at 9:32 PM Post #1,625 of 3,770
Doesn't that effectively disqualify all DD IEMs? I don't know of a single decent one anything that doesn't have some sort of venting.

I have the DUNU DM-480 and it has isolation close to 30 dB as it is a dual DD set without vents. Very interesting isobaric push configuration thingy.
It doesn't have the best technicalities/timbre, but it has good soundstage and fit, and superb subbass extension, hence I use the DM-480 as my daily transit beater set for these reasons + the isolation.

But yes, in general I prefer multi BA sets for stage monitoring cause they usually are unvented and have better isolation, plus they tend to be technically better than single DD sets at the budget price range.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2020 at 9:34 PM Post #1,626 of 3,770

Pretty much. One exception off the top of my head would be KZ ZS3, ZS3E, and ZS4. They’re dynamics (except for the ZS4 which is a hybrid) with isolation approaching ear plugs. Cheap too.

They’re v shaped though. But the ZS3E is worth buying just to try. It can be had for like $7-$8 during sales. Plus they look really nice, especially the red. Shell is extremely ergonomic shaped, but be aware that it doesn’t fit everyone so YMMV.

You can also try the KBEar F1. No vents at all (since it’s a single BA), flatish tuning, great isolation, very small. Goofy L shaped shell, but it’s comfy and you can wear it up or down. Usually sells for $20-$25. Totally clear color can’t even really be seen by your audience, if ear monitor stealth is important to you.

Last recommendation would be the Audiosense T180. Another single BA, Fairly flat tuning, good isolation, comfy bean shaped shell.

Another nice thing about dynamics like the ZS3E is their robustness. With BA earphones, one drop on a hard surface can kill them. Dynamics aren’t indestructible of course, but their are nowhere near as fragile as BAs. Something to consider if you’re crowd surfing, stage diving, smashing amps with guitars, head banging, etc.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2020 at 10:45 AM Post #1,627 of 3,770
Yet another review of the CCA CA16:

Jun 18, 2020 at 2:14 PM Post #1,629 of 3,770
Not necessarily. It depends if sound coming in from the vent directly communicates with the nozzle (tubeless design) vs if sound is not directly communicating (such as a tubed design).

Jun 19, 2020 at 6:22 PM Post #1,631 of 3,770
I'm hoping a coupon of the CCA CA16 pops up domestically like one did for the BLON BL-05. CA12 is my current favorite IEM. The BLON was kind of disappointing based on all the hype the BL-03 had.

Great review Paul, very detailed, the flavour of the CA16 you describe is how I imagined it to be. I would be very interested to hear thoughts from people that have both C12 and CA16? - I just got the C12 and I can't decide if I like them, they are certainly detail central, I wondered how musical they are for pure enjoyment compared to a slightly more recessed treble like the CA16 etc. Bhazard you have inspired me to give them another proper good listen again, I am interested to hear what you like about them compared to other chi fi sets you own? I only I have a limited and not ideal selection of other similar IEM's to compare them to.

Jun 20, 2020 at 6:56 AM Post #1,633 of 3,770
The new BLON BL-05 (single CNT DD) only has a tiny vent on the inner surface. With good tips (e.g. Spiral Dots) the isolation and seal are excellent. The sound profile is also not too V shaped and detail is good.

Jun 20, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #1,634 of 3,770
The new BLON BL-05 (single CNT DD) only has a tiny vent on the inner surface. With good tips (e.g. Spiral Dots) the isolation and seal are excellent. The sound profile is also not too V shaped and detail is good.

BL-05 has 2 vents. The rear (bass) vent is located behind the gold cover:

D8602F4E-6C6A-4C6D-BEF9-FBC1520B9FE5.jpeg
6CF2C49C-B5B9-49D2-A328-6731DBC954F2.jpeg

Jun 20, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #1,635 of 3,770

Users who are viewing this thread

Back