CCA in ear monitors Impressions Thread
Jun 24, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #1,651 of 3,770
Don't intend to ruin your hopes but thr CA16 shell is using KZ Z1 shell so, the nozzles are smaller than previous CCA / KZ IEMs, spiral dot and dot++ a bit wobbly on them. Azla sedna fit well though
:thumbsup:Thanks for this info. That means KZ uses this shell for many of their TWS. My E10 has it. It fits me very well, so I may consider their TWS, even though E10 failed within a month:triportsad:.
BTW, this is a good thing for people with narrow ear canal because it allows deep insertion with smaller tips. I use large tips on most of my universal, and small on CCA CA16.

Jun 24, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #1,652 of 3,770
:thumbsup:Thanks for this info. That means KZ uses this shell for many of their TWS. My E10 has it. It fits me very well, so I may consider their TWS, even though E10 failed within a month:triportsad:.
BTW, this is a good thing for people with narrow ear canal because it allows deep insertion with smaller tips. I use large tips on most of my universal, and small on CCA CA16.

Im still using azla sedna short light ML size for this shell. I got M too but they just barely seal inside there.

Jun 24, 2020 at 12:08 PM Post #1,653 of 3,770
such a praise from a guy that had IER-Z1R and Legend X. I think i should grab em.. ugh.. how about upper mids on 5-6khz? seems like they boosted that region. is it too much or too pronounced? how is the note weight particularly on mids?
Please don't get carried away here:dt880smile:. I sold my LX because, on every source without parametric EQ, I couldn't make the lower end to stop smothering resolution and collapsing soundstage, without ruining natural tonality by EQ. I guess I'm not that good with EQ-ing, or we're not giving enough credit to the immense precision of IEM tuning. LX treble is something that IMHO is a real achievement rather than bass.
IER-z1r is a very good IEM, sound-wise, but the fit was making it impossible to get full performance without very deep insertion that was damaging my smaller left ear canal, and most of the time it was too bright for me. That said, IER-z1r has the best treble. Period! Not even EST and planar that I've heard can compare.
I'm not sure I can answer your question right now, as it turns out ca16 affected by burn-in more than I initially thought. I'll get back to you on that. The bass continues to increase, now affecting the soundstage that has reduced a bit after my late-night listening and falling asleep till 3 am(Source: USB Creative SXFI DAC-AMP I keep phone on wireless charger with USB DAC connected so the battery won't drain https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZVHD2M6/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_10?smid=A3ISN3IGK0NJQ9&psc=1)
My hearing also somewhat changing (as mentioned in my signature). Will do more comparisons with FH7, A6mini, TRN VX & KZ ZSX, and later on the desktop setup - against reference: IER-M9 (Not entirely appropriate, but I have to use perfect reference and M9 is as perfect as I can muster right now). I'm totally aboard with BGGARs attention to brass percussion, especially Cymbals. 5-6K range tuning is extremely important for cymbals and this morning I'm starting to get some issues with it. Seems sounding dryer and thinner than yesterday.
So, I'm switching to Amazon HD for critical listening and it helps that bass has increased, as it will match better to that source. Also, whatever BA is used in ca16, they seem to change slightly too. (Yes, BA burn-in too!.)
May I ask you, do you find Ceramic twitter treble on NX7p better than LZ A6mini? It's relevant, because NX7(not pro) has very large and airy soundstage, airiest of them all, but only if you can tolerate the brightness and weird tonal balance. Compared to that CA16 while not dark, certainly less bright and airy sounding and soundstage defined not by sheer openness and transparency, but also by some cavernous room resonance(like H40).

Jun 24, 2020 at 12:27 PM Post #1,654 of 3,770
OK (I'm weak) just ordered. I'll be doing a death match (one of them will be gifted to a friend) between the CA16 and the NX7 Pro.

$47 USD, via the mobile app, from the same store that I bought the NX7 Pro from.
Great price! You mean AliExpress store?
Also, these are very different sound signatures. I own original NX7 and must say, it's the best implementation of ceramic twitter(I in a reasonable price range, as I've not heard NA Khan of course). I would keep both, but CA16 indeed so easy to recommend, should make a good gift option. I wish I've ordered 2 more of CA16 for the price I paid for Reecho&Peackock Spring 🤦‍♂️ with $10 to spare.

Jun 24, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #1,655 of 3,770
Im still using azla sedna short light ML size for this shell. I got M too but they just barely seal inside there.
Here are some cheap but effective options for you to consider:
1593016979139.png1593016884733.png
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DN76XSX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082WJGPWL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s03?ie=UTF8&psc=1
But not for CA16. these have 4.5mm base.

Jun 24, 2020 at 3:05 PM Post #1,656 of 3,770
...how about upper mids on 5-6khz? seems like they boosted that region. is it too much or too pronounced? how is the note weight particularly on mids?
@DynamicEars question prompted me to refresh my knowledge on frequencies. We used to consider everything above 4K to be treble. I'm old enough to remember those times🦕:radio:. I highly recommend this resource below as much more nuanced than Head-Fi common audiophile concepts.
https://decibelcar.com/bass-treble-hertz-which-hz-is-which-range/
1593020803023.png1593021045276.png1593022751505.png
I probably was correct in my initial assumption that 5-6K range is critical for cymbals sounding thick and juicy and not like they're made of copper foil.
The sound of CA16 is starting to remind me not thick and juicy H40 but rather $500 iBasso it04, which has a peak at 8-10K actually as well as emphasis on lower sub-bass rumble. As I said earlier - it's a clear attempt at audiophile tuning by CCA. I will have now to add it04 to my comparative listening. Oh man, what a rabbit hole... I don't expect though that CA16 can punch up to that level. The only IEM I've ever heard that tops that,- is Sony IER-z1r, not even Legend X. Daa, I'm not a fan of LX bass🤷‍♂️. There is a reason why it04 still is not discounted 2 years later... (oh, yea, it04 also has massive sound-stage or it wouldn't be my favorite).
Late afternoon now. My hearing approaching it's best. Keep enjoying CA16 but now it's time for big gun comparison. it04,FH7, MS4, IER-M9 + desktop setup. Forgot to mention that all morning it was on BTR5, then on Shanling UP4 via LDAC. Also, now I cannot bear H40 bass anymore, so done with that comparison. So far - a clear advantage of H40 with thick forward vocals (the strength of Hidiz MS4 as well) but I like CA16 more distant presentation too - with more extension on both ends BTW, even though H40 bass punch is only topped by MS4, it04 and maybe Z5(& possibly Penon Orb, another new toy, I'm playing with:ksc75smile:). That's not to say that CA16 is lacking, but keep in mind that this is coming from someone who loves Blessing 2 which is notorious for it's de-tuned DD bass (borrowed this term from @Dsnuts, hope u don't mind :))

Jun 24, 2020 at 9:48 PM Post #1,657 of 3,770
Please don't get carried away here:dt880smile:. I sold my LX because, on every source without parametric EQ, I couldn't make the lower end to stop smothering resolution and collapsing soundstage, without ruining natural tonality by EQ. I guess I'm not that good with EQ-ing, or we're not giving enough credit to the immense precision of IEM tuning. LX treble is something that IMHO is a real achievement rather than bass.
IER-z1r is a very good IEM, sound-wise, but the fit was making it impossible to get full performance without very deep insertion that was damaging my smaller left ear canal, and most of the time it was too bright for me. That said, IER-z1r has the best treble. Period! Not even EST and planar that I've heard can compare.
I'm not sure I can answer your question right now, as it turns out ca16 affected by burn-in more than I initially thought. I'll get back to you on that. The bass continues to increase, now affecting the soundstage that has reduced a bit after my late-night listening and falling asleep till 3 am(Source: USB Creative SXFI DAC-AMP I keep phone on wireless charger with USB DAC connected so the battery won't drain https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZVHD2M6/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_10?smid=A3ISN3IGK0NJQ9&psc=1)
My hearing also somewhat changing (as mentioned in my signature). Will do more comparisons with FH7, A6mini, TRN VX & KZ ZSX, and later on the desktop setup - against reference: IER-M9 (Not entirely appropriate, but I have to use perfect reference and M9 is as perfect as I can muster right now). I'm totally aboard with BGGARs attention to brass percussion, especially Cymbals. 5-6K range tuning is extremely important for cymbals and this morning I'm starting to get some issues with it. Seems sounding dryer and thinner than yesterday.
So, I'm switching to Amazon HD for critical listening and it helps that bass has increased, as it will match better to that source. Also, whatever BA is used in ca16, they seem to change slightly too. (Yes, BA burn-in too!.)
May I ask you, do you find Ceramic twitter treble on NX7p better than LZ A6mini? It's relevant, because NX7(not pro) has very large and airy soundstage, airiest of them all, but only if you can tolerate the brightness and weird tonal balance. Compared to that CA16 while not dark, certainly less bright and airy sounding and soundstage defined not by sheer openness and transparency, but also by some cavernous room resonance(like H40).

The piezoelectric on NX7 Pro i found them to be detailed, with very great extension. But i cant say they are better than LZ A6's piezo because of the tonality and timbre. the NX7 Pro piezo have overboosted upper trebles, around 12khz to 16khz that made unnatural tizziness, not harsh sibilance or fatiguing, but its something unnatural even they are good and detailed. Something like over-photoshopped images, that beautiful and a lot of people like because more conrast and vivid colors but you know that they are gone through post processing, still some people enjoy them but its not natural if you can get what i mean. On other side the LZ A6 piezo is more done naturally so soundstage is more natural than NX7 Pro, and more natural than Spring 1 too on air, soundstage, etc.
Some other fact that i can share is, whatever filter that you are using for NX7 Pro and LZ A6 mini, they seems doesnt affect that upper trebles but rather have most effect on high mids area (2khz-6khz) because of that damper behind the grill. I've been experimented with a lot of IEM with mods, so the best i can get with NX7 Pro is using red filter (which is the RAW, or unfiltered or you can say its the original NX7, hence little easier to mod because you can open the grill) with little mods, 2 little stripes of micropore tape but make sure dont block entire grill (or you lost some texture and air), and piece of cotton cut inside that tame the upper treble part.

@DynamicEars question prompted me to refresh my knowledge on frequencies. We used to consider everything above 4K to be treble. I'm old enough to remember those times🦕:radio:. I highly recommend this resource below as much more nuanced than Head-Fi common audiophile concepts.
https://decibelcar.com/bass-treble-hertz-which-hz-is-which-range/

I probably was correct in my initial assumption that 5-6K range is critical for cymbals sounding thick and juicy and not like they're made of copper foil.
The sound of CA16 is starting to remind me not thick and juicy H40 but rather $500 iBasso it04, which has a peak at 8-10K actually as well as emphasis on lower sub-bass rumble. As I said earlier - it's a clear attempt at audiophile tuning by CCA. I will have now to add it04 to my comparative listening. Oh man, what a rabbit hole... I don't expect though that CA16 can punch up to that level. The only IEM I've ever heard that tops that,- is Sony IER-z1r, not even Legend X. Daa, I'm not a fan of LX bass🤷‍♂️. There is a reason why it04 still is not discounted 2 years later... (oh, yea, it04 also has massive sound-stage or it wouldn't be my favorite).
Late afternoon now. My hearing approaching it's best. Keep enjoying CA16 but now it's time for big gun comparison. it04,FH7, MS4, IER-M9 + desktop setup. Forgot to mention that all morning it was on BTR5, then on Shanling UP4 via LDAC. Also, now I cannot bear H40 bass anymore, so done with that comparison. So far - a clear advantage of H40 with thick forward vocals (the strength of Hidiz MS4 as well) but I like CA16 more distant presentation too - with more extension on both ends BTW, even though H40 bass punch is only topped by MS4, it04 and maybe Z5(& possibly Penon Orb, another new toy, I'm playing with:ksc75smile:). That's not to say that CA16 is lacking, but keep in mind that this is coming from someone who loves Blessing 2 which is notorious for it's de-tuned DD bass (borrowed this term from @Dsnuts, hope u don't mind :))

I actually prefer the bass quantity in between H40 and Blessing 2 level. A slightly more than M9 level sub - mid bass with dynamic would be perfect. Do you think the CA16 bass quantity is around there? you have mentioned a lot about their bass quality looked like they are very capable even only using 7mm sized DD, i was skeptical about the 7mm DD size there, particularly about the dynamics and the punch (controlled punch but not overdone mid bass bleed, snappy yet punchy if not asking too much)

Jun 25, 2020 at 12:07 AM Post #1,658 of 3,770
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_
The piezoelectric on NX7 Pro i found them to be detailed, with very great extension. But i cant say they are better than LZ A6's piezo because of the tonality and timbre. the NX7 Pro piezo have overboosted upper trebles, around 12khz to 16khz that made unnatural tizziness, not harsh sibilance or fatiguing, but its something unnatural even they are good and detailed. Something like over-photoshopped images, that beautiful and a lot of people like because more conrast and vivid colors but you know that they are gone through post processing, still some people enjoy them but its not natural if you can get what i mean. On other side the LZ A6 piezo is more done naturally so soundstage is more natural than NX7 Pro, and more natural than Spring 1 too on air, soundstage, etc.
Some other fact that i can share is, whatever filter that you are using for NX7 Pro and LZ A6 mini, they seems doesnt affect that upper trebles but rather have most effect on high mids area (2khz-6khz) because of that damper behind the grill. I've been experimented with a lot of IEM with mods, so the best i can get with NX7 Pro is using red filter (which is the RAW, or unfiltered or you can say its the original NX7, hence little easier to mod because you can open the grill) with little mods, 2 little stripes of micropore tape but make sure dont block entire grill (or you lost some texture and air), and piece of cotton cut inside that tame the upper treble part.
I actually prefer the bass quantity in between H40 and Blessing 2 level. A slightly more than M9 level sub - mid bass with dynamic would be perfect. Do you think the CA16 bass quantity is around there? you have mentioned a lot about their bass quality looked like they are very capable even only using 7mm sized DD, i was skeptical about the 7mm DD size there, particularly about the dynamics and the punch (controlled punch but not overdone mid bass bleed, snappy yet punchy if not asking too much)
This is a genre that I occasionally listen to and I chose this couple of pop songs to test for dreadful "LX effect" when IEM with overly strong bass will start smothering the resolution and soundstage my lose 3d property.
#4 iBasso it01: I started to forget what a fun iem this is with bass to die for, but its blessing is the curse here. With dominant sub-bass rumble, - it starts sounding congested rather quickly. It faired the worst unless you only care about awesome bass and the rest be damned.
#3 ISN H40 The fullness and thickness that makes it soo good for alternative & acoustic - smothers otherwise good soundstage and the depth disappears for the most part.
#2 CCA CA16 Good balance of the fulness+rumble and resolution on the other side. Soundstage suffers somewhat but doesn't lose 3d property and layering.
#1 TRN VX & LZ A6mini On this music they shine. their V FR doesn't sound deep and full enough on instrumental/symphonic, alternative, acoustic or ambient, but suffers the least from LX effect and retains clarity and 3d soundstage throughout the entire song. #1 choice for bass-heavy music due to very well separated sub-buss.
So, my verdict would be that CA16 is a good all-rounder. it01 & H40 - genre dependant, having high privilege to be in a good company with Legend X and its curse.
VX - bassy music choice. As for Blessing2, - not worthy to include it to this comparison because it didn't do well at all - Bass ramble is not filling the stage and it makes it shallow, even though it had no loss of resolution, - its bass is too anemic for this genre.
FH7 and it04 are on the next level, but that is expected, since both also performing above their $500 price range.
If you have A6mini, - TRN VX is redundant since IMHO, A6mini is superior to VX in soundstage, bass quality, and overall tonal balance.

I actually prefer the bass quantity in between H40 and Blessing 2 level
CA16 is between BL2 & H40, rather close to H40 actually. It has about the same 20-40hz level, less of the low 2 mid-bass, lighter, and a bit more distant spacious presentation. Bass has plenty of rumble but more polite than H40. CA16 treble is leaning toward greater extension and lighter(thinner) note weight but not as pronounced as TRN VX or Blessing 2.

Jun 25, 2020 at 3:23 AM Post #1,660 of 3,770
Are the recent posts in this thread calling the C16 CA16? Those are different. AFAIK only the C16 would make a meaningful comparo with the NX7 and other piezo models.
C16 is darker sounding than CA16, so why C16 would be comparable to NX7 more?
If you read my earlier posts, I mention C16, that I also own, regarding CCA reputation for making iems with great soundstage that led me to blind purchase of CA16 from Linsoul instead of waiting for sale on Ali. Paid full $65 for it(with tax), but have no regrets. It's been a while since cheap IEM gave me so much fun, competing with collection of more expensive ones.
The reason NX7 was mentioned is because of its soundstage comparison to A6, that in its turn competes with CCA CA16 & TRN Vx in the price range. So, I'd suggest that A6 is better than Vx for the same type of music while NX7 is unique and worth keeping as well, for me at least. :):)

Jun 25, 2020 at 5:11 PM Post #1,662 of 3,770
Interested to hear peoples comparisons between CCA CA16 and previous flagship C12 and ZSX? I can't be the only one wondering!
I bought C12 as my first in Chi Fi in ear, it's extremely detailed, only now with the CA 16 release I wonder if the more subdued treble would make for a more musical listen? I don't have the most ideal sets here to compare CCA12 to. A set of Shure 215's which sound like a warm blanket in comparison, for better or worse, and a set of U18 Pro's which are pretty much end game for me, the reason I picked up a set of C12's is I fancied having something decent for out and about/cooking etc where I don't use the UE's... I tend to reach for the Shure's for this and I wanted a bit more detail like the UE's hence picking up the C12's.
The million dollar question (or 30 dollar in this case!!!) is having listened to C12 and CA16 do you feel it's more of a sidegrade or a definite upgrade?

Jun 25, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #1,665 of 3,770
Interested to hear peoples comparisons between CCA CA16 and previous flagship C12 and ZSX? I can't be the only one wondering!
I bought C12 as my first in Chi Fi in ear, it's extremely detailed, only now with the CA 16 release I wonder if the more subdued treble would make for a more musical listen? I don't have the most ideal sets here to compare CCA12 to. A set of Shure 215's which sound like a warm blanket in comparison, for better or worse, and a set of U18 Pro's which are pretty much end game for me, the reason I picked up a set of C12's is I fancied having something decent for out and about/cooking etc where I don't use the UE's... I tend to reach for the Shure's for this and I wanted a bit more detail like the UE's hence picking up the C12's.
The million dollar question (or 30 dollar in this case!!!) is having listened to C12 and CA16 do you feel it's more of a sidegrade or a definite upgrade?

I have the C12, ZSX and the CA16.

The C12 and ZSX are very similar due to the same drivers but the C12 will fit most people better due to the smaller size and they don't have that section protruding which some people find uncomfortable but the ZSX sound is more my preference especially the upper mids is slightly less than the C12 and a little more bass.

The CA16 has more realistic mids over the ZSX and C12 as it's not boosted and a little more treble. Also helped that no BA is in the nozzle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back