CCA in ear monitors Impressions Thread
Jun 20, 2020 at 11:38 AM Post #1,637 of 3,770
Great review Paul, very detailed, the flavour of the CA16 you describe is how I imagined it to be. I would be very interested to hear thoughts from people that have both C12 and CA16? - I just got the C12 and I can't decide if I like them, they are certainly detail central, I wondered how musical they are for pure enjoyment compared to a slightly more recessed treble like the CA16 etc. Bhazard you have inspired me to give them another proper good listen again, I am interested to hear what you like about them compared to other chi fi sets you own? I only I have a limited and not ideal selection of other similar IEM's to compare them to.

The easiest A/B of the C12 that wowed me was playing Horizon: Zero Dawn on PS4. The C12 has a very dynamic sound here and slams hard with bass. Great detail and clarity. Blon BL-05 is far less dynamic, less slam, not as engaging. This hold true for music as well, even after a tip change.

Both IEMs need a tip and cable upgrade to achieve their best results. I prefer good "16 core" cables and Spiral Dots or the old "Starline" KZ tips.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #1,638 of 3,770
Like to share my experience with the CCA CA16. I find them a detailed listen in a relaxed way. They don’t wow me with exaggerated treble but rather they soothe me with a gentle bubbling stream of detail that is provided even at lower listening levels. The 7mm dynamic driver is not a bass monster, but provides a nimble, articulate clean bass that does not intrude on the mids, I find it just right. In fact, I find the balance between treble, mids and bass to be just right. No extreme V shape that seems typical for KZ/CCA offerings. Makes vocals sound natural and intelligible, with no huskiness or thinness, but again, just right. The build reminds me of the KZ ZS4 only larger to fit 8 drivers instead of just two. Despite being larger, they fit fantastically with light weight and excellent isolation. The stock cable however has to be the cheapest one yet, even thinner than comes with ZS4. But my primary source is the ES100 balanced out so I use an aftermarket cable anyway.
Then there’s the supplied tips. As mentioned earlier in the thread, they are much shallower than typical and the large is too small so initially I didn’t even try it. But I struggled with the sound until I found a tip that was large enough to fit yet maintain the stock tip geometry. Using typical style tips elongates the sound tube and seemed to hood the mids and treble, squashing dynamics and soundstage. Only when I found the correct tips did the sound bloom a give me what I was looking for. This may explain the variety of opinions shared for these phones. Once I found the right tips, everything fell into place. I’ve attached photos illustrating the tip issue. YMMV of course.
1843D6E2-689A-4C2F-A2D9-85250AA5C48A.jpeg
00E4AE0E-EA28-4D3D-911C-F0022897D6B7.jpeg

Jun 20, 2020 at 12:39 PM Post #1,639 of 3,770
Like to share my experience with the CCA CA16. I find them a detailed listen in a relaxed way. They don’t wow me with exaggerated treble but rather they soothe me with a gentle bubbling stream of detail that is provided even at lower listening levels. The 7mm dynamic driver is not a bass monster, but provides a nimble, articulate clean bass that does not intrude on the mids, I find it just right. In fact, I find the balance between treble, mids and bass to be just right. No extreme V shape that seems typical for KZ/CCA offerings. Makes vocals sound natural and intelligible, with no huskiness or thinness, but again, just right. The build reminds me of the KZ ZS4 only larger to fit 8 drivers instead of just two. Despite being larger, they fit fantastically with light weight and excellent isolation. The stock cable however has to be the cheapest one yet, even thinner than comes with ZS4. But my primary source is the ES100 balanced out so I use an aftermarket cable anyway.
Then there’s the supplied tips. As mentioned earlier in the thread, they are much shallower than typical and the large is too small so initially I didn’t even try it. But I struggled with the sound until I found a tip that was large enough to fit yet maintain the stock tip geometry. Using typical style tips elongates the sound tube and seemed to hood the mids and treble, squashing dynamics and soundstage. Only when I found the correct tips did the sound bloom a give me what I was looking for. This may explain the variety of opinions shared for these phones. Once I found the right tips, everything fell into place. I’ve attached photos illustrating the tip issue. YMMV of course.
1843D6E2-689A-4C2F-A2D9-85250AA5C48A.jpeg00E4AE0E-EA28-4D3D-911C-F0022897D6B7.jpeg
That is encouraging! Mine are on the way and I will fit Spiral Dots immediately!

Jun 23, 2020 at 11:01 PM Post #1,640 of 3,770
Didn't see this coming. I liked ca16 Universal shape, which I already knew, will fit my ears perfectly - since I have KZ E10, that uses the same exact shell. They're plastic, so can use them in the gym or during the rainy weather unlike TRN VX/V90 that both are metal and will collect moisture under those conditions.
BUT OFMG! Here I find myself immensely enjoying it (after 2 hours of burn-in), nonstop, and not missing at all my more expensive IEMs.
TRN VX was ok, for the price, but CA16 bass blew me away after VX experience. CA16 HAS BETTER BASS!:scream_cat:
This is audiophile tuning! With Google/YouTube music sounds astonishingly good regardless of the price!
This IEM has real layering & separation. Soundstage is slightly wider than needed for accurate imaging but also very deep, comparable to IMR Rah, FH7 & LZ A6mini. Treble is competitive with Blessing 2 (on compressed music). On Amazon HD streaming it's less impressive mostly because Amazon HD is on the drier side of tonality and has more details in upper treble where the coherence of BL2 gives it an advantage.
CA16 IMHO has better bass than TRN VX, Dunu DM480(2x $$!), Reecho&Peackock Spring($130 overpriced piece of beauty with very mediocre tuning), Less bass, but also better than KZ ZSX(RIP). Bass has Sub-woofer like quality, not bass-head level, but delivers very low reaching satisfying rumble.
This is the surprise of the year! Will be getting a lot of ear-time making my $$$ IEMs jealous. And did I mention the soundstage?!!...:warning::railway_car::railway_track:🚂:train2:

Jun 23, 2020 at 11:07 PM Post #1,641 of 3,770
Didn't see this coming. I liked ca16 Universal shape, which I already knew, will fit my ears perfectly - since I have KZ E10, that uses the same exact shell. They're plastic, so can use them in the gym or during the rainy weather unlike TRN VX/V90 that both are metal and will collect moisture under those conditions.
BUT OFMG! Here I find myself immensely enjoying it (after 2 hours of burn-in), nonstop, and not missing at all my more expensive IEMs.
TRN VX was ok, for the price, but CA16 bass blew me away after VX experience. CA16 HAS BETTER BASS!:scream_cat:
This is audiophile tuning! With Google/YouTube music sounds astonishingly good regardless of the price!
This IEM has real layering & separation. Soundstage is slightly wider than needed for accurate imaging but also very deep, comparable to IMR Rah, FH7 & LZ A6mini. Treble is competitive with Blessing 2 (on compressed music). On Amazon HD streaming it's less impressive mostly because Amazon HD is on the drier side of tonality and has more details in upper treble where the coherence of BL2 gives it an advantage.
CA16 IMHO has better bass than TRN VX, Dunu DM480(2x $$!), Reecho&Peackock Spring($130 overpriced piece of beauty with very mediocre tuning), Less bass, but also better than KZ ZSX(RIP). Bass has Sub-woofer like quality, not bass-head level, but delivers very low reaching satisfying rumble.
This is the surprise of the year! Will be getting a lot of ear-time making my $$$ IEMs jealous. And did I mention the soundstage?!!...:warning::railway_car::railway_track:🚂:train2:
Thanks a lot for your feedback I was trying to decide between this one and the VX but you already help me out with that. Cheers

Jun 23, 2020 at 11:34 PM Post #1,642 of 3,770
That is encouraging! Mine are on the way and I will fit Spiral Dots immediately!

Don't intend to ruin your hopes but thr CA16 shell is using KZ Z1 shell so, the nozzles are smaller than previous CCA / KZ IEMs, spiral dot and dot++ a bit wobbly on them. Azla sedna fit well though

Jun 23, 2020 at 11:38 PM Post #1,643 of 3,770

You destroy my peaceful night buddy. Damnnnn!
That FH7 a6mini RAH comparison lines really intriguing!

Jun 24, 2020 at 12:04 AM Post #1,645 of 3,770
You destroy my peaceful night buddy. Damnnnn!
That FH7 a6mini RAH comparison lines really intriguing!
Sorry about that, shouldn't be too much of a surprise though, I have CCA CA10 and C16, and all of the CCA are known for sound stage. They just upped it a notch with increased accuracy of imaging. Tonality wise, tuning is also better than A6 mini and it's not close. As for RAH, it's technically superior of course, but I struggle with fit and yet to find a perfect combination of filters.
For $60 should be no brainer, but A6 mini is more of a V with stronger sub-bass.
One more thing: I use it with KZ gold-silver C upgrade cable, though it was good with stock too. Be advised also that Google & Apple streaming has boosted sub-bass and overall warmer tonality that works well with CA16 and Blessing2. CA16 bass hits lower and stronger than Blessing 2.
- good example this is sort of a swing remix with both acoustic and synth bass. I love open and airy sound-stage and these deliver!

Jun 24, 2020 at 12:16 AM Post #1,646 of 3,770
Sorry about that, shouldn't be too much of a surprise though, I have CCA CA10 and C16, and all of the CCA are known for sound stage. They just upped it a notch with increased accuracy of imaging. Tonality wise, tuning is also better than A6 mini and it's not close. As for RAH, it's technically superior of course, but I struggle with fit and yet to find a perfect combination of filters.
For $60 should be no brainer, but A6 mini is more of a V with stronger sub-bass.
One more thing: I use it with KZ gold-silver C upgrade cable, though it was good with stock too. Be advised also that Google & Apple streaming has boosted sub-bass and overall warmer tonality that works well with CA16 and Blessing2. CA16 bass hits lower and stronger than Blessing 2.
- good example this is sort of a swing remix with both acoustic and synth bass. I love open and airy sound-stage and these deliver!

such a praise from a guy that had IER-Z1R and Legend X. I think i should grab em.. ugh.. how about upper mids on 5-6khz? seems like they boosted that region. is it too much or too pronounced? how is the note weight particularly on mids?

Jun 24, 2020 at 4:10 AM Post #1,647 of 3,770
Don't intend to ruin your hopes but thr CA16 shell is using KZ Z1 shell so, the nozzles are smaller than previous CCA / KZ IEMs, spiral dot and dot++ a bit wobbly on them. Azla sedna fit well though
Thank you. I will try other tips as well.

Jun 24, 2020 at 7:53 AM Post #1,649 of 3,770
..., and not missing at all my more expensive IEMs.
Soundstage is slightly wider than needed for accurate imaging but also very deep, comparable to IMR Rah, FH7 & LZ A6mini. Treble is competitive with Blessing 2 (on compressed music)...

OK (I'm weak) just ordered. I'll be doing a death match (one of them will be gifted to a friend) between the CA16 and the NX7 Pro.

$47 USD, via the mobile app, from the same store that I bought the NX7 Pro from.

Jun 24, 2020 at 9:22 AM Post #1,650 of 3,770

Users who are viewing this thread

Back