CCA in ear monitors Impressions Thread
Jun 28, 2020 at 9:56 PM Post #1,682 of 3,770
Amen to all of that! I understand that ur using M11 parametric EQ. I wish on android we had something better than EQFY since stock EQ on Galaxy8+ is completely useless.
Only Radson ES100 EQ and UAP has EQ with true power but still no real good system-level Android EQ. Now, when I'm getting addicted to Amazon HD streaming, I cannot use UAP with it:triportsad:. With the absence of anything better, EQFY is the best global level EQ, unless someone knows anything better, anyone?
All of that said, I don't think I would be selling my $1k+ IEMs any time soon though. On my desktop setup Sony ier-m9 is untouchable still, and all mentioned earlier are superior as well but have other (comfort, durability, fatigue, bling) issues. CA16 will survive NYC subway, foggy & rainy weather(without the dreadful moisture condensation), possibly even gym workouts(when they finally open), without sacrificing too much of SQ.
Have you tried the Wavelet app for EQ?

seconded to Wavelet. Never found any EQ app that works this good to be honest. they dont mess with sound quality at all. its a magic created for us. they have autoEQ (auto EQ to change the IEM/TWS to match precisely harman target, and you have manual EQ to compensate after if you feel Harman target is too bright or anything else).
They required Android 9.0 though so most DAPs cant use it.

Jun 28, 2020 at 11:24 PM Post #1,683 of 3,770
Thanks @VICosPhi & @DynamicEars! Didn't know about it. Interesting app. Strangely, with Amazon HD, I couldn't make it work so far. I'll take my time experimenting with it later. Also, With Google Play quality is not good, clipping reduction doesn't appear to work. First impression - cumbersome and requires too much tinkering.
Never found any EQ app that works this good

EQFI is still #1 IMHO. ES100 EQ is the way this type of EQ should work. So far EQFI appears to be easiest to use Global level EQ. EQFI has 10 bands and allows 32 & 64HZ adjustment. The only thing that looks promising is the auto EQ. Stil, unbeatable high standard is Onkyo HF player Parametric EQ with a seemingly unlimited number of Frequency curve/band points. It's my dream of having Global EQ like this. UAP has PEQ but only works with Google Play(services I use).
1593400612178.png1593400678736.png
EDIT: First pic is Onkyo HF, then Eqfi

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2020 at 3:05 PM Post #1,684 of 3,770
I finally got my CCA CA16 today (thank you, Canada Post, for taking only slightly less than an extra month on this one and totally curing me of AE shopping in June/July until I get all my other orders of April/May; sorry for the digression...)

CA16 are very nice. I was enjoying their break-in, first two hours were definitely noticeable.

In two words, they are developing nicely into noticeably different to ZSX/C12, closer to C16, but with the dynamic bass and more attention to treble. Not that the treble should cause much concerns for treble sensitive folks, it is definitely on a gentler side.

Bass/BA transition is very nice, to me it was always one of the weakest points of hybrids, especially with few BAs.

The fit is very nice for me, they are a bit larger than C12 but smaller than C16 and sculpted nicely.

The thinner nozzles were a bit unusual for me, but with some wider tips with relatively soft silicone, the ridges on the nozzle worked really nicely, giving some angular flexibility to the tips reminiscent of SpinFits.

I hope to post more impressions later :)

Jun 30, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #1,685 of 3,770
Wait till they hit 48-72 hours----they just seem to sssmmmooottthhh out. Detail is incredible. Try listening to Good Enough by Evanenscence, the classic Hello by Adele and then just for kicks... or should I say kick drum... listen to the Jimmy Page remastered Moby Dick. You can hear the flutter of the pedal when it hits the kick drum. Another audition should include When Love Comes to Town by BB King with Stevie Ray Vaughn - what a great recording. Oh yeah... Remastered Crime of the Century by SuperTramp - but you really need to listen to the entire album. And I would be remiss if I didn't recommend Pink Floyd's Final Cut.

Running a test sweep... I can start to hear rumbling just about 17HZ and 20Hz is clear and tight (nothing like having a subwoofer in your head!). My highend starts to roll off at around 17.8khz but again, I'm and old fart and nothing a bit of EQ won't fix. You gotta love these electronics!!!!

I really don't know what there would be to complain about with these units and at the price - just do it.

My only gripe... I wish the inner shell had been clear or smoke transparent so you could actually see the drivers like the C12's.

Only upgrade I did was the 16 core silver over copper wire by KBear. Don't do the pure silver - too bright. Just my ramblings... love the music!
Enjoy the Music.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2020 at 7:56 PM Post #1,686 of 3,770
How do you guys and girls go about getting the right size when picking up aftermarket tips?
I'm digging these C12's the more I listen to them, maybe there's something in this burn in thing....
My favorite tips ever are the Shure Olive's so i'll likely pick up some Comply foam tips for these if I knew the nozzle size to pick?

Jun 30, 2020 at 8:31 PM Post #1,687 of 3,770
EQFI is still #1 IMHO. ES100 EQ is the way this type of EQ should work. So far EQFI appears to be easiest to use Global level EQ. EQFI has 10 bands and allows 32 & 64HZ adjustment. The only thing that looks promising is the auto EQ. Stil, unbeatable high standard is Onkyo HF player Parametric EQ with a seemingly unlimited number of Frequency curve/band points. It's my dream of having Global EQ like this. UAP has PEQ but only works with Google Play(services I use).

EDIT: First pic is Onkyo HF, then Eqfi

Thanks for EQFi, looks interesting with lots of settings. I tried it but for some reason it seemed to also lower the sound when I increase the bass. I think it is a limitation of my Galaxy Note phone or just the Android sound implementation in general. I really miss Viper4Android, thanks to Samsung locking their bootloaders...

Jul 1, 2020 at 1:14 PM Post #1,688 of 3,770
Thanks for EQFi, looks interesting with lots of settings. I tried it but for some reason it seemed to also lower the sound when I increase the bass. I think it is a limitation of my Galaxy Note phone or just the Android sound implementation in general. I really miss Viper4Android, thanks to Samsung locking their bootloaders...
That's its anti clipping algorithm. Unfortunately on Android, I guess, audio processing is 16 bit and doesn't leave much room for boost. Android (Galaxy) native EQ behaves the same way. Ear-studio es100 has 64bit internal processing and is not limited. Neutron Player also has it, and premium version has some crazy EQ. Not for streaming though. For CCA Ca16 I don't feel need to EQ much. Maybe a little boost at 32hz...

Jul 3, 2020 at 7:41 PM Post #1,689 of 3,770
How do you guys and girls go about getting the right size when picking up aftermarket tips?
I'm digging these C12's the more I listen to them, maybe there's something in this burn in thing....
My favorite tips ever are the Shure Olive's so i'll likely pick up some Comply foam tips for these if I knew the nozzle size to pick?

Do you mean the right size to fit on to the C12 as in nozzle diameter?

Jul 3, 2020 at 9:49 PM Post #1,691 of 3,770
Exactly that! I want to get some comply foams as I love the Olive Shure foams - When I go to order I'm clueless as the the nozzle diameter - I even looked on the CCA webpage and couldn't find the measurement

I take out my digital calipers and measure - 4.05mm (not counting the small ridge that helps hold the ear tip in place).

Jul 5, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #1,695 of 3,770
Hi, first post on the forum but I've been lurking chi-fi threads for years :)

Anyways, I just replaced my phone and my new one doesn't have a 3.5mm jack anymore. Ouch! I just can't find reasonably priced BT IEMs that sound as good as wired ones I already own. Plus, yet another battery to keep charged... Wired is just less of a headache for me, I'm sure other users here can relate.

I own several chinese IEMs, my favourite ones in my collection ATM are the Tennmak Piano (I know the Pros are an upgrade but those are the ones I have) and the CCA C12 (they do NEED an EQ to boost the mid frequencies tho).

I tried the 3.5mm to USB-C adapter that came in my phone's box and I was very unimpressed with both the clarity and the volume output, when compared to my previous phone's analog output. I then learned that there USED TO be (since I cannot find it in stock anymore) a "direct to" USB-C replacement cable for KZ/CCA IEMs, and I would like to know where I can find one that ships to Europe.

I also ordered a Meizu HiFi non-pro (since the Pro is too much for my needs) but having something I can directly plug into my phone would be VERY convenient.

Also, since I'll be rooting my phone (which BTW is a Xiaomi Mi 10, not the note one, the 5G one) I'd like to know if the mods detailed in this XDA thread are still needed on Android 10 or generally on recent Xiaomi phones. I will not be using USB Audio Player PRO as my main player, as I mostly use headphones on my phone to listen to streaming services or for videos.

Anyways, thank you for your attention and good listening to all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back