CCA in ear monitors Impressions Thread
Mar 25, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #361 of 3,770
Hm. I lack the surplus of cables to be able to check myself and I'm beginning to suspect my original guess was wrong (was looking just at cable end bits, not overall angles/IEM shape; fortunately I'd not bought anything yet)... Which pin ending does the CCA C10 actually use?

I'm half tempted to get a Bluetooth cable for the ZSN at this point anyhow because it's the more disposable of the two really, and on-ing/off-ing cables on those tiny pins makes me nervous (which is ironic given that I'll blithely will crunch sticks of RAM that cost more individually than the C10 into a motherboard that costs as much as the full set of RAM) and since my current laptop AFAIK lacks Bluetooth I'd need to on a semi-regular basis, but I'm firmly sitting on the temptation because a ZSN cable's *just* a ZSN cable and my fiscal subconscious is still calibrated more towards Sennheiser/Bose/etc pricing and honestly the worst part about breaking/losing the C10 would be the wait for a replacement...

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2019 at 4:55 PM Post #362 of 3,770
Hm. I lack the surplus of cables to be able to check myself and I'm beginning to suspect my original guess was wrong (was looking just at cable end bits, not overall angles/IEM shape; fortunately I'd not bought anything yet)... Which pin ending does the CCA C10 actually use?

Check it carefully. There are the mmx and 2 pin connectors. But the 2 pin have two variants, 0,75mm and 0,78mm.
And on the DAP end you can have balanced and not balanced terminals.

Mar 25, 2019 at 5:39 PM Post #363 of 3,770
Check it carefully. There are the mmx and 2 pin connectors. But the 2 pin have two variants, 0,75mm and 0,78mm.
And on the DAP end you can have balanced and not balanced terminals.
That bit's not what I'm uncertain about, it's the A-paragraph/straight tip vs B-paragraph/angled tip that I'm wanting clarification on.

Mar 25, 2019 at 6:00 PM Post #364 of 3,770
That bit's not what I'm uncertain about, it's the A-paragraph/straight tip vs B-paragraph/angled tip that I'm wanting clarification on.

B-paragraph 0.75mm for the C10/C16/AS10. A-paragraph for the ZS7.

Mar 25, 2019 at 8:55 PM Post #365 of 3,770

If you trim off the plastic, it fits on everything. It also fits more securely due to the longer pins.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2019 at 10:24 PM Post #367 of 3,770
Thanks for that tip! :thumbsup:
I'll probably be doing some trimming of my own tonight on some of my cables not being used. This would surely save me some cash on constantly ordering separate cables!

No problem.

I use an Xacto hobby knife. It takes it right off. I do it to many of my KZ cables. They then fit everything. A and B KZs, TRN, BQEYZ, CCA, etc.

Before I trim it off the plastic though, I do mark which side is the rounded (+) side. I use an electric micro hand engraver and make a small “U” symbol. But you can obviously make any symbol you want as long as you do it consistently (+ sign, X, a round dot, whatever). I wouldn’t use a marker like a Sharpie, because it could rub off.

It’s no biggie if you don’t have an engraver. You could use a sharp point, like a tungsten/carbide or diamond tipped marking pen. The engravers are excellent to have for other purposes though. I use mine all the time, and they are very cheap to buy.

If you do not do this step, you’ll have no way to know which side is what. You can, of course, figure it out with a multimeter. But it’s easier to just permanently mark it before you trim off the plastic.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2019 at 1:24 AM Post #368 of 3,770
No problem.

I use an Xacto hobby knife. It takes it right off. I do it to many of my KZ cables. They then fit everything. A and B KZs, TRN, BQEYZ, CCA, etc.

Before I trim it off the plastic though, I do mark which side is the rounded (+) side. I use an electric micro hand engraver and make a small “U” symbol. But you can obviously make any symbol you want as long as you do it consistently (+ sign, X, a round dot, whatever). I wouldn’t use a marker like a Sharpie, because it could rub off.

It’s no biggie if you don’t have an engraver. You could use a sharp point, like a tungsten/carbide or diamond tipped marking pen. The engravers are excellent to have for other purposes though. I use mine all the time, and they are very cheap to buy.

If you do not do this step, you’ll have no way to know which side is what. You can, of course, figure it out with a multimeter. But it’s easier to just permanently mark it before you trim off the plastic.
Good to know! :thumbsup:

Mar 26, 2019 at 8:21 AM Post #369 of 3,770
No problem.

What do you use to hold the cable connector when trimming it ?
I don't have a vice and when I was trying to convert a Para-B cable to Para-A, I found it very difficult; and a bit scary to hold with fingers.

Mar 26, 2019 at 12:05 PM Post #372 of 3,770
What do you use to hold the cable connector when trimming it ?
I don't have a vice and when I was trying to convert a Para-B cable to Para-A, I found it very difficult; and a bit scary to hold with fingers.

I set mine down flat on a workbench, and cut straight down. Then turn the plug and repeat. Do all 4 sides and you’re done.

You can also hold it with pliers.

Also, I’m not sure about converting a B to an A. That probably would be scary, because you’d have to shave the already thin plastic paper thin. For that I would use a fingernail file or emery sanding board and sand down the edges of the plastic until it fit the A plug. That’s a much safer method than doing it with an Xacto.

But see, that’s why I just trim off the plastic altogether. Then I’m not locked into an A or B configuration.

Mar 26, 2019 at 4:02 PM Post #374 of 3,770

Before:
3D091EA6-99D6-4537-9425-86544109FAFB.jpeg

After:
D9757369-D6A8-4F9B-9D47-495D92572A08.jpeg

Ignore the cable color difference. They’re 2 different cables (one black and the other iron grey).

Mar 26, 2019 at 4:09 PM Post #375 of 3,770
Awesome request for pics....
Awesome pics and idea!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back