CCA in ear monitors Impressions Thread
Mar 22, 2019 at 6:13 PM Post #331 of 3,770
I agr
Yes, the C16 works very well with the spiral dots, went a size smaller, because insertion is pretty deep with this one. They still work their way out of my ears though.

I think you won't be disappointed with the ZS7.
Yes, the C16 works very well with the spiral dots, went a size smaller, because insertion is pretty deep with this one. They still work their way out of my ears though.

I think you won't be disappointed with the ZS7.
That's right, I use the large Spiral Dots in the C10 so deliberately ordered the medium for the C16. ZS7 should be interesting, impressions soon after receiving them.

Mar 22, 2019 at 6:53 PM Post #332 of 3,770
I'm looking forward to your impressions.

Mar 22, 2019 at 8:23 PM Post #333 of 3,770
I just found out that the medium star line silicone ear tips that came in my ZSN packaging sounds better to me than the default silicone ear tips that came on them!
...So, after swapping ear tips, the ZSN performed better with the star line tips adding better control, balance, and hi-end definition without sounding harsh!
Wow! Who would have known?...What was I thinking and missing! :flushed::deadhorse:
which ones are starline tips.. any picture?

recently i tried another set of tips from an old IEM ( probably the MEelectronics M6) with the C10 and they sounded more open and with better stage..they gave a larger bore opening and shorter length

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2019 at 8:39 PM Post #334 of 3,770
which ones are starline tips.. any picture?

recently i tried another set of tips from an old IEM ( probably the MEelectronics M6) with the C10 and they sounded more open and with better stage..they gave a larger bore opening and shorter length

56F758B1-8A9E-4618-9748-F6450E99E1BC.jpeg
5DF7ACAB-D691-4809-B267-6D59BF784C60.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2019 at 9:20 PM Post #337 of 3,770
well i used them on the C10 when i first got them... but changed it after burn in

Sounds good.

Starlines are kind of a jack of all trades eartip. They are a 4mm bore tip, which isn’t narrow nor is it wide. It’s smack in the middle (I guess it would be considered a medium core tip).

But as you found they don’t work optimally on everything.

Thankfully most tips are relatively inexpensive, allowing us to try different tips to find one that works best on any given IEM.

Mar 23, 2019 at 4:41 AM Post #338 of 3,770
which sized spiral dots fit the c10 or revonext?
I use the large on the C10 and QT2 because they have shorter nozzles. The C16 has a longer nozzle so I need the medium for those. Generally speaking I need larger tips but your ears will be different.

Mar 23, 2019 at 4:53 AM Post #339 of 3,770
Just took delivery of my C16's so I'm holding back on definitive impression on it. But took some photos as I know there are some who would like to compare how they fit and size relative to other IEMs.
Was doing a not so serious A/B with the AS10 and ZS7.

First impressions, compared to the AS10 is that it was like Utopia versus a HE1000 V2. Astounding amount of detail in both earphones but the C16 comes across with really 'thicker' and more filled out of sorts. My first impression when I tried the Utopia compared to the HE1K2 some months back. Everything gets thrown at you in an obvious manner. AS10 comparatively is more laid back and somewhat less 'luscious' in its sound though nothing is really missing if you listen to it on its own.
Probably need a whole lot more time to give a better description. So far : C16 is absolutely great sounding for classical music but somehow there seems to be detectable differences in signature when using different amps to play them. There seems to be a hint of sibilance on low power amps but it doesn't seem to manifest when I use my desktop amp. Not sure its the amp or the nature of the earphone though. Maybe those who do have it can chime in there.

The ZS7 is a different animal altogether due to the heavier bass emphasis.

Some picts:

20190323_161305.jpg 20190323_161344.jpg 20190323_161538.jpg 20190323_161721.jpg

Mar 23, 2019 at 6:20 AM Post #340 of 3,770
Just took delivery of my C16's so I'm holding back on definitive impression on it. But took some photos as I know there are some who would like to compare how they fit and size relative to other IEMs.

First impressions, compared to the AS10 is that it was like Utopia versus a HE1000 V2. Astounding amount of detail in both earphones but the C16 comes across with really 'thicker' and more filled out of sorts. My first impression when I tried the Utopia compared to the HE1K2 some months back. Everything gets thrown at you in an obvious manner. AS10 comparatively is more laid back and somewhat less 'luscious' in its sound though nothing is really missing if you listen to it on its own.
Probably need a whole lot more time to give a better description. So far : C16 is absolutely great sounding for classical music but somehow there seems to be detectable differences in signature when using different amps to play them. There seems to be a hint of sibilance on low power amps but it doesn't seem to manifest when I use my desktop amp. Not sure its the amp or the nature of the earphone though. Maybe those who do have it can chime in there.

Some picts:

Great photo's! The C16 doesn't sound sibilant to me, I've only been using it on the balanced output of my FiiO X7II though (with spiral dot tips, try some wide bore tips, they really help IMO).
The ZS7 does sound different, but really good as well. The AS10 is warmer and darker sounding.

Mar 23, 2019 at 6:49 AM Post #341 of 3,770

Some picts:

I have found that as well. With my C16s my Fiio A5 displays a little bit of grain in the high frequencies and a slight softness in the bass. The Topping NX1a, however, sounds clean and transparent with a tighter bass and a bigger soundstage. The ability to distinguish between different ancillary equipment is testament to the accuracy and neutrality of the C16.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2019 at 12:52 PM Post #342 of 3,770
well i used them on the C10 when i first got them... but changed it after burn in
The Star line ear tips worked best for me on the ZSN, not the C10. But, with the C10, the default ear tips works really good after the burn-in process, but does sound even better with either the Spiral (KZ tips) or Auvio ear tips.

Spiral
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/KZ-3-Pairs-6pcs-L-M-S-In-Ear-KZ-Red-Spiral-Silicone-Eartip-Tips-Earphone/32895344546.html?
HTB19NByk_qWBKNjSZFAq6ynSpXaC.jpg

Auvio
https://www.radioshack.com/products/radioshack-rbasic-silicone-replace-tips-s-m-l
03301585_00.jpg

-Clear

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2019 at 1:10 PM Post #343 of 3,770
I have found that as well. With my C16s my Fiio A5 displays a little bit of grain in the high frequencies and a slight softness in the bass. The Topping NX1a, however, sounds clean and transparent with a tighter bass and a bigger soundstage. The ability to distinguish between different ancillary equipment is testament to the accuracy and neutrality of the C16.
I'm just surprised how well the C16 can detect good recordings from bad ones. They are very revealing! Simply put, they are extremely good for their asking price!
...And, by changing the cables for better ones, they are probably hard to beat!

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2019 at 2:45 PM Post #344 of 3,770
I'm just surprised how well the C16 can detect good recordings from bad ones. They are very revealing! Simply put, they are extremely good for their asking price!
...And, by changing the cables for better ones, they are probably hard to beat!
That is, of course, how it should be, as Quad's byline used to say, " the closest approach to the original sound." Nothing added, nothing taken away.

Mar 24, 2019 at 4:36 PM Post #345 of 3,770
Anybody hear anything regarding C20? I’m curious if they will actually have one or something different on the horizon?
I’m still waiting on an AE order for DT6s which has “left the country of origin” then I have no targets in my sights, I’d love to get something next with a Knowles BA in the configuration and being sort of known as a wonderful example of Knowles drivers...but Inexpensive.....not sure of T3 because of possible fit issues, Fio FA01 might be it or save and try Magaosi K5 Pro Bass version.....but for me any new CCAs would be instant buy as I’m confident in the CCA brand now.

Fun stuff, hey Nimweth that Topping amp you have is like under $50 correct or am I looking at wrong one? Maybe the link to yours would be possible?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back