CCA in ear monitors Impressions Thread
Mar 20, 2019 at 2:41 PM Post #316 of 3,770
My KZ and CCA ranking so far: C10 = ZS7 > ZSN > AS10......Why ZSN is higher than AS10 is just because I like the sound presentation on ZSN better than AS10.

Thanks for the clarification (preference for presentation).

I agree with the Rtings.com review that the AS10 sounds thin, but unlike them, I find the AS10 bass very disappointing. Despite non-trivial quantity, it lacks any natural impact. The thin mids, lack of bass impact, and lower treble elevation combine to make heavy metal sound horrible. EQ doesn't fix the lack of natural bass impact, and the poor fit is a personal issue, but I really tried. The AS10 at $44 I spent I consider my biggest audio-error purchase. Sure, it does have better soundstage than the ZSN, but if I want good IEM soundstage, I'll use the ZS10.

Thanks for the quick response. Haven't heard the AS10 or ZSN yet but your impressions were in stark contrast and a notable counterpoint to the majority of feedback I've encountered. Thank you for your input. My understanding (via various user feedback) is that the AS10 has an elevated mid-bass which contributes to bass "punch". Do I understand your meaning correctly regarding "the lack of bass impact" and "Despite non-trivial quantity" that the mid-bass is unnatural or wonky (my interpretation of your description)?

In addition, I am curious about the "thin mids" in light of the elevated mid-bass punch. More often than not elevated mid-bass tends to warm up the midrange. Just trying to get a clearer picture. When it comes to metal, I typically use the BA10's for metal that was recorded and mastered very well

.....if the recording or mastering is lackluster I'll pick a different IEM.

IMHO, metal recordings vary in quality more than any other genre in my collection of music

Again, your input is much appreciated.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2019 at 2:47 PM Post #317 of 3,770

Thanks for the quick response. Haven't heard the AS10 or ZSN yet but your impressions were in stark contrast and a notable counterpoint to the majority of feedback I've encountered. Thank you for your input. My understanding (via various user feedback) is that the AS10 has an elevated mid-bass which contributes to bass "punch". Do I understand your meaning correctly regarding "the lack of bass impact" and "Despite non-trivial quantity" that the mid-bass is unnatural or wonky (my interpretation of your description)?

In addition, I am curious about the "thin mids" in light of the elevated mid-bass punch. More often than not elevated mid-bass tends to warm up the midrange. Just trying to get a clearer picture. When it comes to metal, I typically use the BA10's for metal that was recorded and mastered very well

IMHO, metal recordings vary in quality more than any other genre in my collection of music

Sounds to me like they were getting a poor seal. Lack of mid-bass punch and thin mids are certainly not AS10-like. Pretty sure I've seen complaints about them sounding too thick. To each their own I guess :)

Mar 20, 2019 at 5:34 PM Post #318 of 3,770

AS10 & BA10 have the same drivers; both are very sensitive to the sealing (as mentioned) and with their low-impedance also very sourse-sensitive (AS is more so than BA somehow in my limited experience); and wide-bore tips really help, as I learned here :)

Finally, I got the better listening time from CCA C16 (needed about 10 hours to "mature"/settle) - very much a refined version of my beloved AS10, very-very happy :):):)

Mar 20, 2019 at 7:23 PM Post #319 of 3,770
... Huh.

So I finally got around to a bit of messing around with the Spinfit tips I had spare from the Rosewills I'd picked up. They did rather unfortunate things to the Rosewill's treble (not horrid, just inferior to stock/Starlines), but trying them out on my C10 I think I might actually like 'em better than the Spiral Dots. Treble's a smidge more pronounced as expected but the C10 handles it like a champ and on some songs I'm getting noticeably better bass (I can *feel* it on some songs, and there was one where it damn near growled at me while listening yesterday but I cannot remember which one it was and it's driving me nuts now), presumably from a better seal. They're actually a tad longer than the Starlines but where I couldn't get the Starlines in deep enough to solidly anchor the C10's increased weight (as compared to the ZSN's), especially in my right ear, the Spinfits squiggle where the Starlines just went nope no further and that seems to work well enough. Harder for wax to get onto the mesh too, which is nice. Does beg the question of what I'm going to do with the (unused) Dots though, keeping the pair I used regardless (even if the Spinfits end up staying on the C10 the Spiral Dots are still excellent as well) but if they're not my primary tips I don't really need backups. We shall see, in no rush to decide and I want to A/B them a few more times in any case.

(Also weirdly the small and large Spinfit pairs have distinctly different shades of translucent white for their two tips, one warm and one cool. Not the mediums though. :thinking:)

Mar 20, 2019 at 8:41 PM Post #320 of 3,770

Ah, fellow Tourniquet fan. Comparing ZSN back and forth with AS10, for me at first, the AS10 seems a little better, but doesn't take long of listening (10 seconds) for details that I still prefer the ZSN. I think it is because of the somewhat narrow V-shape of the AS10, where it has a peak at 200 Hz, trough at 800 Hz, and peak again at 2.5 KHz. The ZSN and ZS10 have much more gentle V-shapes. It's also something you should hear with metal, but not all music.

Mar 21, 2019 at 10:22 AM Post #321 of 3,770
I have a purple CCA C10 and I really like their sound. Short question: I'm planning to buy a second pair to be used while running: are the "purple" one still to be preferred to the other colors (due to the different cable) or are there no actual differences on the sound? Thanks

Mar 21, 2019 at 10:53 AM Post #322 of 3,770
I have a purple CCA C10 and I really like their sound. Short question: I'm planning to buy a second pair to be used while running: are the "purple" one still to be preferred to the other colors (due to the different cable) or are there no actual differences on the sound? Thanks

isnt the CCA C10's cable all the same? I thought only purple ZSN that came with different cable than the rest?

Mar 21, 2019 at 10:55 AM Post #323 of 3,770

You’re thinking of the KZ ZSN. The purple ZSN has a thicker copper cable.

My CCA C10 is the purple one, and it has the same exact cable as all the other pictures of C10s I’ve seen (a bronze/iron greyish cable).

Mar 21, 2019 at 11:17 AM Post #324 of 3,770
You’re thinking of the KZ ZSN. The purple ZSN has a thicker copper cable.

My CCA C10 is the purple one, and it has the same exact cable as all the other pictures of C10s I’ve seen (a bronze/iron greyish cable).

OMG, you are totally right. Too many IEMs and too much love for purple color :)
I'll wait for a couple of days for the Ali Anniversary sale and add them in the basket with some other stuff (no idea what I'll buy, but at the end the basket is always full of audio stuff).

Mar 22, 2019 at 2:53 AM Post #325 of 3,770
My KZ and CCA ranking so far: C10 = ZS7 > ZSN > AS10. I A/Bed C10 and ZS7 and both are pretty similar in their sound signature. C10 has better treble extension (cymbals is more pronounced), ZS7 has more forward mid and a little bit more bass impact. Why ZSN is higher than AS10 is just because I like the sound presentation on ZSN better than AS10.
I just found out that the medium star line silicone ear tips that came in my ZSN packaging sounds better to me than the default silicone ear tips that came on them!
...So, after swapping ear tips, the ZSN performed better with the star line tips adding better control, balance, and hi-end definition without sounding harsh!
Wow! Who would have known?...What was I thinking and missing! :flushed::deadhorse:

Mar 22, 2019 at 4:21 AM Post #326 of 3,770
For me
C16 = ZS7 ( Far different approach but very awesome in all cases )> C10 > AS10 ( In fact, it's a C16 more v shaped and less technic, it's normal but always for the price they stay very interesting )> ZSN > ZS10 ( which take a punch by ZS7 which use same DD and far better tuning )

Mar 22, 2019 at 8:40 AM Post #327 of 3,770
C16+Spiral Dots: perfect seal and isolation, deeper bass and clearer top end. Dream combination! PS: ZS7 on the way!

Mar 22, 2019 at 12:27 PM Post #328 of 3,770
I just found out that the medium star line silicone ear tips that came in my ZSN packaging sounds better to me than the default silicone ear tips that came on them!
...So, after swapping ear tips, the ZSN performed better with the star line tips adding better control, balance, and hi-end definition without sounding harsh!
Wow! Who would have known?...What was I thinking and missing! :flushed::deadhorse:

I am using all my IEM with comply tips. It just my preference because when using silicone tips, I feel the pressure build up after awhile even when the IEM is not completely tight seal (have vents).

Mar 22, 2019 at 5:54 PM Post #330 of 3,770
For me
C16 = ZS7 ( Far different approach but very awesome in all cases )> C10 > AS10 ( In fact, it's a C16 more v shaped and less technic, it's normal but always for the price they stay very interesting )> ZSN > ZS10 ( which take a punch by ZS7 which use same DD and far better tuning )

I agree on the C16 and ZS7, different but very good sounding. C16 more an allrounder, ZS7 stronger bass. Need to do a comparison again.

C16+Spiral Dots: perfect seal and isolation, deeper bass and clearer top end. Dream combination! PS: ZS7 on the way!

Yes, the C16 works very well with the spiral dots, went a size smaller, because insertion is pretty deep with this one. They still work their way out of my ears though.

I think you won't be disappointed with the ZS7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back