Cayin RU7: 1-Bit Resistor Network Dongle DAC /Amp
Oct 16, 2023 at 6:54 PM Post #1,666 of 2,174
Wondering which cable everyone is using with an iPhone. I have the mf07s, but that regulary stops working or is interfering. I’m waiting on a replacement cable. I also have a Lotoo cable. But that just broke down.

I use the Cayin daily with my iPhone. It’s normally in my front pocket when I’m riding my bike. So I’m looking for a sturdy but flexible cable.
I have 09s and it’s good. But there do happen interferences.. no idea why, my idea is that it just needs not to be bended

Oct 17, 2023 at 2:38 AM Post #1,667 of 2,174
Happy to report that both the RU7 and Hiby FC6 work perfectly with their bundled USB-C cables on my iPhone 15 pro max

EDIT: Using the SE, i don't have a balanced cable to test out the full power.

EDIT 2: Tried it out with balanced 4.4mm and it still works perfectly!

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2023 at 6:26 AM Post #1,669 of 2,174
Happy to report that both the RU7 and Hiby FC6 work perfectly with their bundled USB-C cables on my iPhone 15 pro max

EDIT: Using the SE, i don't have a balanced cable to test out the full power.
Out of interest. Do you have a preference (RU7 or FC6)?

Oct 17, 2023 at 6:29 AM Post #1,670 of 2,174
I can report that the RU7 with my recently purchased Monolith M1060s provides an incredible synergy and listening experience. I love the RU7 for its open, wide soundstage and with these cans, it's just mind blowing. And that's SE. In two minds as to whether I should purchase a balanced cable for the 1060s 🤔.

Oct 17, 2023 at 6:48 AM Post #1,671 of 2,174
I can report that the RU7 with my recently purchased Monolith M1060s provides an incredible synergy and listening experience. I love the RU7 for its open, wide soundstage and with these cans, it's just mind blowing. And that's SE. In two minds as to whether I should purchase a balanced cable for the 1060s 🤔.

If you're handy with a soldering iron, you could install a 4.4mm TRRRS connector on the stock cable.

Oct 17, 2023 at 7:48 AM Post #1,672 of 2,174
Here are some of my key thoughts on the Cayin RU7 vs iFi GO Bar vs iFi GOld Bar.

I'll be posting the ménage-à-shootout with proper categories and big beautiful pics at a later date.

All three dongles were purchased by me. The testing was delayed a few days as the RU7 I initially received presented a rattle from the 3.5mm port. While I do not know that this would have affected the sound (as I tested using the 4.4mm port), Cayin requested I contact the seller for a replacement, I assume in the interest of fairness. I thought that was a reasonable ask- all guns should be firing for a shootout, as it were.

All listening was done with a FiR RN6.

I used the same USB cable with both dongles, just for the tinfoil hat crowd who think that matters (I kid, I kid... tinfoil hats cause all sorts of interference.)

Anyway...

-The RU7 produces a wonderfully warm, organic, and clear listen. Highlights are the staging, detail retrieval and an amazingly natural bass timbre.

-The GO Bar (properly configured) produces a wonderfully warm, organic, and clear listen. Highlights are the staging, detail retrieval, and amazingly cohesive-yet-mariana-trench-deep sub-bass.

-Considering the different technologies at play, I was surprised at how similar the RU7 and standard GO Bar can sound. I say "can", because the GO Bar has many more potential sound signatures than the RU7.

-I largely concur with Ichos's wonderfully written review... the RU7 and standard GO Bar share many similar strengths, particularly when the iFi is configured for a fight with the Cayin, and it is indeed a very tough call to make between the two.

-Tough call or not, I'd probably lean towards the RU7 over the standard GO Bar, by just the slimmest of margins. That bass timbre. Mmmmm, mama.

-The GOld Bar is another story. It takes everything the GO bar threw at the RU7, and adds one of the cleanest, inkiest, dead-silent backgrounds I've ever heard in a DAC... dongle, desktop, or otherwise. This injects more breathing room... retaining that lovely warm organic listen while also making for better overall clarity, an airiness in the upper mids and highs, a more natural timbre in the bass and lower-mids, and another level of cohesion and (perceived) depth to the sub-bass.

More to come.
just got the RU7, also rattle from the 3.5mm port

rattle is confirmed from the 3.5mm gold ring by tapping the 3.5mm port.

also when i hold the gold ring and try to tap or shake the dongle there is no more rattle, so i guess the rattle is from the gold ring on the 3.5mm port.

is this normal? should i ask for replacement?

also this is my 2nd unit, my first one has a crooked screen, i kinda forgot if the first unit has the same rattle or not,

anyone else can confirm on this?

@Andykong

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2023 at 11:59 AM Post #1,674 of 2,174
Any Windows user here? The software volume control doesn't seem to work on Windows, but it's fine on Android. :triportsad:
Yes, you're right. The Cayin Driver is awful. I'm now using the Native windows generic driver after uninstalling cayin drivers. The clicking/pop sound is significantly reduced. It still happens from time to time. But it's not too frequent now. Btw with or without cayin drivers, i have not been able to use the master volume control on my PC when i connect RU7. I always have to adjust volume by clicking + and - on the RU7. Is there anyway i can use the volume control on my PC aswell when RU7 is connected ?
Would like to know as well. This is such a deal breaker. :sob:

Oct 17, 2023 at 6:24 PM Post #1,675 of 2,174
just got the RU7, also rattle from the 3.5mm port

rattle is confirmed from the 3.5mm gold ring by tapping the 3.5mm port.

also when i hold the gold ring and try to tap or shake the dongle there is no more rattle, so i guess the rattle is from the gold ring on the 3.5mm port.

is this normal? should i ask for replacement?

also this is my 2nd unit, my first one has a crooked screen, i kinda forgot if the first unit has the same rattle or not,

anyone else can confirm on this?

@Andykong

Mine rattles exactly the same but I don't find it an issue as I use the 4.4 exclusively. If it stops working or anything happens I'll report back but so far no issue after 2-3 months of ownership.

Oct 17, 2023 at 7:33 PM Post #1,676 of 2,174
Mine rattles exactly the same but I don't find it an issue as I use the 4.4 exclusively. If it stops working or anything happens I'll report back but so far no issue after 2-3 months of ownership.
i see..
anyone else with rattle on the 3.5mm port?

edit :
@Earbones may i ask, after you get your replacement RU7 is it still rattling on the 3.5mm port?

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2023 at 11:48 PM Post #1,677 of 2,174
Hi,

I need some help. I am having issues with neutron player. Firstly it doesn’t allow playback of music on my phone, s20fe. When I uninstall Neutron Player all other music apps work. Also, I lose my artist library on my sd card. On neutron player it show no artists present when I connect the Ru7. I also get a pop up asking for permission to use neutron player. Apologies if this has been covered before.

Oct 18, 2023 at 4:14 AM Post #1,679 of 2,174
Out of interest. Do you have a preference (RU7 or FC6)?

It's a tough one. If I had to choose one device to do it all, it would be the RU7 hands down thanks to it having balanced out and more power, 100 volume steps vs only the 30 on the FC6 along with many more features. However, when it comes to sound, there's a subtle difference - the RU7 is more transparent, cleaner and wider, while the FC6 is a bit warmer, less extended and less sharp - and I prefer this with the IEM I daily (7th Acoustics Supernova).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back