Cayin RU7: 1-Bit Resistor Network Dongle DAC /Amp
Oct 6, 2023 at 1:15 AM Post #1,651 of 2,175
Music won't play at all, I'm getting a replacement from DDhifi so it may just be the cable. But even when it was working there was and I assume will always be clipping at high volumes through the balanced port when using iPhone, single-ended port worked up to the highest listenable volume for me (~75), so I'd use that with iPhone.
https://bloomaudio.com/collections/ddhifi/products/ddhifi-mfi07s-otg-lightning-usb

"The original Nyx MFi09S series used a 1st generation silver shielded wire which used a relatively complex structure of separate shielding for its power supply and data transmission. This greatly helped to reduce noise in devices whose power supplies were susceptible to interference.

The new version 2 Nyx 07 series uses the 2nd generation of silver shielded wire which distributes the power supply and data wires at equal intervals. It also uses imported insulation material with an adjusted-density shielding net with black and white spacing along with an outer insulation layer in accordance with impedance matching. Compared to the 1st gen, the newer 2.0 wire is smaller and more compact.

When using an iPhone with audio decoding devices and high current, it’s common to get a pop-up reminder warning that the device cannot be used due to excessive power requirements. The MFi07S uses Lightning 2.0 which allows more audio dongles to be compatible with iPhone."

No problems with iphone 14pro/RU7 and this newer cable. The MFi09S older cable will give problems with stuttering or not playing at all at higher DSD modes

Oct 6, 2023 at 2:11 PM Post #1,652 of 2,175
https://bloomaudio.com/collections/ddhifi/products/ddhifi-mfi07s-otg-lightning-usb

"The original Nyx MFi09S series used a 1st generation silver shielded wire which used a relatively complex structure of separate shielding for its power supply and data transmission. This greatly helped to reduce noise in devices whose power supplies were susceptible to interference.

The new version 2 Nyx 07 series uses the 2nd generation of silver shielded wire which distributes the power supply and data wires at equal intervals. It also uses imported insulation material with an adjusted-density shielding net with black and white spacing along with an outer insulation layer in accordance with impedance matching. Compared to the 1st gen, the newer 2.0 wire is smaller and more compact.

When using an iPhone with audio decoding devices and high current, it’s common to get a pop-up reminder warning that the device cannot be used due to excessive power requirements. The MFi07S uses Lightning 2.0 which allows more audio dongles to be compatible with iPhone."

No problems with iphone 14pro/RU7 and this newer cable. The MFi09S older cable will give problems with stuttering or not playing at all at higher DSD modes
It actually turned out that somehow the cable broke the same day I upgraded to iOS 17 so it seemed like it was the OS. Linsoul sent me a replacement cable and it works fine now.

Oct 6, 2023 at 7:40 PM Post #1,653 of 2,175
Hello everyone !

Here is one more RU7 short review:

I listened music with DSD64/DSD256 for hours each, and I had no issue at all with my Iphone and the Cayin Lightning to USB-C cable.
It also work very well with my PC (Cayin Asio driver), and I have no quality lost when the DAC is warm.

From my personnal experience with my non-professional ears:
It's a lot better than my Apple Lightning to Jack DAC, but not so impressive compared to the build-in DAC in my PC motherboard.

There is a noticable difference between DSD settings:
DSD64 = natural/live but messy -> nice with slow songs or vocal with few acoustic instruments.
DSD256 = pure and precise but cold -> nice with electronic, or fast songs with many instruments (like symphonic metal). -> my preference.

-------

I also tested the temperature of the device:

- Phone = Iphone X (iOS 16.7)
- App = Qobuz (Mix Flac 44 kHz/16 bits -> 192 kHz/ 24 bits)
- Data cable = Cayin CS-L2C (Lightning to USB-C)
- Audio cable = Unbalance Focal jack 3.5 mm TRS
- Headphone = Focal Celestee (32 Ohm)
- Volume = 70 High Gain (~ 80 Low Gain)

a) 1 Hour IDLE
Phone battery = 100% --> 92%
Data cable = 27°C --> 43°C (lightning port side temperature)
Cayin RU7 = 27°C --> 33°C (USB-C port side temperature)

b) 1 Hour All to DSD64
Phone battery = 100% --> 89%
Data cable = 27°C --> 47°C
Cayin RU7 = 27°C --> 37°C

c) 1 hour All to DSD256
Phone battery = 100% --> 84%
Data cable = 27°C --> 51°C
Cayin RU7 = 27°C --> 39°C

--> So if you dont use it, remember to unplug it! :)

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2023 at 7:51 PM Post #1,654 of 2,175
Hello everyone !

I listened music with DSD64/DSD256 for hours each, and I had no issue at all with my Iphone and the Cayin Lightning to USB-C cable.
It also work very well with my PC (Cayin Asio driver), and I have no quality lost when the DAC is warm.

It's a lot better than my Apple Lightning to Jack DAC, but not so impressive compared to the build-in DAC in my PC motherboard.

DSD64 = natural/live but messy -> nice with slow songs or vocal with few acoustic instruments.
DSD256 = pure and precise but cold -> nice with electronic, or fast songs with many instruments (like symphonic metal). -> my preference.

-------

a) 1 Hour IDLE

b) 1 Hour All to DSD64

c) 1 hour All to DSD256

You didn't use DSD128? I consider that the best one, I never use the other two.

Oct 6, 2023 at 8:07 PM Post #1,655 of 2,175
Yes I did ! and as expected I think it's well balanced between the 2 others modes indeed.
But with my playlists, it's feel like the DSD256 work better for me.
Now I have to buy and try with a symmetric audio cable in 4.4mm to check if there is any difference/improvement.

Oct 7, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #1,656 of 2,175
Hello everyone !

-------

a) 1 Hour IDLE

b) 1 Hour All to DSD64

c) 1 hour All to DSD256

What's your phones battery health and was the screen of during that hour while playing music?

Oct 8, 2023 at 12:00 PM Post #1,661 of 2,175
Ehi ragazzi, c'è un modo per collegare l'RU7 alla mia Apple TV 4K? Non riesco a trovare nessun cavo USB-C con uscita ottica che colleghi l'RU7 al proiettore o al TV Box?
ru7 non ha uscite usb c ma solo 1 ingresso, l'uscita è solo linea.. ma non vedo il motivo di inserire il proiettore dal ru7, semmai posso supporre il contrario, ma dovresti alimentare ru7 con un USB c T che separa alimentazione e dati audio e poi trova un convertitore da SPDIF a USB C (c'è qualcosa ma non so quanto sia affidabile) procurati personalmente un amplificatore DAC esterno ed evita un pasticcio infinito di cavi di riduzione ecc ecc

Oct 16, 2023 at 12:25 PM Post #1,662 of 2,175
Hey guys. How on earth do you change between standard mode and Line-out mode? Earlier today it was on standard mode, and somehow it changed to line-out and I couldn't adjust the volume. I tried fallowing the instructions in the manual but it did not work.
ResizedImage_2023-10-17_00-20-41_1.jpg

Oct 16, 2023 at 12:30 PM Post #1,663 of 2,175
Hey guys. How on earth do you change between standard mode and Line-out mode? Earlier today it was on standard mode, and somehow it changed to line-out and I couldn't adjust the volume. I tried fallowing the instructions in the manual but it did not work.
The LO function is only useful when I have to connect it to an amplifier... if you use it with headphones/iem it will destroy your eardrums. For safety reasons, in fact, every time you turn it off it deactivates it. :wink:
When you use headphones depending on their sensitivity you have to use high or low gain.

Oct 16, 2023 at 12:32 PM Post #1,664 of 2,175
That's odd that it went into LO by itself. To manually change the mode, press the Mode button to turn on the screen and then press-and-hold the Mode button to get to the menu. Once in the menu, you can use the volume up/down buttons to navigate and the Mode button to change the settings.

Or you can just unplug everything to power it off and when you plug it back in again, it'll default to PO.

Oct 16, 2023 at 1:46 PM Post #1,665 of 2,175
Wondering which cable everyone is using with an iPhone. I have the mf07s, but that regulary stops working or is interfering. I’m waiting on a replacement cable. I also have a Lotoo cable. But that just broke down.

I use the Cayin daily with my iPhone. It’s normally in my front pocket when I’m riding my bike. So I’m looking for a sturdy but flexible cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back