Cayin RU6: R-2R USB Dongle DAC with Head-Amp
Oct 15, 2021 at 3:47 PM Post #47 of 3,665
Oct 17, 2021 at 5:17 AM Post #50 of 3,665
Oct 17, 2021 at 6:07 AM Post #51 of 3,665
Just thinking out loud, but I can't help wondering if it wouldn't be better if it came out as a battery-powered device, even if it was quite a bit larger.

Oct 17, 2021 at 7:59 AM Post #53 of 3,665
Just thinking out loud, but I can't help wondering if it wouldn't be better if it came out as a battery-powered device, even if it was quite a bit larger.
See, I'm on the other side of the fence. I find batteries inconvenient and the more different devices I need to manage charge cycles on the more hassle I have to deal with. If a dongle (on a high powered port) can sound as good as the Mojo, I'd rather use it than the Mojo!

Oct 17, 2021 at 7:59 AM Post #54 of 3,665

Why not just goes a little further with a battery pack that the dongle can fit inside to be used as a self-powered device or take out to be used as USB powered dongle. Win win.

Oct 17, 2021 at 8:29 AM Post #55 of 3,665
Think the battery is a great idea.
I have been using the Ifi Go Blu that has a battery and it’s a really good device.
Especially since a firmware update and can be used as a usb dac.
The battery drain on a W2 is quite high same goes for the Astell &Kern PEE51.
Desktop top doesn’t mater but on the go a battery to make it more powerful makes sense to me.
All these dongles must be eating into the lower, mid price dap market?

Have the Lotoo S2 inbound so looking forward too trying that.

Oct 17, 2021 at 9:32 AM Post #56 of 3,665
See, I'm on the other side of the fence. I find batteries inconvenient and the more different devices I need to manage charge cycles on the more hassle I have to deal with. If a dongle (on a high powered port) can sound as good as the Mojo, I'd rather use it than the Mojo!
Good point too. In every case if this dongle works well it is a revolution in the market. I had three daps and in my opinion for iem dap is too much. A good smartphone with an audiophile dongle is best solution

Oct 17, 2021 at 9:53 AM Post #57 of 3,665
It would be then probably closer in price to HM1000 which is a larger portable R2R DAC with a battery.

Oct 17, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #59 of 3,665
See, I'm on the other side of the fence. I find batteries inconvenient and the more different devices I need to manage charge cycles on the more hassle I have to deal with.

Same here. Been waiting for another R2R solution w/o batteries. Sometimes use dac1101 with my PS5 and great not having to worry about a battery. Fitting 96 resistors will already make the RU6 bigger and battery would make it even larger.

One detail Andy stated was their decision to compromise for best possible sound. Bluetooth won't help there. Plus there's no shortage of existing options even among growing R2R segment (incl Hifiman's announced Bluemini R2R with battery and bluetooth for $149).

I say keep the RU6 more streamlined. I too hope it has a line-out (mode) and pray the volume control won't get in the way. A bit hard-core but if we already have daily drivers and want a track day car, why weigh it down with performance decreasing parts just because some expect EVERY vehicle (and now EVERY new piece of audio gear) to have the exact same features.

Oct 17, 2021 at 2:18 PM Post #60 of 3,665
@Andykong wondering if the ru6 will be close to the r01 in performance? considering it's a device purely for r2r while the n6ii only had r01 motherboard specifically made for r2r (for example the hiby rs6 is an entire dap that's built around r2r)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back