Cayin N8ii: The Incredible DAP with ROHM DAC and fully BAL Nutube
Jan 8, 2024 at 4:53 PM Post #5,461 of 5,538
Hi guys, quick question for you regarding the N8ii : when listening to an application such as Soundcloud, NTS (not live but previous programs) or Bandcamp, the N8ii stops playing when the screen turns off (note: it doesn't happen with Qobuz). Is it something I need to deal within the settings ?

Thanks a lot in advance for the help !

Jan 9, 2024 at 5:10 AM Post #5,462 of 5,538
We're a lot to have some special feelings for the N8II!

Somehow I read N8II! as N8III and feel nervous about your special feelings. :ksc75smile:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jan 9, 2024 at 5:29 AM Post #5,463 of 5,538
Recently exchanged my SP3000 for a N8ii, and could not be happier with this decision! I gave the SP3000 a couple weeks but it never spoke to me, sound-wise or aesthetically, while the N8ii fits my preferences so well in both those categories.

I also had planned on using the N8ii mainly as a source and its DAC rather than as an "all-in-one" for my over-the-ear headphones (I was thinking, with the Woo WA8, I'd always prefer it over N8ii's tube sound), but I have to say, I find I'm enjoying it just as much as the Hugo2/WA8 combo! The tubes on this thing do indeed may make a very cool difference in sound versus the solid state. The WA8 definitely has a more "tube-like" sound comparatively, but the sense of space definitely gets enhanced in a beautiful way on N8ii's tube mode. The synergy with the N8ii as an all-in-one with my headphones is stellar.

Stoked. Plus, little things, like the volume fade-up when the music starts to play back instead of the usual hard digital sounding start up, and the white/yellow design that appear when the volume is being changed... just, very cool. I know I sound like a total fanboy, but I figured this thread could appreciate it, ha!

WA8 is a transformer-coupled vacuum tube headphone amplifier, it is probably the only transportable device that offers full-scale tube experience in that form factor. If that's what you are looking for, it is indeed a better choice over N8ii or even C9 when these are, in a nutshell, a Tube + Solid State hybrid amplifier.

That also led to one fairly controversial issue of N8ii: N8ii doesn't sound very "tubey" and disappointed some users in this regard. While Cayin understands tube amplification and has produced a lot of transformer-coupled vacuum tube amplifiers for different applications, we know we can't offer that kind of experience in DAP form factor and practical requirements. So we decided to take a different route and that's exactly what you have experienced. The Nutube on N8ii "do indeed may make a very cool difference in sound versus the solid-state" but it is not "tube-like" when compared to transformer coupled tube amp., we use Nutube as a tool to achieve a different take of high fidelity, "tubey" or "not tubey" is secondary during our R&D process.

Jan 9, 2024 at 5:32 AM Post #5,464 of 5,538
Hi guys, quick question for you regarding the N8ii : when listening to an application such as Soundcloud, NTS (not live but previous programs) or Bandcamp, the N8ii stops playing when the screen turns off (note: it doesn't happen with Qobuz). Is it something I need to deal within the settings ?

Thanks a lot in advance for the help !

I didn't know any of these applications, so I can't offer any immediate help, just want to confirm that the situation is application-related, so when you are using a streaming app such as Qobuz, or a media app. such as Youtube, it doesn't happen like that after you have encountered these problems?

Jan 9, 2024 at 5:35 AM Post #5,465 of 5,538
Is there a realistic chance for an OS upgrade for the N8ii? I don’t know if Cayin has upgraded OS for DAPs in the past. I have no need for a new DAP from SQ standpoint. N8ii is just about perfect with the Jewel. However, one last upgrade in OS would be very kind of Cayin.

We don't have any plan to upgrade the OS of N8ii. We have explained our constraint HERE in previous dicussion.

Jan 9, 2024 at 10:27 AM Post #5,466 of 5,538
Dear All,
I’m using my N8ii not only as a pure Audio Player, but also to watch music videos.

The source of such videos is mainly YouTube that I download normally in the “original” MP4-Format via my PC and copy them by USB to various folders (by topics or genre) in the Internal Storage .
Unfortunately some videos won’t play, even though they performed OK on my PC, using the VLC Player or Windows Media Player.

I tried to copy all videos to a folder on the SD-card; from here I could play them, but only as audio tracks, not as videos.

My questions:
Which Video player app is installed on the N8ii ? can change some replay modes, such as format, EQ or such ?
Can I install a different app, e.g. VLC or similar ?
HOW would I do this ? (Sorry, I’m a "Digital Nobody" with Android and mobiles and such...

& Regards
Urs

Jan 9, 2024 at 12:24 PM Post #5,467 of 5,538
We don't have any plan to upgrade the OS of N8ii. We have explained our constraint HERE in previous dicussion.
giphy.gif

Jan 9, 2024 at 6:08 PM Post #5,468 of 5,538
Dear All,
I’m using my N8ii not only as a pure Audio Player, but also to watch music videos.

The source of such videos is mainly YouTube that I download normally in the “original” MP4-Format via my PC and copy them by USB to various folders (by topics or genre) in the Internal Storage .
Unfortunately some videos won’t play, even though they performed OK on my PC, using the VLC Player or Windows Media Player.

I tried to copy all videos to a folder on the SD-card; from here I could play them, but only as audio tracks, not as videos.

My questions:
Which Video player app is installed on the N8ii ? can change some replay modes, such as format, EQ or such ?
Can I install a different app, e.g. VLC or similar ?
HOW would I do this ? (Sorry, I’m a "Digital Nobody" with Android and mobiles and such...

& Regards
Urs
Open the Google play store app, type "vlc" in the search field on the top, choose the "VLC for Android" (the well known orange cone with the white stripes), click on the Install button - there you are.

Jan 9, 2024 at 11:18 PM Post #5,469 of 5,538
The Nutube on N8ii "do indeed may make a very cool difference in sound versus the solid-state" but it is not "tube-like" when compared to transformer coupled tube amp., we use Nutube as a tool to achieve a different take of high fidelity, "tubey" or "not tubey" is secondary during our R&D process.
"A different take on high fidelity" is something I'd strongly agree with, as well as other things you wrote - I was just listening this evening and, to me, it sounds very high-fi, immersive and beautiful, yet somehow relaxed at the same time, even in AB and P+ mode. A really beautiful sound for a DAP - I can listen on the couch, away from my desktop set-up and get this kind of sound for when I want something that sounds fantastic yet mellow. The volume resolution works so well with the sound, too - I can crank it a bit and still not get any shoutiness or listening fatigue. I don't have anything else that sounds like it and I love it. Thank you 🙏

Jan 11, 2024 at 4:39 AM Post #5,473 of 5,538
3.5 to RCA for N8ii’s ROHM dac flavour
USB to WA7 you’ll be hearing WA7’s dac
Oh thanks for clarifying!
I surely want to test n8ii's dac so thats the way :)

- do i need to set n8ii in any kind of "dac mode" or nothing to configure other than the cables?

- does it matter if i go 3.5 or 4.4 to rca?

- will doing so, lock the n8ii's volume on 100? giving me more volume headroom from the wa7?

Jan 11, 2024 at 7:43 AM Post #5,474 of 5,538
Oh thanks for clarifying!
I surely want to test n8ii's dac so thats the way :)

- do i need to set n8ii in any kind of "dac mode" or nothing to configure other than the cables?

- does it matter if i go 3.5 or 4.4 to rca?

- will doing so, lock the n8ii's volume on 100? giving me more volume headroom from the wa7?
There are two 3.5mm outputs, one is marked for headphones, and the other is line out. You should plug the 3.5mm to RCA cable into theine Out 3.5mm output of N8ii and you are good to good. There are no other settings in this connection because you have by passed the amp. section and volume of N8ii.

Last edited:

Jan 11, 2024 at 9:08 AM Post #5,475 of 5,538
WA8 is a transformer-coupled vacuum tube headphone amplifier, it is probably the only transportable device that offers full-scale tube experience in that form factor. If that's what you are looking for, it is indeed a better choice over N8ii or even C9 when these are, in a nutshell, a Tube + Solid State hybrid amplifier.

That also led to one fairly controversial issue of N8ii: N8ii doesn't sound very "tubey" and disappointed some users in this regard. While Cayin understands tube amplification and has produced a lot of transformer-coupled vacuum tube amplifiers for different applications, we know we can't offer that kind of experience in DAP form factor and practical requirements. So we decided to take a different route and that's exactly what you have experienced. The Nutube on N8ii "do indeed may make a very cool difference in sound versus the solid-state" but it is not "tube-like" when compared to transformer coupled tube amp., we use Nutube as a tool to achieve a different take of high fidelity, "tubey" or "not tubey" is secondary during our R&D process.
Wow this is a really honest and transparent statement, thanks for this info Andy. I own a WA8 and enjoy it very much for it’s tubey sound but at the same time it is very heavy, becomes extremely hot when in use and it’s battery lasts only about 2h so it can’t be called portable like a N8ii or C9, it’s form factor makes it a superb transportable amp for home and travel. Would be fun if Cayin decides to build one to bring some competition to Woo! :ksc75smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back