Cayin N8ii: The Incredible DAP with ROHM DAC and fully BAL Nutube
Jan 20, 2024 at 4:21 PM Post #5,491 of 5,538
5h listening session comparing 320 Max ti with Cayin N8ii. Both are superb rivaling some high end desktop systems I heard. N8ii got some superb synergy with Caldera.

Very tempted to pull the trigger. Screen is meh. Anderoid 9 is meh. Sonic perfomance is great.
What about battery change in the future? How difficult is it? How much does it cost with Cayin, how easy is it to do it by yourself?

Jan 21, 2024 at 9:44 AM Post #5,493 of 5,538
The DAP won't drain battery when powered off, but there is a chance that the battery reading is not accurate before you turn it off. When you turn it on the next day, the power management reset its reading to the correct battery capacity.
Hello! Today I conducted an experiment. I turned my N8 ii off and then turned it on. The battery indicator showed 36%. Then, I turned it off again and turned it on after 9 hours. This time, the battery indicator showed 34%. Therefore, I can definitely say that the battery does drain when the device is turned off.

Has anyone else experienced this behavior?

Jan 21, 2024 at 11:23 AM Post #5,494 of 5,538
Hello! Today I conducted an experiment. I turned my N8 ii off and then turned it on. The battery indicator showed 36%. Then, I turned it off again and turned it on after 9 hours. This time, the battery indicator showed 34%. Therefore, I can definitely say that the battery does drain when the device is turned off.

You should try again with headphones unplugged. I've read somewhere that it does drain battery if you let something plugged.

Jan 21, 2024 at 11:30 AM Post #5,495 of 5,538
You should try again with headphones unplugged. I've read somewhere that it does drain battery if you let something plugged.
Thanks for the advice, but my headphones were unplugged. And I'm using the latest firmware version (1.8).

Jan 21, 2024 at 11:44 AM Post #5,496 of 5,538

It's quite normal. When you turn on/off any device, electrical energy is consumed.
For example, early models of Astell&Kern players consumed much more energy when starting up/turning off.

Jan 21, 2024 at 6:18 PM Post #5,497 of 5,538

Snpr

Very early in this thread Andy Kong did put some information out regarding self discharge of the N8ii's Li-Ion battery
Coming from the computer industry I do have to advise customers Li-Ion and similar rechargeable batteries will slowly loose charge over a period of time
Andy's comments did state what Cayin thought was their target rate
Also someone asked if Cayin will support battery replacement at the factory, and if memory serves me correctly Andy did address this early on in the thread also

For just a FYI here are a couple of articles I've shared with people previously in both this hobby and the computer industry, but you can google Li-Ion self discharge rate if you want to read more

https://www.dnkpower.com/myth-or-fa...ave,discharging rate will increase drasticaly.

1705878780157.png

From Tektronics one of the respected leaders in the commercial electronic industries
https://www.tek.com/en/documents/technical-brief/lithium-ion-battery-maintenance-guidelines

1705878940171.png

Not sure how closely the numbers from both these articles match what your seeing, but at first glance I think they are close.

Hope this information helps!

Jan 21, 2024 at 7:55 PM Post #5,498 of 5,538
5h listening session comparing 320 Max ti with Cayin N8ii. Both are superb rivaling some high end desktop systems I heard. N8ii got some superb synergy with Caldera.

Very tempted to pull the trigger. Screen is meh. Anderoid 9 is meh. Sonic perfomance is great.
What about battery change in the future? How difficult is it? How much does it cost with Cayin, how easy is it to do it by yourself?
If you concerned about the Android 9, try to obtain a Cayin N30LE. That comes with Android 12.

Jan 26, 2024 at 4:42 PM Post #5,499 of 5,538
Thanks for the advice, but my headphones were unplugged. And I'm using the latest firmware version (1.8).
I've made the experience, turned off yesterday in the evening (about 11h pm) at 55% and turned on today at about 4h pm and the battery was always 55%.
The headphones were unplugged. Just for information :)

Jan 27, 2024 at 12:01 PM Post #5,500 of 5,538
I've made the experience, turned off yesterday in the evening (about 11h pm) at 55% and turned on today at about 4h pm and the battery was always 55%.
The headphones were unplugged. Just for information :)
Thank you for sharing your experience! Could you please specify which firmware version you are using?

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2024 at 5:00 AM Post #5,502 of 5,538
Feb 6, 2024 at 7:51 AM Post #5,503 of 5,538
Feb 6, 2024 at 8:20 AM Post #5,504 of 5,538
Done, great idea.

Feb 7, 2024 at 10:08 AM Post #5,505 of 5,538
Hi, to whom it may be of interest: I‘m reporting on my findings today regarding the N8ii and playing native DSD to it from a Linux computer, using the N8ii as USB-DAC.

The last times I looked, my Linux distribution - openSUSE Tumbleweed, but maybe many more distros - was not able to play native DSD; only DoP could be done. Today, I incidentally found that the Linux kernel patches ("quirks") necessary for native DSD have been amended for Cayin devices. If I read the comments correctly, it has been Jussi Laako of Signalyst (hqplayer) who did the good deeds. And I discovered that openSUSE Tumbleweed includes these patches in their standard kernels. Great!

I have two use cases for this:

One is Roon, where I run the Core on a Windows laptop, and Roon Bridge on my Linux machine. So now, when I hook up the N8ii as a USB-DAC to this Linux machine, Roon discovers everything correctly and indeed does native DSD replay via Roon Bridge.

The other use case is using my Linux machine in stand-alone, again with the N8ii hooked up as a USB-DAC. My audio player is mpd (Music Player Daemon), with Cantata as the GUI controller. Native DSD works fine here, too.

Just for kicks …

Remark: No official Roon Readiness or Tested needed for the N8ii, as long as it is hooked up to USB. WiFi would be a different animal though …

Remark 2: Besides the many nice aspects of Linux, the fact that no special device driver is needed should be pointed out; the kernel does it all out of the box.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back