Mar 18, 2024 at 2:37 PM Post #5,522 of 5,538
My German manual states:
Der TF-Kartensteckplatz unterstützt TF-Karten des Typs SDHC und SHXC und wurde
auf Kompatibilität mit 512GB TF-Karten getestet

Google translates to
"The TF card slot supports SDHC and SHXC type TF cards and has been
Tested for compatibility with 512GB TF cards"

? Follow-up Question:
Does quality / speed of such cards have an impact on the performance ?

Regards
Urs

PS: Just noticed that the (older !) N7 was tested with 1 TB cards ?

i've got a 1TB in mine.

I have also a 1TB Sandisk Extreme Pro in my Cayin N8ii.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2024 at 6:26 PM Post #5,523 of 5,538
Does anyone know what the max size Micro SD card the N8ii can read up to? Also someone mentioned using a SDXC card with their N8ii, I thought these were micro SD only, it can read SDXC cards?
I am using 1tb microSD
? Follow-up Question:

Regards
Urs

I tried Sandisk Extreme Pro with 200mb/s and Sandisk Ultra with 150mb/s but couldn’t hear the difference, that was tested on dsd and flac files but YMMV.

Mar 19, 2024 at 1:16 AM Post #5,524 of 5,538
SDXC card ?

How do you like the RS8 compared to N8ii?
They are different beasts. Rs8 is more relaxed and has even more tweaking abilities. A more tame treble. N8ii has faster transient control like other chip based dacs but better realism with note decay than akm and ess (generally) I like rs8’s class a implementation better and use it more.

But it’s all about synergy for me. N8ii works with my darker iems and rs8 with more neutral and brighter ones. I don’t ever listen to the iem’s w/o their specific pair ups. I think I give the edge to rs8 because I have more sets that sound good on it and battery life is tremendous. Also, better heat management, but n8ii is special to me and I probably won’t part with it as long as I own Noir and Turii OG. That’s their sound to me now.

Stage wise rs8 is wider and n8ii is taller and deeper but could be iem’s skewing my perception. Both solid, but very much r-2r vs. delta sigma at play.

Mar 19, 2024 at 12:50 PM Post #5,525 of 5,538
I am using 1tb microSD

I tried Sandisk Extreme Pro with 200mb/s and Sandisk Ultra with 150mb/s but couldn’t hear the difference, that was tested on dsd and flac files but YMMV.
The sdCard with higher read speeds tend to improve resolution and extension in the extremes noticeably in my system
Most DAPs can read upto 1TB max on sdcards

Mar 19, 2024 at 1:30 PM Post #5,526 of 5,538
I've got a Sandisk Ultra 512GB in my N8ii, seems to work fine, moved happily from my N8 to a N8ii last week, got to be grateful for co-operation.

Mar 19, 2024 at 1:34 PM Post #5,527 of 5,538
But it’s all about synergy for me. N8ii works with my darker iems and rs8 with more neutral and brighter ones.
Absolutely, my N8 was great with my now both drivers broken Utopias. I bought the Hifiman R10P's as replacements & my new N8ii being brighter than the N8 suits the R10p's perfectly. They need that extra brightness.

Mar 20, 2024 at 6:35 AM Post #5,528 of 5,538
My German manual states:
Der TF-Kartensteckplatz unterstützt TF-Karten des Typs SDHC und SHXC und wurde
auf Kompatibilität mit 512GB TF-Karten getestet

Google translates to
"The TF card slot supports SDHC and SHXC type TF cards and has been
Tested for compatibility with 512GB TF cards"

? Follow-up Question:

Regards
Urs

i've got a 1TB in mine.
I have also a 1TB Sandisk Extreme Pro in my Cayin N8ii.
+1

Apr 10, 2024 at 9:04 AM Post #5,529 of 5,538
We have adjusted the feedback loop carefully to enhance the transparent, transient and extension that can rival the best solid state circuit but yet remain warm and mellow.
@Andykong i think you’ve achieved this, but I have a question: if the sound is amazing, but the player isn’t transitioning smoothly from one track to another, does the wonderful sound matter anymore? I’m using the HiBy player and it isn’t going from one track to the next without cutting off a few seconds of the next track. In albums where the music is continuous from one track to the next, this ruins the experience intended by the artist. I have it set to gapless, and most of my music is in ALAC or FLAC format (24 bit, 192 kHz). I’m using a 1 TB Sandisk Extreme MicroSDXC v30 1 U3 A2. Nothing else is running on the DAP. What could be the problem?

Apr 10, 2024 at 12:01 PM Post #5,530 of 5,538
@Andykong i think you’ve achieved this, but I have a question: if the sound is amazing, but the player isn’t transitioning smoothly from one track to another, does the wonderful sound matter anymore? I’m using the HiBy player and it isn’t going from one track to the next without cutting off a few seconds of the next track. In albums where the music is continuous from one track to the next, this ruins the experience intended by the artist. I have it set to gapless, and most of my music is in ALAC or FLAC format (24 bit, 192 kHz). I’m using a 1 TB Sandisk Extreme MicroSDXC v30 1 U3 A2. Nothing else is running on the DAP. What could be the problem?

I am not sure if I understand your problem correctly. Are you having a problem with the gapless function? This is most likely related to the playback app, not the player.

You said the playback "isn’t going from one track to the next without cutting off a few seconds of the next track. In albums where the music is continuous from one track to the next", so I tried my N8ii with "The Dark side of the Moon" album from Pink Floyd, this is a popular album to test gapless performance and the transition is fairly smooth to me, I can't hear cutting off a few seconds between each track.

In addition, may I suggest you check out the UAPP and Neutron music players? They are famous for their perfect gapless playback according to a lot of users in different DAP threads. If this two music player app can't playback your specific albums (where the music is continuous from one track to the next), then this will worry me and I'll suggest you contact your dealer and ask them to inspect the gapless function of your DAP,

1712764347285.png

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Apr 10, 2024 at 12:35 PM Post #5,531 of 5,538

SanDisk (even if they have a very high data transfer rate) is not the best option for using them in portable players. I would recommend Samsung memory cards. It was with this replacement that I solved a problem similar to yours.
Before use, the memory card must be formatted via a portable player, i.e. Android system.

Apr 10, 2024 at 5:17 PM Post #5,532 of 5,538
SanDisk (even if they have a very high data transfer rate) is not the best option for using them in portable players. I would recommend Samsung memory cards. It was with this replacement that I solved a problem similar to yours.
Before use, the memory card must be formatted via a portable player, i.e. Android system.
I don't have any issue playing music with gap, they all play smoothly, I use SanDisk Extreme MicroSD, I used to have Samsung but it's read speed is a bit lower and it is perceptible in the quality of the playback But no effect on gapless playback, unless if the card has a problem

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2024 at 1:20 AM Post #5,533 of 5,538
I am not sure if I understand your problem correctly. Are you having a problem with the gapless function? This is most likely related to the playback app, not the player.

I'm using the primary app that comes with the player and shows the Cayin brand. I would think the app that comes with the player should work best with the player? Yes, I'm playing tracks that flow one into the other, but the following track isn't seamlessly transitioned into. There is a gap in the music and a second is cut off the beginning of the second song.

Interesting. I will try formatting the SanDisk using the player before springing money for a new card. Is there a 1TB Samsung? Not seeing one on amazon...

Apr 11, 2024 at 1:59 AM Post #5,534 of 5,538
I don't have any issue playing music with gap, they all play smoothly, I use SanDisk Extreme MicroSD, I used to have Samsung but it's read speed is a bit lower and it is perceptible in the quality of the playback But no effect on gapless playback, unless if the card has a problem

I have 15 DAPS, and I've always used SanDisk without issue. I suspect @Andykong is correct that it's the player. I have installed other players and I don't have the issue with them, but I want to be able to use the stock app in the player.

Apr 11, 2024 at 2:07 AM Post #5,535 of 5,538
I'm using the primary app that comes with the player and shows the Cayin brand. I would think the app that comes with the player should work best with the player? Yes, I'm playing tracks that flow one into the other, but the following track isn't seamlessly transitioned into. There is a gap in the music and a second is cut off the beginning of the second song.

Interesting. I will try formatting the SanDisk using the player before springing money for a new card. Is there a 1TB Samsung? Not seeing one on amazon...

The Hiby Music App and Cayin Music App work fine with our DAP, we have the convenience of receiving immediate support from the developer when we run into any problem. Quality of playback is definitely the primary consideration but the decision included a lot of consideration covering pricing, availability, and long-term collaboration. There are dozens of Music Player apps in the market, I dare not claim that HiBy Music App or Cayin Music App is the best among all, especially when there are features and ways of getting things done that fit different user preferences. Some users even prefer the sound signature of other music player apps over Cayin or HiBy Music player app. So I think we should maintain an open mind when we select our music player app in an Android-based DAP.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back