Cayin N8ii: The Incredible DAP with ROHM DAC and fully BAL Nutube
Nov 16, 2023 at 9:18 PM Post #5,431 of 5,538
Hello folks. Any recommendations for cable to connect n8ii with desktop dac through i2s. The inputs has different sizes. I ordered cayin i2s cable ,but it doesn't fit. Thank you
The HDMI cable is meant for desktop Digital Transport to DAC such as IDAP-6 to iDAC6mk2, we offered a complete suit of "short" cable suit convering I2S, XLR and RCA for that purpose.

Officially, we used HDMI type C connector for I2S output in our DAPs, the common market name for this connector is mini HDMI, if you search "mini hdmi to hdmi cable 3ft" in Amazon, you should be able to find a lot of options. Since I2S includes clock signal, so basically the shorter the better. THIS is the shortest L shape Mini HDMI cable I find but I don't know this brand, so I am not sure if they are decent quality, just try to illustrate an appropriate form factor for your consideration.

61lPfPDtiYL._SL1200_.jpg

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Nov 17, 2023 at 9:36 AM Post #5,432 of 5,538
The HDMI cable is meant for desktop Digital Transport to DAC such as IDAP-6 to iDAC6mk2, we offered a complete suit of "short" cable suit convering I2S, XLR and RCA for that purpose.

Officially, we used HDMI type C connector for I2S output in our DAPs, the common market name for this connector is mini HDMI, if you search "mini hdmi to hdmi cable 3ft" in Amazon, you should be able to find a lot of options. Since I2S includes clock signal, so basically the shorter the better. THIS is the shortest L shape Mini HDMI cable I find but I don't know this brand, so I am not sure if they are decent quality, just try to illustrate an appropriate form factor for your consideration.

61lPfPDtiYL._SL1200_.jpg
Thank you :)

Dec 6, 2023 at 4:46 PM Post #5,434 of 5,538
Somebody using Roon Arc on the N8ii?

I am broadening my use cases in the ever growing world of networked audio, doing this for fun, for gaining experience and ultimately for maybe developing useful ways to enjoy my music.

Having Roon on my laptop running as a core, I ventured into using Roon Arc on mobile / portable devices. Very easy to set up the Roon Core and the home WiFi router as well as Roon Arc; Roon Arc is transparent in that it displays the signal path in detail at every step.

My findings until now are as follows. Currently, I tested PCM audio tracks only, but occasionally also looked into DSD. You will see why I am posting on the N8ii thread near the end (cf. Part B).

Part A: Very nice concept with an iPhone, and working fully as expected / hoped for. In my examples, Roon Arc on the iPhone plays bit-perfect with a USB-DAC hooked up to the Lightning port, i.e.
1.) Cayin RU6 via the Cayin-supplied Lightning-to-USB-C cable;
2.) Chord Hugo 2 via the Apple Camera Adapter (which is nothing but a USB port attached to the iPhone) going into the Hugo 2 USB input;
- as a side note, notice that the Hugo 2 provides a great way to circumvent the restrictions on USB power drawn by separating digital data input and 5 V power input into two USB ports;
3.) Cayin Nn8ii in USB-DAC mode via the Apple Camera Adapter going into the N8ii USB-C input;
- as a side note here, notice that this works only with the Apple Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter when it is separately powered by a wall wart because the N8ii alone gets rejected by the iPhone as drawing too much power; however, this tying the iPhone to the wall wart kills portability.

Summary for my iPhone running Roon Arc: Great!

Part B: Next step, check into Roon Arc running on the N8ii, with an IEM on its phone out. This works, but with a BIG gotcha: Everything gets downsampled / converted to 44.1 kHz - indeed, nothing shows up as Bit-Perfect Lossless, just as High Quality (not even 16/44.1), as every audio gets shoved out via AAudio. The enclosed six pics illustrate these findings.

This behavior of Roon Arc on a Cayin DAP had already been noted e.g. with the N7, cf. this post by @Currawong:
Arc won‘t output bit-perfect on the N7 for me.

For me, there are two possibilities:
(a) The Roon Arc Playback Engine isn‘t fit for Android yet;
(b) I am not sure whether Roon Readiness would play a role here, since as of now I think Roon Readiness means the device is capable of working as a Roon endpoint linked to the Roon Core via WiFi.

Summary for my N8ii running Roon Arc: In either case (a) or (b), the promise that the N8ii or actually every DAP with HiBy‘s Android DTA should provide bit-perfectness for any app running on such an operating system just doesn‘t hold yet for Roon Arc. Whoever (Roon? Cayin/HiBy???) needs to work on this …

Thanks for your endurance reading this - FWIW …
The blue dot in the output signal means a downsample ? My signal path using Roon arc is all purple except the output balance that is a blue dot…

Attachments

• IMG_0737.jpeg
    IMG_0737.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Dec 7, 2023 at 11:25 AM Post #5,436 of 5,538
Hello
I've seen somewhere on this thread the color codes for the led but I don't remember which page lol. If someone's got it :pray:
I've got the N8ii since one month and this dap is really incredible! Love it!
See the small table in the last quote.

Hi @Andykong, I was just playing Tidal MQA for testing (…). It occurred to me that there are three (sic!) different legends for the color coding of the home button in your web and hardware materials: The N8ii device Overview page (English) on your website, the printed/online manual (Chinese, English, Japanese) - one finds three different versions of that little table with the colors vs. their rate meanings.

Just wanted to let you know. Of course, we all know what the colors really mean …
We changed the color code when we implement the MQA. Printed manual and online manual are published BEFORE MQA implementation.

Announcement of N8ii Firmware V1.4EN

1654183115112.png

New Functions and System Optimisation

1. Add new feature to support 16x MQA decoding (up to 768kHz)
    • Cayin Music app and HiBy Music app can playback MQA music files on N8ii
    • MQA compatible music apps can play/stream MQA files on N8ii.
    • N8ii can decode MQA content from USB DAC input
  2. Added new feature to support “Knob Reverse”, allowing users to set up the direction of the volume knob according to their own preference or practical need.
    • When turned off (default setting), N8ii will increase volume by rotating the volume knob clockwise
    • When turn on, N8ii will increase volume by rotating the volume knob anticlockwise
  3. Other bugs fixed and system optimization.

N8ii Users can update to the latest firmware through OTA updating or manually local updating. Please visit our official website for more information.

You can find out more information regarding the N8ii MQA implementation from our Press Release. For more information about the MQA technologies, please visit www.mqa.co.uk

When Cayin N8ii plays back downloaded MQA files, the screen will either display MQA or MQA Studio on the status bar below the album art, alongside the bit depth and sampling frequency information of the original file. On the other hand, when users playback MQA content via Tidal streaming, N8ii will display the Master icon instead. ‘Master’, ‘MQA’ or ‘MQA Studio’ indicates that the player is decoding and playing an MQA stream or file. ‘MQA Studio’ indicates it is playing an MQA Studio file, which has either been approved in the studio by the artist/producer or has been verified by the copyright owner.

With MQA technologies in place, we have revised N8ii product page to explain the MQA support in more detail.

04 N8ii Music Format.jpg
03 Smart LED Color code.jpg

N8ii supports 16x MQA, with that, N8ii can unfold the MQA file to an impressive 705.6 kHz (~44.1kHz X 16) or 768 kHz (~48kHz x 16). N8ii users probably are peculiar here since they won't find these sampling frequencies from the N8ii playback screen. What happened is that there are two sampling frequencies in a playback chain: the sampling frequency of the music document and the decoding (or outputting) sampling frequency of the DAC circuit. Cayin Music App, like most music players, displayed the former in the playback UI. Since Cayin didn't include any upsampling features in the FPGA, the sampling frequency of the document is always equal to the decoding sampling frequency, ... until the MQA unfolding comes into play.

So can we verify that we are listening to 16x MQA, instead of 8x or 4x? Well, theoretically we should trust Cayin and MQA as a team, when MQA certifies Cayin N8ii as 16x MQA decoder, it should function as claimed and unfold all MQA sources to 16x. Users can rest assured that Cayin understands your concern and has offered a feature to verify the decoding sampling frequency with Cayin Music App.

N8ii Playback sampling frequency.jpg

If you click on the playback information line (below the MQA status) on the Main playback screen of the Cayin Music App, it will pop up a window to display Output Information and the decoding sampling frequency is what we are looking for here. Unfortunately, we can't do that for third-party applications such as Tidal. or at least, I don't know of a way to do that with Tidal app., but since we have proven the 16x MQA support already, I suppose we can feel assured at this point.

Dec 9, 2023 at 1:33 PM Post #5,438 of 5,538
The blue dot in the output signal means a downsample ? My signal path using Roon arc is all purple except the output balance that is a blue dot…
Will the N8II be part of the "Roon Ready" devices ? I would like to see that !

Dec 10, 2023 at 10:07 AM Post #5,439 of 5,538
Dec 10, 2023 at 10:47 AM Post #5,440 of 5,538
I’m outing me as a new-comer to the N8ii. I had for a few months the N7, but I got such a good offer for this up-grade, so I couldn’t resist. :relaxed:

Now my fist questions:
The EQ-curves app allows custom setting(s) that can be saved - or so I understand.
BUT: How do I retrieve this Custom EQ ? Where is it stored ? Can I save more than one custom EQ-set ?

Next query: I do NOT use the N8 for on-line services , such as downloading or streaming. All my music is ripped from CD’s or from the internet (or is in digitized FLAC format from Vinyl) but it’s always copied via USB from my PC .
Does it make still sense to up-date to the newest firm wear ? From the descriptions I learn that up-dates mainly concern streaming or such and not the stand-alone operation.

Thanks for your help

Regards
Urs

Dec 10, 2023 at 11:43 AM Post #5,442 of 5,538
The EQ-curves app allows custom setting(s) that can be saved - or so I understand.
BUT: How do I retrieve this Custom EQ ? Where is it stored ? Can I save more than one custom EQ-set ?

It depends of your installed softwares.
I mainly use UAPP that can load files from sd card and Hiby Player (same base as cayin player) that can directly download and store confs by search.

Yes last updates add small benefits here and here so no obligation but if you can why not.

Enjoy your N8ii, it's been a year with mine and it still procure me huge amazement.

Dec 10, 2023 at 6:30 PM Post #5,443 of 5,538
Been away for awhile. What is the latest on the N8ii getting an update to full Roon Ready status? It was mentioned very early on that it was part of the development plan but curious if there’s any update or if official silence suggests it’s not coming after all?

Dec 12, 2023 at 10:13 PM Post #5,445 of 5,538
Been away for awhile. What is the latest on the N8ii getting an update to full Roon Ready status? It was mentioned very early on that it was part of the development plan but curious if there’s any update or if official silence suggests it’s not coming after all?
Can't say anything official when we signed an NDA at the beginning of the process.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back