Cayin N8ii: The Incredible DAP with ROHM DAC and fully BAL Nutube
Dec 24, 2022 at 12:14 PM Post #5,041 of 5,538
Thanks for being such an important part of the Cayin community. Hope you have a great Christmas and New Year!

2022 Christmas Greeting.jpg

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Dec 24, 2022 at 3:36 PM Post #5,042 of 5,538
@ECKHUAAA, sorry to hear about your problem. Myself, I have not decided yet on when and how to update to fw 1.6, OTA or locally.

As I did all previous fw updates to my N6ii and N8ii via OTA, I am new to local fw updates and would like to ask:

What gets reset under a local update, when doing this without a manual Wipe Data/Factory Reset? Would I lose some personal Android preferences settings (not too bad)? Would I lose all my installed apps and their settings (really bad)? Is a Factory Reset advisable in case of doing a local update?

PS: I understand that an OTA update is sort of an incremental update, exchanging a few components. A local update from the downloaded zip file is a full update, exchanging ”everything“.

Thanks in advance for some ”teaching“.

PPS: The most interesting question regarding an fw update would be: Could such update perform flashing new code to the FPGA? (You know, like flashing the BIOS of computers.) Asking this out of curiosity only; I know I probably will not get an answer, but I am happy without one. So forgive me, please.
The manual wipe key sequence as detailed by Andykong no longer works, rather its embedded in the system update menue and it gives you 3 reset options and what it will wipe
I had tried this several times but still unable to upgrade beyond 17% at which point I get the failure in my previous post.
I will do the manual download to an SD card and use local update next.
Thanks

Dec 24, 2022 at 4:19 PM Post #5,043 of 5,538
The manual wipe key sequence as detailed by Andykong no longer works, rather its embedded in the system update menue and it gives you 3 reset options and what it will wipe
I had tried this several times but still unable to upgrade beyond 17% at which point I get the failure in my previous post.
I will do the manual download to an SD card and use local update next.
Thanks
Local update worked, copied the zip file to my SD card using the local update, found the file clicked on it and that was all.

Dec 24, 2022 at 5:36 PM Post #5,044 of 5,538
I just purchased this DAP from another headfier and it is expected to arrive in about a week.

Anyone know some IEMs that best synergize with the n8ii?

Also, what other TOTL DAPs would be a good complement to own along side the n8ii for a contrasting flavor. Just ordered the WM1Z M2 for my Z1R.

I like the Aroma Jewel and UM LeJardin. Not cheap but they pair with the N8II very nicely.

Dec 24, 2022 at 6:28 PM Post #5,045 of 5,538
I like the Aroma Jewel and UM LeJardin. Not cheap but they pair with the N8II very nicely.
100%. Red Halo FS + N8ii synergy is superb.

Dec 24, 2022 at 8:05 PM Post #5,046 of 5,538
Thanks Andy for explaining how Cayin handles MQA?with the new switch. It sounds to me that if Android decoded it partially all the time then flipping that switch should bring it pretty close to pre 1.4 functionality.

Anyway...my feeling on the format still stands, but I definitely see why Cayin implemented it. Eventually if something gets too popular you have to include it to stay current. It just never should have got popular in the first place :)

Anyway... here's a question for everyone:

Has anyone compared the sound of an RU6 dongle off of a quality phone to the N8ii stand-alone?

Right off the top of my head, there's going to be several "compromises"...

1. Obviously there's going to be a power difference and it won't be able to drive headphones the same.

2) Obviously there's going to be no tube sound involved which is one of the main forte of the player

3) ...and not so obviously, it is not a true balanced discrete path to the 4.4 output-- unlike the player.

Of course, there's a certainly not an insubstantial price difference between the two :)

I happen to have picked one up from a head-fier myself to use on my soon to be headphone jack-less phone in the car...so if no one here is tried it out with the same setup and material, I will do it for you & let you know if you're also curious. It doesn't get much better than my setup of N8ii/LG40+RU6 & the totally underrated Final Sonorous X headphones-- so I will know pretty quickly how they compare.

Dec 24, 2022 at 8:08 PM Post #5,047 of 5,538
RU6 doesn't sound like anything close to N8ii.

Dec 25, 2022 at 3:52 AM Post #5,048 of 5,538

+1 !! Excellent synergy between N8ii and Jewel/ Red Halo

Dec 25, 2022 at 6:59 AM Post #5,049 of 5,538
RU6 doesn't sound like anything close to N8ii.
Agreed, not even close. But: Both devices N8ii and RU6 live in their respective tiers, and both have perfect use cases of their own. The RU6 is very good when compared to other dongles, and IMHO pretty much worth its asking price. I own both, and I use the RU6 pragmatically with my iPhone or when I want to quickly listen to something from my laptop (maybe testing software, maybe some YouTube). But nothing in my admittedly small zoo beats the N8ii, which I use for listening in all grandeur.

Anyway, @scottm18, don‘t worry, your RU6 is ideal for what you mentioned, in particular as purchased 2nd hand. You know, peace of mind and enjoyment are key in our hobby, although I guess almost everybody sometimes feels that famous itching more than peace of mind …

Dec 25, 2022 at 10:30 AM Post #5,051 of 5,538
The RU6 is very good when compared to other dongles, and IMHO pretty much worth its asking price

Certainly seems like it is. If nothing else, you get to experience the highly touted R2R DAC arrangement :)

Dec 26, 2022 at 4:49 AM Post #5,054 of 5,538
FYI: There is an interesting post on comparing several DACs on Twister6‘s website HERE. The author talks about his search for DAC happiness, and he explains how the original Cayin N8 showed him what he was missing in the Chord Hugo 2. I wonder how he would think about the N8ii …

Dec 26, 2022 at 6:58 AM Post #5,055 of 5,538
FYI: There is an interesting post on comparing several DACs on Twister6‘s website HERE. The author talks about his search for DAC happiness, and he explains how the original Cayin N8 showed him what he was missing in the Chord Hugo 2. I wonder how he would think about the N8ii …
Interesting comparison especially considering the price difference .
I can see how some people would prefer say a Mojo 2 over a Hugo 2 and others a N8 over a RME.
It’s all down to personal preferences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back