Cayin N8ii: The Incredible DAP with ROHM DAC and fully BAL Nutube
Dec 19, 2022 at 6:54 AM Post #5,013 of 5,538
shameless plug, I have one of these for sale. Brand new and sealed replacement unit from AMP3 in the uk. Selling it at a baragain price. I have very good selling feedback on this forum

Dec 19, 2022 at 7:15 AM Post #5,014 of 5,538
Oh I see. I thought they moved to Poland as whole company.
They have several locations. Headquarters are in poland now.
Another big part is in Hong Kong and I also read that some smaller facility is in Arizona, USA.

Dec 20, 2022 at 8:53 PM Post #5,016 of 5,538
Any N8ii owners in the Bay Area? I want to try it out, and I have a Shanling M9 if someone is interested in auditioning it.

I’ll be back on the west coast in a few days, then I’ll send my unit in for replacement, once that comes back I’ll be selling everything I own as I won’t need it anymore.
If still looking then I’ll hit you up

Dec 21, 2022 at 9:09 PM Post #5,017 of 5,538
Announcement of N8ii Firmware V1.6EN

1671674470635.png

New Functions and System Optimisation
  1. Enhance USB DAC to support USB 3.0 connection
  2. Enable users to exit volume control interface screen by short click at any unmarked area outside the “+” and “-“ control button.
  3. Enable N8ii to adjust output volume after connecting to Bluetooth device that has its own volume control
  4. Other bugs fixed and system optimization.

Users can update to the latest firmware through OTA updating or manually local updating. For more information and detail instruction, please check out v1.6EN Announcement in Cayin website.

We have to rely on Qualcomm's OTA service to deliver the firmware update to N8ii users, therefore OTA are not necessarily available to all users simultaneously. If you are familiar with the N8ii manual update procedure, you can down the full version of v1.6EN from our Google Drive (HERE).

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Dec 21, 2022 at 9:56 PM Post #5,018 of 5,538

1671674470635.png

2. Enable users to exit volume control interface screen by short click at any unmarked area outside the “+” and “-“ control button.
  3. Enable N8ii to adjust output volume after connecting to Bluetooth device that has its own volume control

Users can update to the latest firmware through OTA updating or manually local updating. For more information and detail instruction, please check out v1.6EN Announcement in Cayin website.

We have to rely on Qualcomm's OTA service to deliver the firmware update to N8ii users, therefore OTA are not necessarily available to all users simultaneously. If you are familiar with the N8ii manual update procedure, you can down the full version of v1.6EN from our Google Drive (HERE).
Volume control fix! Thanks Andy :)

Dec 21, 2022 at 10:39 PM Post #5,019 of 5,538
Out of curiosity: Did anybody here roll back his firmware to 1.3 from 1.5 (or 1.4)? How did it go? Sound impressions? Thanks.

I keep "threatening" to, but haven't done it yet :) I was waiting to see what the 1.6 firmware brought...and it was just released. I guess they gave up for the time being on endless waiting for Roon certification?

I was going to suggest that maybe there could be an option checkbox for any MQA decoding to be completely inactivated -- but not sure that would do anything / improve sound quality of regular files.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2022 at 5:25 AM Post #5,020 of 5,538

I have not yet installed it, so no feedback on whether everything works as intended for the time being. I‘d like to comment based on the changelog:

Thank you, @CayinSupport and @Andykong, for listening to your customers. Volume control enhancement (for ease of use) and USB-3.0 capability for USB-DAC function (sort of ”future-proofing“ :wink: …) are welcomed additions. Not having installed the update yet, I hope volume control when outputting to BT works better now; using my TWS was a bit awkward.

And finally, I‘m glad you didn‘t wait for Roon for now. (Just speculating: Maybe USB-3.0 DAC capability is a Roon requirement???) Anyway, I have happily used my N8ii as a Roon endpoint since the day when USB-2.0 was pointed out to us for making the USB-DAC work. Just dial the technical specs of the N8ii into Roon on e.g. the PC, and everything is ready to run.

I had pondered myself whether I should ask for a firmware switch to disable MQA completely, as @scottm18 suggested today. I figure all it would do is to skip testing the file being played for an MQA signature. So I feel such a switch would not be worth the engineers‘ efforts.

All in all, thanks to you, Cayin!

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2022 at 12:01 PM Post #5,021 of 5,538

Updated OTA and the exit volume control interface is so much faster, thank you!

IMG_0216.JPG

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2022 at 12:13 PM Post #5,022 of 5,538

1671674470635.png

@andkong trying to apply the update from device directly ota. I get error when it's at 17%! I have tried Very many times
20221222_111318.jpg

Dec 22, 2022 at 12:51 PM Post #5,023 of 5,538
Trying to apply the update from device directly ota. I get error when it's at 17%! I have tried Very many times

When I've personally updated OTA, I don't even get that far... it just doesn't connect. Might I suggest just downloading from their Google Drive, connecting the N8ii to your computer and put it in a directory you can get to like Downloads.

If you think about it, do you really want to trust something as important as a firmware update to an OTA download? I'm sure it's CRC checked, but any glitch in that process conceivably could brick the system... and it really doesn't take very long to do the safer method.

Dec 22, 2022 at 12:56 PM Post #5,024 of 5,538
Trying to apply the update from device directly ota. I get error when it's at 17%! I have tried Very many times

When I've personally updated OTA, I don't even get that far... it just doesn't connect. Might I suggest just downloading from their Google Drive, connecting the N8ii to your computer and put it in a directory you can get to like Downloads.

If you think about it, do you really want to trust something as important as a firmware update to an OTA download? I'm sure it's CRC checked, but any glitch in that process conceivably could brick the system... and it really doesn't take very long to do the safer method.
I have done all other updates via OTA only this is giving trouble, I will lookvat the option you suggested Thanks

Dec 22, 2022 at 6:26 PM Post #5,025 of 5,538
Out of curiosity: Did anybody here roll back his firmware to 1.3 from 1.5 (or 1.4)? How did it go? Sound impressions? Thanks.

I keep "threatening" to, but haven't done it yet :) I was waiting to see what the 1.6 firmware brought...and it was just released. I guess they gave up for the time being on endless waiting for Roon certification?

I was going to suggest that maybe there could be an option checkbox for any MQA decoding to be completely inactivated -- but not sure that would do anything / improve sound quality of regular files.
I have successfully
updated to 1.6.
33B2C740-5D6D-4AB2-A046-FF89665D6F8B.jpeg
There seems to be a MQA decode button on/off within the audio settings tab now. Not sure how much of a difference it makes with regular files yet but thought i would point it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back