Cayin N8ii: The Incredible DAP with ROHM DAC and fully BAL Nutube
Dec 27, 2022 at 7:37 PM Post #5,057 of 5,538
Upgraded successfully to firmware 1.6 EN. FWIW, OTA worked like a charm, a matter of less than 2 minutes. Just checked the functioning of the volume knob, great.

No sound impressions yet.

Regarding @ECKHUAAA‘s observation:
Did anyone notice the slight increase in bloom, improved image definition slightly bigger sound stage after the 1.6 firmware update?
I don‘t have anything to say yet. And honestly, I would not know whether I would be able to confirm or refute, given my setup and auditory capabilities. I‘ll try to …

Dec 28, 2022 at 9:14 AM Post #5,058 of 5,538
Folks, in case someone - like me - happens to be interested in R2R DACs/DAPs because of their much-touted sonic qualities, here is a little heads-up notice. Most of the folks here will know about R2R and DSD story; I just learned about this during the past days.

R2R DACs struggle a lot with the DSD format, since their conversion-to-analog principle and the 1-bit DSD format are contradictory to each other.

If you happen to like DSD albums, and happen to be interested in HiBy‘s latest R2R flagship DAP RS8, then you might want to take a good look at the RS8 thread here, starting from HERE and extending currently to HERE. It is observed - at least by some - that the RS8 seems to continue a somewhat flawed DSD playback as the RS6 did.

I just thought some of you might find this hint useful.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2022 at 10:12 AM Post #5,059 of 5,538
Well I'll find out about DSD with the RU6 dongle which should be arriving very soon...as about 100% of my current library is DSD. Looks like it may be streaming Qobuz instead :)

Couldn't pass it up @ only $200 with the case... and that was *after* I added more money than was the asking price because I was just too low...and it's the holidays!

Won't match the N8ii...but should pair well with my HP jack-less Samsung phone also soon to arrive.

Dec 28, 2022 at 3:14 PM Post #5,060 of 5,538
Folks, in case someone - like me - happens to be interested in R2R DACs/DAPs because of their much-touted sonic qualities, here is a little heads-up notice. Most of the folks here will know about R2R and DSD story; I just learned about this during the past days.

R2R DACs struggle a lot with the DSD format, since their conversion-to-analog principle and the 1-bit DSD format are contradictory to each other.

If you happen to like DSD albums, and happen to be interested in HiBy‘s latest R2R flagship DAP RS8, then you might want to take a good look at the RS8 thread here, starting from HERE and extending currently to HERE. It is observed - at least by some - that the RS8 seems to continue a somewhat flawed DSD playback as the RS6 did.

I just thought some of you might find this hint useful.
Cayin N6ii-RO1 is R2R also it does play DSD files I have on it but only upto 256fs and even 512fs I believe, need to check, I mostly listen on my N8ii these days
This is my N6ii-RO1 playing DSD flawlessly so the issue is probably issue with RS8 not due to R2R itself

Attachments

• 20221228_172643.jpg
    20221228_172643.jpg
    926.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 28, 2022 at 11:49 PM Post #5,061 of 5,538
This is my N6ii-RO1 playing DSD flawlessly so the issue is probably issue with RS8 not due to R2R itself
That‘s true. DSD needs to be ”pre-processed“ and ”filtered“ before it can go to the R2R ladder. HiBy in both the RS6 and the RS8 (current firmware) seems to have flawed filtering, though there are differences between the two DAPs. But most probably my thinking and wording are really inadequate, others can explain this much better than me. Cayin probably did it right in the R01.

Cayin N6ii-RO1 is R2R also it does play DSD files I have on it but only upto 256fs and even 512fs I believe, need to check, I mostly listen on my N8ii these days
Oh yes, I also had the N6ii with both the A02 and R01 modules before I replaced it with the N8ii. My personal feeling back then always was that I liked the A02 module (AKM 4497 DAC chips) better than the R01 (R2R resistor ladder) - contrary to many who tout R2R for their ”musicality“. Hard to say why: A02 felt more engaging, better staging (wider and deeper) and imaging, better dynamics (in particular micro), sweeter and yet more resolving. The R01 felt a bit more ”raw“ and heavy-handed than the A02 to me. Sorry for an inadequate description.

But that may be due to the fact that the A02 (line-out only) needed to be run through the C9, while running the R01 (phone-out only) through the C9 proved to be awful double-amping. So it is not a like-for-like comparison between A02 and R01.

Thus, I would not go so far to conclude for me that I am generally more of a Delta-Sigma DAC chip type of guy than an R2R person.

The one conclusion I have for sure is: I‘m really happy that Cayin with the Rohm DAC chip in the N8ii has found a wonderful substitute for AKM chips.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2022 at 11:57 PM Post #5,062 of 5,538
That‘s true. DSD needs to be ”pre-processed“ and ”filtered“ before it can go to the R2R ladder. HiBy in both the RS6 and the RS8 (current firmware) seems to have flawed filtering, though there are differences between the two DAPs. But most probably my thinking and wording are really inadequate, others can explain this much better than me. Cayin probably did it right in the R01.

Oh yes, I also had the N6ii with both the A02 and R01 modules before I replaced it with the N8ii. My personal feeling back then always was that I liked the A02 module (AKM 4497 DAC chips) better than the R01 (R2R resistor ladder) - contrary to many who tout R2R for their ”musicality“. Hard to say why: A02 felt more engaging, better staging (wider and deeper) and imaging, better dynamics (in particular micro), sweeter and yet more resolving. The R01 felt a bit more ”raw“ and heavy-handed than the A02 to me. Sorry for an inadequate description.

But that may be due to the fact that the A02 (line-out only) needed to be run through the C9, while running the R01 (phone-out only) through the C9 proved to be awful double-amping. So it is not a like-for-like comparison between A02 and R01.

Thus, I would not go so far to conclude for me that I am generally more of a Delta-Sigma DAC chip type of guy than an R2R person.

The one conclusion I have for sure is: I‘m really happy that Cayin with the Rohm DAC chip in the N8ii has found a wonderful substitute for AKM chips.
I’ll go out on a limb here and guess it’s a mathematical equation that’s implemented incorrectly? As in I am sure there’s some information in the audio file on how to process it, but nothing is standard… so there needs to be some formula to make sure that if A, then B, but if AA then also B, not C. With all the extra “old school” analog processing that R2R needs to do it is like programming punch cards all over again?

Correct me if wrong

Dec 29, 2022 at 4:47 AM Post #5,063 of 5,538
Did anyone notice the slight increase in bloom, improved image definition slightly bigger sound stage after the 1.6 firmware update?
After a smooth, flawless upgrade to fw 1.6 I noticed a definite improvement in sound quality, imaging and sound stage are more defined, there is a greater clarity and all summed up perhaps a more tubey sound, which is what made me choose Cayin's N8ii, given its past experience with tubes, over other brands.

Dec 31, 2022 at 7:08 AM Post #5,064 of 5,538
@Andykong
Is there perhaps any possibility that via a firmware update down the line there is an enablement of Class A with P+ ?
Seeing how RS8 has it and the intruducion of cooling pad products for daps as of late , would that be possible?
Maybe perhaps just for the SS mode (if the Tube would still be problematic) would also be great and extended the satisfaction n8ii customers are going to have :)
Thnx

Dec 31, 2022 at 12:22 PM Post #5,065 of 5,538
@Andykong
Is there perhaps any possibility that via a firmware update down the line there is an enablement of Class A with P+ ?
Seeing how RS8 has it and the intruducion of cooling pad products for daps as of late , would that be possible?
Maybe perhaps just for the SS mode (if the Tube would still be problematic) would also be great and extended the satisfaction n8ii customers are going to have :)
Thnx

We have explained this in the very beginning, we can't enable P+ and Class A at the same time because that will exceed the current that can be provided by the 3.8V Lithium battery.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Dec 31, 2022 at 12:40 PM Post #5,066 of 5,538
On the last day of 2022, we want to thank our friends and users for your long-term support and participation. Your contribution is the main reason that endorses N8ii as one of the benchmarks for the Personal Audio community. Headfonia has named N8ii as the Best DAP in 2022, and we believe N8ii is also the best DAP to a lot of personal encaustic in this thread.

2022 is a difficult year, we are looking forward to 2023 and with your support, we'll bring more joy and fun to all cayin friends and users in the coming year. :beerchug:

N8ii - Headfonica Product of the Year 2022.jpg
coming

Last edited:

Dec 31, 2022 at 1:06 PM Post #5,067 of 5,538
We have explained this in the very beginning, we can't enable P+ and Class A at the same time because that will exceed the current that can be provided by the 3.8V Lithium battery.
Then there is the possibility of a battery 🔋 upgrade that can be handled either directly by Cayin or trained distributors and I am sure other areas of performance will benefit from that 😉

Dec 31, 2022 at 3:09 PM Post #5,068 of 5,538
@Andykong
Thnx

Then there is the possibility of a battery 🔋 upgrade that can be handled either directly by Cayin or trained distributors and I am sure other areas of performance will benefit from that 😉
Or … get a C9 amp if that fits your portability preferences …

Dec 31, 2022 at 7:21 PM Post #5,070 of 5,538

This is technically impossible. The limitation is on 3.8V lithium battery technology, it can't be solved by installing a bigger battery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back