Cayin N8ii: The Incredible DAP with ROHM DAC and fully BAL Nutube
Jan 15, 2023 at 3:39 AM Post #5,086 of 5,547
Cayin's 2023 Chinese New Year Holiday Announcement

The Chinese New Year is around the corner, and all teams in Cayin will have their yearly holiday starting 14th January 2023, and we shall resume operation on 30th January 2023.

All members of Cayin wish everyone an amazing Year of the Rabbit.

Chinese New Year 2023.jpg

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jan 15, 2023 at 5:37 AM Post #5,088 of 5,547

The Chinese New Year is around the corner, and all teams in Cayin will have their yearly holiday starting 14th January 2023, and we shall resume operation on 30th January 2023.

Andy Kong,
Wishing you a Happy New Year/Year of the Rabbit from a person born in the year of the Rabbit!

Take care and stay safe!

Jan 15, 2023 at 10:05 AM Post #5,089 of 5,547

Happy Lunar New Year Andy from the land where it will be the year of the cat instead! Somehow the rabbit lost the race in Vietnam!

Jan 15, 2023 at 7:12 PM Post #5,090 of 5,547
Side note, do i spy the Odyssey? Would love to hear any quick thoughts you may have on how they pair with the N8ii?
n8ii : P+, Tube, L gain, AB
c9 : Pre, Tube, H gain, AB
Gold Plated Sterling Silver Palladium Cable
Spinfit CP360 S size

Nothing special. I'm satisfied with this.
Because the bass is originally enough
As an all-rounder, I wanted to save the middle and high notes.

Jan 17, 2023 at 4:23 PM Post #5,091 of 5,547
So I finally connected up the N8ii to an amplifier... but because it is an older model it only has analog inputs. It appears...well obviously...the headphone output has the choice between Tube & SS but the line out does not. You can choose between (a separate) three gain L.O. settings which range from 1 volt to 2 volt output... but nothing else is affected that I can determine. It doesn't do the four second pause as it switches between modes--which tells me its not doing it at all..

Is it true you only get the (tube) option with the headphone out? What other "compromises" are made with the Line Out jack?

I guess that's why Cayin also sells a tube integrated amplifier :)

Does anyone know if the usb-c digital output works the same way?

Jan 19, 2023 at 11:47 AM Post #5,092 of 5,547
Is anyone able to connect their N8ii to enterprise wifi at work (WPA2/WPA3 Enterprise)? I can't get it authenticated to work wifi. Shanling M9 was able to connect to work wifi.

Update:
I was able to connect with the following settings. Android makes it way too complicated for this kind of stuff.

1. For EAP method Select PEAP
2. For CA Certificate or Certificate Select Do Not Validate or similar
3. For Phase 2 authentication Select MSCHAPV2
4. For Identity Enter our username
5. For Anonymous Identity, leave it blank.
6 For Password Enter our password

Hopefully this helps others who listen at work.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2023 at 1:10 AM Post #5,094 of 5,547
Hello!
Has anyone found a problem with gapless playback of tracks?

This is very difficult to find out, since it requires having albums with a lot of high-resolution tracks and at the same time recorded without gaps.
As a rule, such a problem has a certain sequence and systematic nature.
For example, noticeable stuttering or barely noticeable cuts can occur when listening to four, six, eight, twelve, and so on tracks in a row at a resolution of 24/96 or 24/192.

Is it somehow related to the buffering of files in the player's RAM?

I noticed this already with firmware 1.6. But it is quite possible that such a problem can be with earlier firmware.

Again, it may turn out that someone in a large music collection has only a few albums that allow such a problem to be detected.

Jan 23, 2023 at 1:54 PM Post #5,095 of 5,547
Hello!
Has anyone found a problem with gapless playback of tracks?

This is very difficult to find out, since it requires having albums with a lot of high-resolution tracks and at the same time recorded without gaps.
As a rule, such a problem has a certain sequence and systematic nature.
For example, noticeable stuttering or barely noticeable cuts can occur when listening to four, six, eight, twelve, and so on tracks in a row at a resolution of 24/96 or 24/192.

Is it somehow related to the buffering of files in the player's RAM?

I noticed this already with firmware 1.6. But it is quite possible that such a problem can be with earlier firmware.

Again, it may turn out that someone in a large music collection has only a few albums that allow such a problem to be detected.
No, I didn‘t notice anything like that. I use Neutron, UAPP, Qobuz.

But, please, which player(s) do you notice that with?

Jan 24, 2023 at 1:24 AM Post #5,097 of 5,547
I use Cayin Music app and HiBy Music app. Basically it's the same player.
It is likely that the problem with gapless playback may occur due to their incorrect operation.
I am listening to a large portion of live recordings (jazz, classical), where applause goes across track boundaries. Amongst them, I should mention Grateful Dead live recordings, who used to segue something like three, four or five songs in a row. In particular the latter would enable one to hear a fault in gapless replay most clearly?

But, as I said, I didn‘t notice s.th. like that yet with Neutron, UAPP, Qobuz. I‘ll keep watching …

Jan 24, 2023 at 8:30 PM Post #5,099 of 5,547
Picked up the updated Cayin N8ii case from Andrew at Musicteck. Big improvement over OG stock case with butter soft leather, magnetic closure for case, good fit, side slot provides easy access to the microSD on the side.

Overall very nice though I find the Dignis Pantheon case for N8ii does a better job of venting heat for long time listening.

DD96A0A6-E47E-4283-862C-D383E24F842E.jpeg

95822BE0-9639-4BED-A614-85A95C2937FF.jpeg

Jan 24, 2023 at 8:42 PM Post #5,100 of 5,547
Picked up the updated Cayin N8ii case from Andrew at Musicteck. Big improvement over OG stock case with butter soft leather, magnetic closure for case, good fit, side slot provides easy access to the microSD on the side.

Overall very nice though I find the Dignis Pantheon case for N8ii does a better job of venting heat for long time listening.

DD96A0A6-E47E-4283-862C-D383E24F842E.jpeg

95822BE0-9639-4BED-A614-85A95C2937FF.jpeg
Thanks for sharing. Is there a listing on his website to buy this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back