HiBy RS8 flagship Darwin R2R Android DAP -- Class A -- news and impressions thread
Dec 26, 2022 at 2:24 PM Post #1,547 of 3,415
Dec 26, 2022 at 2:25 PM Post #1,548 of 3,415
Dec 26, 2022 at 2:42 PM Post #1,549 of 3,415

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2022 at 6:57 PM Post #1,551 of 3,415
Dec 26, 2022 at 7:22 PM Post #1,552 of 3,415
Dec 27, 2022 at 5:45 AM Post #1,553 of 3,415
Nori San from Sandal Audio released his impression of RS8:

https://sandalaudio.blogspot.com/2022/12/hiby-rs8-dap.html

Thank you pointing out this review. Japanese high-end has always been sort of special, devices and people. Admittedly, I‘ll need at least one more read to grasp what the author wants to say at some points, or what gets lost in translation.

But anyway: His talk about DSD and the RS8
struck me heftily:

Currently, with firmware 1.04, only the DSD mode switch seems to behave strangely, so I'll talk about that later.

By the way, there is something that caught my attention when I started listening. There seems to be something wrong with playing DSD files.

There is an item called DSD filter in the DARWIN menu, and you can choose from two types, "Darwin Default" and "Darwin 1".
This was an issue with the RS6 as well, but it's even weirder with the RS8.
When the RS6 was launched it had no filter options and was fixed to the same filters as the current Darwin 1. When listening to DSD files in this state, there was a problem that strange noises occurred in quiet scenes of music depending on the song.
After that, the Darwin Default filter was added in the RS6 firmware update, and although you can't hear the noise with this, the sound is less powerful and quieter, so I'd rather put up with the noise and listen with the Darwin 1 filter. It was so much that I thought it would be better. This dilemma is still unsolved.
And with the RS8 this time, when I chose the Darwin 1, the same squealing noise as the RS6 was generated, and the noise volume was louder than with the RS6, reaching a level that could not be ignored. And if you choose Darwin Default, not only will the sound be dull, but for some reason the volume will drop significantly.
You can adjust the level of DSD playback in the settings menu (RS6 is set to +3dB), but the volume is too low to handle. You might think that you should turn up the volume, but that would make the subsequent PCM file playback extremely loud, so it's not very practical.
The DARWIN II has double the number of DAC circuits, but only one side of the DSD is used. So, I will put DSD playback on hold for the time being.

Line out: DSD still sucks, but PCM sounds great.

The only complaint I have with the RS8 is that DSD is still important for jazz and classical listeners like me, so the lack of perfection around DSD file playback is fatal. I hope it will be fixed in a future firmware update.

Please, could someone explain to me what the story about DSD with the RS8 or with R2R in general is? Confirm what the author says?

Side remark: With the Chord Hugo 2, I always felt DSD to sound somewhat dull and lackluster as compared to PCM. Maybe something that goes back to a similar root cause? (I think I read somewhere that the Hugo 2 internally decimates DSD to PCM, even when accepting native DSD. True?)

Dec 27, 2022 at 6:27 AM Post #1,554 of 3,415
Thank you pointing out this review. Japanese high-end has always been sort of special, devices and people. Admittedly, I‘ll need at least one more read to grasp what the author wants to say at some points, or what gets lost in translation.

But anyway: His talk about DSD and the RS8
struck me heftily:

Currently, with firmware 1.04, only the DSD mode switch seems to behave strangely, so I'll talk about that later.

By the way, there is something that caught my attention when I started listening. There seems to be something wrong with playing DSD files.

There is an item called DSD filter in the DARWIN menu, and you can choose from two types, "Darwin Default" and "Darwin 1".
This was an issue with the RS6 as well, but it's even weirder with the RS8.
When the RS6 was launched it had no filter options and was fixed to the same filters as the current Darwin 1. When listening to DSD files in this state, there was a problem that strange noises occurred in quiet scenes of music depending on the song.
After that, the Darwin Default filter was added in the RS6 firmware update, and although you can't hear the noise with this, the sound is less powerful and quieter, so I'd rather put up with the noise and listen with the Darwin 1 filter. It was so much that I thought it would be better. This dilemma is still unsolved.
And with the RS8 this time, when I chose the Darwin 1, the same squealing noise as the RS6 was generated, and the noise volume was louder than with the RS6, reaching a level that could not be ignored. And if you choose Darwin Default, not only will the sound be dull, but for some reason the volume will drop significantly.
You can adjust the level of DSD playback in the settings menu (RS6 is set to +3dB), but the volume is too low to handle. You might think that you should turn up the volume, but that would make the subsequent PCM file playback extremely loud, so it's not very practical.
The DARWIN II has double the number of DAC circuits, but only one side of the DSD is used. So, I will put DSD playback on hold for the time being.

Line out: DSD still sucks, but PCM sounds great.

The only complaint I have with the RS8 is that DSD is still important for jazz and classical listeners like me, so the lack of perfection around DSD file playback is fatal. I hope it will be fixed in a future firmware update.

Please, could someone explain to me what the story about DSD with the RS8 or with R2R in general is? Confirm what the author says?

Side remark: With the Chord Hugo 2, I always felt DSD to sound somewhat dull and lackluster as compared to PCM. Maybe something that goes back to a similar root cause? (I think I read somewhere that the Hugo 2 internally decimates DSD to PCM, even when accepting native DSD. True?)
you can refer to rs6 thread. I pointed out the problem rs6 playing dsd during the initial launch of the player. I am the first and only one point it out. no one including the kol twister6 able to tell the problem. after that hiby introduced new filter to fix the problem. the Darwin default in rs8 render dsd correctly except low volume but you can slide the slider in gain to max to compensate.

there must be something happened between hiby and dsd alliance

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2022 at 12:09 PM Post #1,555 of 3,415
you can refer to rs6 thread. I pointed out the problem rs6 playing dsd during the initial launch of the player. I am the first and only one point it out. no one including the kol twister6 able to tell the problem. after that hiby introduced new filter to fix the problem. the Darwin default in rs8 render dsd correctly except low volume but you can slide the slider in gain to max to compensate.

there must be something happened between hiby and dsd alliance
Thanks for pointing to the RS6 thread. Just did a search there for ”DSD“, resulting in 3 pages of search results. My conclusion from superficially looking at these is: Seems to be a general and everlasting issue between R2R and DSD, since the DSD digitization principle and the R2R conversion-to-analog principle are contradictory to each other. Will have to dig deeper for my education.

Dec 27, 2022 at 1:00 PM Post #1,556 of 3,415
When listening to DSD files in this state, there was a problem that strange noises occurred in quiet scenes of music depending on the song.

Think it needs the manufacturer to clarify, otherwise people are guessing in the dark. DSD has high frequency noise that requires a low band pass filter. This report of noise artefacts could be describing a filter defect. It could be something else entirely.

Dec 27, 2022 at 3:02 PM Post #1,558 of 3,415
Hype!

RS8.png

Dec 27, 2022 at 3:55 PM Post #1,559 of 3,415
Dec 27, 2022 at 3:57 PM Post #1,560 of 3,415
For some reason I thought you already had one 🤣. Hope you like it.

That was my bud's, was burning it in for him cause he's lazy, LOL :wink: We had gift exchanges on XMAS eve.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• wj18
Back