Cayin N8ii: The Incredible DAP with ROHM DAC and fully BAL Nutube
Mar 5, 2022 at 7:59 PM Post #1,006 of 5,543
Mar 5, 2022 at 8:17 PM Post #1,007 of 5,543
Great read and interesting for me the comparisons to M17 (and that metaphor :p "While I would call the Fiio flagship a big armored truck, the new Cayin N8ii is a Rolls Royce" is pretty self explanatory) and t N6ii/R01 which I owned... can't wait to get my N8ii in an check it out against M9 as well if it's not sold before that :p

Nice pics too!
I haven't compared the N8ii with the M17 in terms of sound, and since use in the office is my main need (the device is as small as possible with good sound so it doesn't get too noticeable), I prefer the M17 in the Charging design when external DC power supply - At this time, the external DC power supply can be set to not charge the internal battery, which is beneficial to the service life of the internal battery. If the N8ii has the same charging design, it is definitely my first choice.

Mar 5, 2022 at 8:18 PM Post #1,008 of 5,543
Oh boy a lot of discussion on N8ii the past 48 hours. This is awesome.

I tried it for like 2 hours at Zep when it arrived earlier last week. When I tried it it was just unboxed, and only run in for a few hours, not fully burn in. I'm not good at explaning, but N8ii doesn't sound like C9. I would also say that N8ii SS mode doesn't sound as good/detail as SP2000. And I don't think it beats SP2000+C9 sound to me, but that's my preference. But if you take into account the size, portability, the flexibility, and the variety of options (P/P+, A or A/B, Tube vs SS), I think it's an amazing DAP.

I will probably go in to Zep again soon to try it after it's been run in a bit this past week. It is an excellent DAP imo.

In regards to Tube sound, it definitely sound tubey to me. If you switch between Tube or SS mode, you hear it immediately. I don't think it can be missed. Maybe not as tubey as N8, may not even be as tubey as C9, but variety is better no? This way N8ii doesn't replace SP2000+C9 (or gets ignored by those that already have SP2000+C9) but rather becomes another option, and a strong candidate at that. I have been looking for a DAP that can match/surpass my SP2000+C9, and several has come close in term of sound, (and far surpass it in other areas like streaming, UX, connectivity, etc.), N8ii is probably the closest to beating my love for SP2000+C9 combo, although I have yet to try piping N8ii through C9 yet to see if that create different magic. (I haven't tried Lotoo or L&P stuff though.)

Mar 5, 2022 at 8:28 PM Post #1,009 of 5,543

I tried it for like 2 hours at Zep when it arrived earlier last week. When I tried it it was just unboxed, and only run in for a few hours, not fully burn in. I'm not good at explaning, but N8ii doesn't sound like C9. I would also say that N8ii SS mode doesn't sound as good/detail as SP2000. And I don't think it beats SP2000+C9 sound to me, but that's my preference. But if you take into account the size, portability, the flexibility, and the variety of options (P/P+, A or A/B, Tube vs SS), I think it's an amazing DAP.

I will probably go in to Zep again soon to try it after it's been run in a bit this past week. It is an excellent DAP imo.

In regards to Tube sound, it definitely sound tubey to me. If you switch between Tube or SS mode, you hear it immediately. I don't think it can be missed. Maybe not as tubey as N8, may not even be as tubey as C9, but variety is better no? This way N8ii doesn't replace SP2000+C9 (or gets ignored by those that already have SP2000+C9) but rather becomes another option, and a strong candidate at that. I have been looking for a DAP that can match/surpass my SP2000+C9, and several has come close in term of sound, (and far surpass it in other areas like streaming, UX, connectivity, etc.), N8ii is probably the closest to beating my love for SP2000+C9 combo, although I have yet to try piping N8ii through C9 yet to see if that create different magic. (I haven't tried Lotoo or L&P stuff though.)
What were the TRACKS used to compare the AK dap vs N8II ?

Mar 5, 2022 at 8:45 PM Post #1,011 of 5,543
I think distinct camps have appeared: those who have heard N8ii, and those who have not.
To me it is a two-by-two, so four camps:
  1. Those who have heard and liked it
  2. Those who have heard and disliked it
  3. Those who have not heard and have doubts about it
  4. Those who have not heard and are favorable to it.

Given that not that many people have heard N8ii in the US, I think it is important for them to have the correct expectations. That’s why I am thankful that Andy has clarified the tube sound aspect of N8ii here.

Mar 5, 2022 at 8:49 PM Post #1,013 of 5,543
Camp 2 is a little small given camp 2 acknowledges he has not heard a burnt in unit, and intends to return for a second listen after burn in.

It's not been a write-off.

Let's all hear it first.
No one said it's a write-off :)

I'm eager to hear it with my new CIEM collection, it will be put through its paces to say the least.

Mar 5, 2022 at 9:02 PM Post #1,014 of 5,543

I was at Zepp on Thursday, I believe one day after the unit arrived. Yes, there is a difference between SS and Tube modes and it’s noticeable switching between both modes, most apparent with tube mode adding more body to the presentation. What IEMs were you using for your test btw? I auditioned with Odin and EVO with EVO working much better with the N8ii. Not surprising since the neutral and leaner signature on the N8ii gave a better balance with the more full bodied EVO vs the Odin.

I must admit that I went into the audition expecting an n8 tube signature with better technicalities. However I did not realize the change in tuning direction which was highlighted in the release notes which I did not bother reading up (not really into lengthy literature and detailed specifications)

Prob takes a lot for a DAP to be groundbreaking for me as well after the LP6 TI AE and DMP. So references do play a big part since I’m comparing all the new gears with my existing ones. Some may argue that they are at different price points but to me these are all TOTL players and it’s interesting to be able to hear how each company tunes their top players to make them stand out vs the competition.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2022 at 9:04 PM Post #1,015 of 5,543
Camp 2 is a little small given camp 2 acknowledges he has not heard a burnt in unit, and intends to return for a second listen after burn in.

It's not been a write-off.

Let's all hear it first.
I am jealous that there are great shops like yours in SG that can give people this opportunity. In the US, it has become very difficult now that Canjam is over.

Mar 5, 2022 at 9:07 PM Post #1,017 of 5,543
I am jealous that there are great shops like yours in SG that can give people this opportunity. In the US, it has become very difficult now that Canjam is over.

Road trip to Andrew's house :p

Mar 5, 2022 at 9:22 PM Post #1,018 of 5,543
Insofar as the N8ii is concerned, it will just seem that Cayin has moved away from the N8 sound signature. So, persons who loved the N8 should not buy it merely on the basis that it bears a similar name. Because the sound signature has evolved. Caveat emptor: pls try before buying for N8 owners who want to recapture the magic (minus the challenging UI) of the N8.

It may be the N8ii will be more suitable for one’s preferences. N8 was well loved. But it also had detractors because of its dense and layered soundstage. So, those who were not so keen on the N8 may prefer the N8ii. :)

Mar 5, 2022 at 9:23 PM Post #1,019 of 5,543

Shops like Zepp and Jaben are priceless. I had the opportunity to audition the EVO again at Zepp this trip and bought it again immediately. It sounded so much better vs my first unit... Not sure what happened there but I am so happy that I had a 2nd chance. Would have missed out big time if the opportunity did not exist.

Mar 5, 2022 at 9:25 PM Post #1,020 of 5,543
I was at Zepp on Thursday, I believe one day after the unit arrived. Yes, there is a difference between SS and Tube modes and it’s noticeable switching between both modes, most apparent with tube mode adding more body to the presentation. What IEMs were you using for your test btw? I auditioned with Odin and EVO with EVO working much better with the N8ii. Not surprising since the neutral and leaner signature on the N8ii gave a better balance with the more full bodied EVO vs the Odin.

I must admit that I went into the audition expecting an n8 tube signature with better technicalities. However I did not realize the change in tuning direction which was highlighted in the release notes which I did not bother reading up (not really into lengthy literature and detailed specifications)

Prob takes a lot for a DAP to be groundbreaking for me as well after the LP6 TI AE and DMP. So references do play a big part since I’m comparing all the new gears with my existing ones. Some may argue that they are at different price points but to me these are all TOTL players and I it’s interesting to be able to hear how each company tunes their top players to make them stand out vs the competition.
Missed you by a day. I was there Wednesday evening, right after it arrived.

I had EVO with me but didn't try it. I will try EVO next time I go in. I tried it with Jewel, Odin, and phonex. Odin and Jewel are bright and based on your impression, they may not have been the best fit with N8ii, although I prefer bright sounding iem, so I was fine with them, They're in fact my favorite iem. But given your recommendation of warmer IEM, I will bring other less bright, warm leaning iem to try next time. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back