Cayin N8ii: The Incredible DAP with ROHM DAC and fully BAL Nutube
Mar 6, 2022 at 3:34 PM Post #1,037 of 5,543
Tubes add distortion to music. The distortion varies depending on the type of tube you use and the stage of amplification you put it. It ranges from a buzzy sound, to a warm and lush sound with expanded and 3-d sound stage. Some tubes actually sound more solid state and are sought after because of it. After you've heard what a tube amp sounds like with various tubes, you know what it is and it is very easy to pick out. For me, my preferred listening set up is with a transformer coupled tube amp. I love my music with the warm and lush sound of tubes.
Super helpful. Thank you. I don’t have much experience with tubes, except C9 and I’ve always been curious.

Mar 6, 2022 at 6:50 PM Post #1,039 of 5,543
Can anyone explain me what src by-pass mean? Does it mean that it will pass Android driver with any application? Thank you
SRC = Sample Rate Conversion (https://source.android.com/devices/audio/src)
Bypassing Android SRC means lossless audio will remain lossless (at the OS level) regardless of Android application used (Apple Music, Amazon Music, Qobuz, Tidal, CandyCrush etc). If you play lossless Apple Music 192 kHz file on Cayin N8ii, you will hear lossless music at 192 kHz.

Android devices (like smartphones) which do not have SRC bypass technology will not be able to output lossless audio (even if music streaming app supports lossless music). Some apps like UAPP or HibyMusic have SRC bypass, however you will be restricted to those apps. If you play lossless Apple Music 192 kHz file on an Android device without SRC bypass, you will hear a resampled music file at 48 kHz (whether this difference is easily audible is another discussion).

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2022 at 7:43 PM Post #1,041 of 5,543
SRC = Sample Rate Conversion (https://source.android.com/devices/audio/src)
Bypassing Android SRC means lossless audio will remain lossless (at the OS level) regardless of Android application used (Apple Music, Amazon Music, Qobuz, Tidal, CandyCrush etc). If you play lossless Apple Music 192 kHz file on Cayin N8ii, you will hear lossless music at 192 kHz.

Android devices (like smartphones) which do not have SRC bypass technology will not be able to output lossless audio (even if music streaming app supports lossless music). Some apps like UAPP or HibyMusic have SRC bypass, however you will be restricted to those apps. If you play lossless Apple Music 192 kHz file on an Android device without SRC bypass, you will hear a resampled music file at 48 kHz (whether this difference is easily audible is another discussion).
How about YouTube ?

Mar 6, 2022 at 7:48 PM Post #1,042 of 5,543
How about YouTube ?
haha :laughing:

If YouTube Music ever comes out with a high res version of their catalogue, which I doubt. However Apple should be introducing their Classical service this year, which I am very much excited for.

Mar 6, 2022 at 7:52 PM Post #1,044 of 5,543
How about YouTube ?
I am a YouTube Premium and YouTube TV subscriber. The biggest value of YouTube Premium is no commercials for videos. My family loves Youtube music because it has music not available anywhere else. We also have a Spotify family plan which I haven't used in a couple years that I haven't cancelled because I have been waiting for 13 months now for Spotify Hifi which they announced in Feb 2021 for availability at the endo f 2021.

Mar 6, 2022 at 7:58 PM Post #1,045 of 5,543
It is simple. If I buy a dap that highlights certain feature, I want it to deliver it.

If I buy a R2R dap, I will want that organic non-fatiguing sound. That’s the exact reason I did not buy Hiby RS6 because several of my trusted friends here said it is not really R2R sound at all.

If I buy N8ii, I will want it to have a good tube sound. I had C9 before and I thought its tube output does not do much. It is an excellent product nonetheless because the SS mode by itself is very good. So, I think it is fair to say that I am puzzled by the move to make N8ii even less tubey. In that spirit, many of my friends, and myself included, will likely not be able to to hear much (or any) difference between the tube and SS mode.
I own the RS6, definitely not fatiguing, it has a very warm organic sound with softer edges. Definitely less “fatiguing” and more “rounded edges” then the LP6, which has a more detail forward top end. You probably should try some of these devices before making a final decision. RS6 is a little rough sounding when first pulled out of the box but like any r2r dac needs a good burn in.

Mar 6, 2022 at 8:16 PM Post #1,046 of 5,543
Caught up with this thread. I think the question that @bluestorm1992 was trying to raise was if the tube setting was similar to the "warm" sound like the N8. Warm as in it changes the sound signature for bright IEMS. Some pre-ordered under that basis. I fall under that camp. I am hoping that there is enough of a difference from the various settings for me to justify keeping it. Otherwise, it would make more sense (for my use case) to buy an WA8 + RS6
I am a YouTube Premium and YouTube TV subscriber. The biggest value of YouTube Premium is no commercials for videos. My family loves Youtube music because it has music not available anywhere else. We also have a Spotify family plan which I haven't used in a couple years that I haven't cancelled because I have been waiting for 13 months now for Spotify Hifi which they announced in Feb 2021 for availability at the endo f 2021.
Not sure if this is an audiophile sin but I use Youtube Premium to listen to music that Tidal doesn't have i.e. covers of songs, niche categories or remixes of electronic music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back