Cayin N8ii: The Incredible DAP with ROHM DAC and fully BAL Nutube
Feb 26, 2022 at 7:51 AM Post #676 of 5,543
Based on dimensions and weight alone, the 300Max is bigger and heavier. It is not pocketable for me for sure. Regarding volume knob on N8ii, they can be set to locked while screen is locked so it won't turn accidentally while in pocket/bag.

Feb 26, 2022 at 7:57 AM Post #678 of 5,543
I can't see how either are pocketable unless you're Jack Reacher 🤔
I'm only 5"8, they fit fine in my denim shorts pockets when I'm out and about. Won't fit in jeans or skinnies though.
023FD54F-E52A-4E78-95D3-D44F00933C77.jpeg

Based on dimensions and weight alone, the 300Max is bigger and heavier. It is not pocketable for me for sure. Regarding volume knob on N8ii, they can be set to locked while screen is locked so it won't turn accidentally while in pocket/bag.
My point was not about dimensions nor weight but ergonomics... why is this getting twisted *pun*. I'm always fiddling with the volume knob with different tracks that are being played. Like I said, I was seriously contemplating getting a N8ii, but now don't see how it would fit my use case.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2022 at 8:15 AM Post #680 of 5,543
I'm only 5"8, they fit fine in my denim shorts pockets when I'm out and about. Won't fit in jeans or skinnies though.

My point was not about dimensions nor weight but ergonomics... why is this getting twisted *pun*. I'm always fiddling with the volume knob with different tracks that are being played. Like I said, I was seriously contemplating getting a N8ii, but now don't see how it would fit my use case.
That looks really tight! Pretty sure you need to get it out before taking a seat right? :smile:

Well the N8ii was also in my list to buy but I value portability and convenience a lot then price and SQ came second and third. So I purchased N6ii Ti instead and pretty happy with it now.

Feb 26, 2022 at 8:54 AM Post #681 of 5,543
From Alex review, it seems that this N8ii is answering to many people request by the time the C9 arrived

Something like a C9 but with A DAP !!!

The C9 Korg Tubes did sound pretty clean and fast on the C9 with just a touch of tubes goodness.

Then Andy kept saying that physics limitations existed, so in order to pull a C9 with a DAP as an all in one is not possible. However, Cayin listened and tried to go beyond that limitations.

So, what we have now is a DAP with C9 topology. The only things that this DAP is different from the C9 is the dedicated Power supplies that derived from the 4 removable batteries from the C9 (which also results in lower output and no P+/Class A). But everything else is brilliantly done !!

This player was a dream just a couple years ago, and with the C9, the dream got bigger!! And here we have an answer to that!!

The best of this player is that it offers true line out! So, if the portable form is not powerful enough, you can still hook it up to your Large Amplifier and enjoy the wonderful technologies

Cayin got me this time around, and not Sony :)!!! Well done !

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2022 at 9:57 AM Post #683 of 5,543
@Andykong I noticed that the new DAC chips allows Customized Digital filters. Did Cayin customize any of their own ? Or just the stock filters provided ?

Will there be an options for the user to configure it their own ?
EED4EE90-AC2C-4F20-8428-973AB2865CBD.jpeg

I didn't get that far, I am still behind my writing schedule, my next topic is part 2 of ananlog amplfication which covers line out, volume control and heat management, then I have a chapter on Connectivity, and another chapter on Android system ..... :sweat:

and the web team is chasing for some details in the N8ii page, we need to put that online ASAP .....

Let's hope I can start to interact regularly later next week. :beerchug:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Feb 26, 2022 at 10:08 AM Post #684 of 5,543
@Andykong I noticed that the new DAC chips allows Customized Digital filters. Did Cayin customize any of their own ? Or just the stock filters provided ?

Will there be an options for the user to configure it their own ?
EED4EE90-AC2C-4F20-8428-973AB2865CBD.jpeg

We've confirmed with Cayin that stock ROHM filters are used with dynamic oversampling up to 32X, depending on incoming sample rate. ROHM's filters are linear phase.

These chips will process DSD at 1-bit without PCM conversion or DXD processing, since there is no need to adjust digital level. The DACs will output at full-scale into the I/V.

N8II's FPGA will supply I2S to the inputs of these ROHMs.

Feb 26, 2022 at 10:09 AM Post #685 of 5,543
Just realised that the N8ii isn't designed to be pocketable, what with POs on one end, and the volume on the other. You'd end up with the volume face down in a pocket or in the bag.

For my use case (walking about with the 3Max in my pocket), this is a design miss and a hard pass sadly. Will get a C9 if really want to sample the nuTubes.
The point was on the placement of the POs and Volume knob... how would you adjust the volume / prevent damage to the volume wheel / accidental turning of the volume knob while it's in the pocket or in the bag pocket?

When the original N8 has the connector on the top panel, we recieved a lot of request to put them at the bottom, so that the headphone cable can run downward smoothly instead of curving from the top to the bottom of player and then to the ears.

Not sure if this can solve your problem: lock the volume control of N8ii, connect your mobile phone to N8ii via HibyLink, and control playback and volume from your mobile phone. If you are unfamiliar with HiBylink, check it out HERE.

This should sort out your volume control problem on local library, unfortunately HiByLink cannot control volume of third party applications, if streaming is your main music source, this won't work.

Feb 26, 2022 at 10:18 AM Post #686 of 5,543
Yes, it is True Line Out. So one can just Korg Tube Line out and into Korg Tube Line In on the C9 :wink:

@Andykong , I would assume that the Dual KORG is operating under the same foundations of the C9, Input stage right ?

Yes, true line out.

Nope, Nutube is not in the loop for line out because nutubes are function as an amplification stage, it is not a buffer or dirver stage, so we can include Nutube in the Line out.

Yes, they are operated under the same foundation but we employed a different negative feedback design with N8ii, so the sound signature of N8ii and C9 are different. I didn't tell Alex about that but he notice the different when he compare N8ii phone out to N8ii Line out to C9

Feb 26, 2022 at 10:20 AM Post #687 of 5,543
CanJam New York just open-door, if anyone is there already, please take a photo of the N8ii demo setup and post it here, many thanks. :beerchug:

Feb 26, 2022 at 10:23 AM Post #688 of 5,543
@Currawong has published a brief N8ii review on his Youtube channel, someone has posted the screen capture before the video review was onlined, in case you haven't check it out, it here:

Feb 26, 2022 at 10:28 AM Post #689 of 5,543

This works better

Attachments

• 81OfzOSZ4nL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    81OfzOSZ4nL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 0
Feb 26, 2022 at 10:28 AM Post #690 of 5,543
OMG. I am at CanJam NYC. I got into the Musicteck booth. I was the first to hear the N8ii. I listened to 3 tracks and I came up to my room to place an order. First batch is already sold out.

Don't read the reviews. Just buy it. It has the clearest, most vivid and revealing sound with deep, clean bass I have heard in a DAP. I need to sit this side by side with the DMP. I think the DMP might be better, but not by much.

I promised I would only buy it if it blew me away and that it did. Alex was right.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back