Cayin N8ii: The Incredible DAP with ROHM DAC and fully BAL Nutube
Feb 26, 2022 at 1:31 PM Post #706 of 5,543
Feb 26, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #707 of 5,543
Just got done spending 3.5 hours in the Musicteck booth.

Here is a picture of the set up I am buying: N8ii + EXT + FT cable

N8ii FT EXT.jpg

Ahhh kilo bucks cable! :beerchug:

Feb 26, 2022 at 1:37 PM Post #708 of 5,543
That is impressive! What headphones/IEMs did you demo with?
Traillii, EVO and EXT. I went back and listened for another hour. I got a seat behind the table so I could listen as long as I wanted. EVO did not sound that great with it. It is so revealing that the elevated upper mids presented too much glare even for me. The N8ii does magic with the Traillii and the EXT. The EXT becomes a great all arounder that works even with classical music. The timbral issue I have with the Bird is fixed with the N8ii. It actually sounds more like live music which I did not expect.

Feb 26, 2022 at 1:41 PM Post #711 of 5,543
Ahhh kilo bucks cable! :beerchug:
I love and hate you guys.
Woah. N8ii is TT2 level for DAC performance?
I need to A/B test it. When I get it, I will do it. As you know, audio memory isn't that great. I do have all of my IEMs with me, so I can A/B test all of the Fir and Aroma IEMs against what I currently own. To my ear, Odin is better than Jewel. EVO is better than XE6. If I just heard them without A/B testing, I would have thought they might be better. So, I can't say for sure if N8ii + EXT is better than TT2 + EXT. But it might be.

Feb 26, 2022 at 1:42 PM Post #712 of 5,543
Did you demo WA8 and N8ii out of interest?
No, today, I was focused on listening to IEMs, so I needed a baseline and I used the RS6 for that purpose. Tomorrow, I will clear my hearing palette and try to source roll the IEMs I liked most.

Feb 26, 2022 at 1:42 PM Post #713 of 5,543
It's not even in the same league. This is the first time that I think a portable system may actually sound better than my desktop. @Rockwell75 is going to die when he here's the pairing I just posted.
So C9’s dead probably? What advantage does it have then besides the ability to roll source dap.

Feb 26, 2022 at 1:44 PM Post #714 of 5,543
Traillii, EVO and EXT. I went back and listened for another hour. I got a seat behind the table so I could listen as long as I wanted. EVO did not sound that great with it. It is so revealing that the elevated upper mids presented too much glare even for me. The N8ii does magic with the Traillii and the EXT. The EXT becomes a great all arounder that works even with classical music. The timbral issue I have with the Bird is fixed with the N8ii. It actually sounds more like live music which I did not expect.
That stinks so not a good match for EVO and most likely Odin as well since it’s even more elevated there. That probably knocks me out of trying the N8ii, really miss AKM chips.

Feb 26, 2022 at 1:46 PM Post #715 of 5,543
So C9’s dead probably? What advantage does it have then besides the ability to roll source dap.
There is still value in DAP rolling with the C9.

Feb 26, 2022 at 1:48 PM Post #716 of 5,543
That stinks so not a good match for EVO and most likely Odin as well since it’s even more elevated there. That probably knocks me out of trying the N8ii, really miss AKM chips.
RS6 + C9 is the best pairing for EVO and Odin.

Feb 26, 2022 at 1:50 PM Post #717 of 5,543
Feb 26, 2022 at 2:00 PM Post #719 of 5,543
No, today, I was focused on listening to IEMs, so I needed a baseline and I used the RS6 for that purpose. Tomorrow, I will clear my hearing palette and try to source roll the IEMs I liked most.
Did you take indigo with you as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back