Cayin N8ii: The Incredible DAP with ROHM DAC and fully BAL Nutube
Feb 26, 2022 at 3:43 PM Post #736 of 5,547
Hope you are kidding about C9.. C9 uses 4 seperate batteries for amplification (it is a pure amplifier.. purity at its best)... A DAP that uses Lithium ion battery (3.7 V, 10000 mAh) to power everything including software, internal electronics and amplifier is not going to compete against pure amplifier.. N8ii is great for portability and first of a kind to have dual KORG tubes (technology inherited from C9).. Also, all the Class A/AB (Cayin N6ii) and solid state/tube (Cayin N8) stuff have been inherited from previous Cayin DAPs.. I am sure @Andykong would not put Cayin C9's amplifier's capability under N8ii (that is like throwing your own exceptional product under the bus)..
Also, I am sure you see the positioning challenge here. If ppl say N8ii is great or even better than C9 (when paired with a decent dap), then some ppl will say what’s the point of owning C9, I will just go with N8ii! Much more convenient as an all-in-one anyway.

On the other hand, when some other ppl conclude that C9 is still much better, then ppl will say: oh N8ii is not worth it since C9 + a decent dap is likely to be even cheaper.

Clearly, a more objective and comprehensive view for C9 vs. N8ii will depend on the user’s own use case. For people prioritizing simplicity, N8ii will be the way to go. For ppl prioritizing Sq and versatility (using both iems and hps, wanting to roll the source dap), C9 will be the way to go. However, such narration gets very complicated and detailed. Honestly, a lot of times I don’t even understand my own preferences well enough. We may expect to see them here a lot when N8ii actually launches.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2022 at 3:58 PM Post #737 of 5,547
Also, I am sure you see the positioning challenge here. If ppl say N8ii is great or even better than C9 (when paired with a decent dap), then some ppl will say what’s the point of owning C9, I will just go with N8ii! Much more convenient as an all-in-one anyway.

On the other hand, when some other ppl conclude that C9 is still much better, then ppl will say: oh N8ii is not worth it since C9 + a decent dap is likely to be even cheaper.

Clearly, a more objective and comprehensive view for C9 vs. N8ii will depend on the user’s own use case. For people prioritizing simplicity, N8ii will be the way to go. For ppl prioritizing Sq and versatility (using both iems and hps, being able to roll the source dap), C9 will be the way to go. However, such narration gets very complicated and detailed. Honestly, a lot of times I don’t even understand my own preferences well enough. We may expect to see them here a lot when N8ii actually launches.
Sure... It is a forum and people are going to have discussion and any new product that comes out will have its new shiny toy hype (just like what C9 had).. Whenever N8iii comes out on 2025 (typical Cayin product cycle) , N8ii will go out of picture, similar to how N8 (which was pathbreaking DAP 4 years back) went out of picture.. There will be people clamoring for N8iii because it has Android 11 or 12 (that is another section of the audience in this market)..

C9 on the other hand has the longevity factor . Cayin doesnt need to create a product with 4 nutubes and call it "C10" to differentiate from C9. C9 will stand on its own, a DAP will not define C9's ability to sustain itself in the market.

If people have the resources and want one stop shop, sure go for N8ii. If you like to try different things and not chain yourself to one product, C9 is providing you that option. I am still rooting for Cayin to succeed because I love all their products and own very many of them (N8, N6ii, RU6 and C9).

Feb 26, 2022 at 3:59 PM Post #738 of 5,547
RS6 + C9 is the best pairing for EVO and Odin.

I have a N8ii on pre-order. I am trying to find the right fit for my Odins. Using tube mode with the Evo/Odin, was the paring still on the good side? If the EXTs works for me, I plan to pick one up as well and use the player for both.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2022 at 4:37 PM Post #740 of 5,547
I'm only 5"8, they fit fine in my denim shorts pockets when I'm out and about. Won't fit in jeans or skinnies though.
023FD54F-E52A-4E78-95D3-D44F00933C77.jpeg

My point was not about dimensions nor weight but ergonomics... why is this getting twisted *pun*. I'm always fiddling with the volume knob with different tracks that are being played. Like I said, I was seriously contemplating getting a N8ii, but now don't see how it would fit my use case.
Fiddling with the knob… this thread is getting twisted and I blame you Justin

My main takeaway from @twister6 ks comprehensive early review is that the N8ii won’t sound as tubey as the N3Pro. Andy confirmed as much when revealing the N8ii. Nutube implementations are usually like that.

You need to accept less-than-stellar technicalities to get that proper distortion-friendly tube sound, and I suppose it’s hard to justify the TOTL status and associated price in that case.

Feb 26, 2022 at 4:45 PM Post #741 of 5,547
I have a N8ii on pre-order. I am trying to find the right fit for my Odins. Using tube mode with the Evo/Odin, was the paring still on the good side? If the EXTs works for me, I plan to pick one up as well and use the player for both.
So far the consensus is that the N8ii with EVO and Odin was not a good pairing, too much upper mid presence. Unless someone else posted it was?

Feb 26, 2022 at 4:50 PM Post #742 of 5,547
I am going wait to compare n8ii with my LP6TI AE. Will see if it will dethroned my favorite dap. Lol

Feb 26, 2022 at 4:54 PM Post #743 of 5,547
So far the consensus is that the N8ii with EVO and Odin was not a good pairing, too much upper mid presence. Unless someone else posted it was?
Does this mean that the N8ii has a more forward upper mid presence? Because I am awfully sensitive with upper mids. From @twister6 's early review, and PMs between us he never mentioned anything like that at all. I think earlier it was said here that N8ii is so revealing that it pushed the upper mids of Odin into uncomfortable territory. Can someone please confirm this for me? Revealing is fine, upper mids into uncomfortable territory is not (for me).

Feb 26, 2022 at 4:55 PM Post #744 of 5,547
On page 25, I asked Twista6 about the upper mid harshness he said he didn't hear any harshness with the Odins:

Didn't hear any harshness with Odin and N8ii (mid gain, P power mode, Tube output, Class AB amp type), and super black background without a hint of hissing.

Feb 26, 2022 at 5:01 PM Post #745 of 5,547
Does this mean that the N8ii has a more forward upper mid presence? Because I am awfully sensitive with upper mids. From @twister6 's early review, and PMs between us he never mentioned anything like that at all. I think earlier it was said here that N8ii is so revealing that it pushed the upper mids of Odin into uncomfortable territory. Can someone please confirm this for me? Revealing is fine, upper mids into uncomfortable territory is not (for me).

Yeah reading this has me a bit concerned too. I’ll just live with the DX248-2 forever. 😂

Feb 26, 2022 at 5:04 PM Post #746 of 5,547
Trying to find something portable, one unit, that will match really well and have the ability to stream. I guess I’ll keep trying to find a 300max used.
RS6 alone is great for Odin as well.

Feb 26, 2022 at 5:07 PM Post #747 of 5,547
Let's put it this way. Empire Ears Legend EVO and Odin are in my top 5. Sometimes the upper mids presents glare to me with these 2 IEMs. I usually solve that with tips or source. With the N8ii, the EVO was unlistenable with strong glare in the upper mids. I kept thinking that if this is what @aaf evo hears, then now I understand why he doesn't like EVO. But, I did not have the same problem with Traillii or EXT. But as I mentioned, the N8ii improved the treble of the EXT for me making it more of an all arounder.

Feb 26, 2022 at 5:08 PM Post #748 of 5,547
Let's put it this way. Empire Ears Legend EVO and Odin are in my top 5. Sometimes the upper mids presents glare to me with these 2 IEMs. I usually solve that with tips or source. With the N8ii, the EVO was unlistenable with strong glare in the upper mids. I kept thinking that if this is what @aaf evo hears, then now I understand why he doesn't like EVO. But, I did not have the same problem with Traillii or EXT. But as I mentioned, the N8ii improved the treble of the EXT for me making it more of an all arounder.

I guess most of my IEMs are more upper mid conservative with the exception of the Annihilator and Jewel so I’m sure it’ll be fine.

Feb 26, 2022 at 5:11 PM Post #749 of 5,547
On page 25, I asked Twista6 about the upper mid harshness he said he didn't hear any harshness with the Odins:
I did not listen to Odin with N8ii. I will tomorrow and I will listen to other modes as well.

Edited to note: I think I mentioned Odin when describing what I heard with EVO. Since both have elevated upper mids, I made a leap of logic rather than a direct experience. My bad. I should not have done that.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2022 at 5:12 PM Post #750 of 5,547
Thanks for that. So you're saying it only made the Odin/Evo glarey? Would you say that there is an upper mid emphasis for all IEMs or it's simply a bad pairing with thise specific ones? Traillii also has an upper mid bump, though it is subtle. Is the high end accentuated on all IEMs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back