Cayin N8 TOTL DAP: KORG Nutube, Dual AK4497, 4.4mm phone/line out
Jul 23, 2022 at 4:07 PM Post #3,826 of 3,873

Attachments

• 20200702_220156.jpg
    20200702_220156.jpg
    325.4 KB · Views: 0
Jul 27, 2022 at 10:10 AM Post #3,827 of 3,873
Are there any tubes rolling in your N8? What about N8ii?
The analog circuit of N8 and N8ii is designed around the KORG Nutube 6P1, this is a unique vacuum tube that you can't find any replacement or compatible tubes, so tube rolling is not possible with Nutube based products, even with desktop Nutube amplifiers.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jul 27, 2022 at 11:27 AM Post #3,830 of 3,873
Does the type c to 3.5 work as an interconnect to an amp?

This is not an analog interconnect, this is a digital cable. When you connect this cable to the USB-C port of N8, you'll receive S/PDIF output from the 3.5mm connector, so this is primarily meant for portable DAC/Amp. For more detail, please check out "Coaxial Digital output (embedded in Type-C connector)" in THIS explanation.

If you want to connect N8 to an amplifier, please check "Accessories and Connectivity" in THIS explanation.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jul 28, 2022 at 1:41 AM Post #3,831 of 3,873
This is not an analog interconnect, this is a digital cable. When you connect this cable to the USB-C port of N8, you'll receive S/PDIF output from the 3.5mm connector, so this is primarily meant for portable DAC/Amp. For more detail, please check out "Coaxial Digital output (embedded in Type-C connector)" in THIS explanation.

If you want to connect N8 to an amplifier, please check "Accessories and Connectivity" in THIS explanation.
Oh thank you for a very concise response!

Nov 3, 2022 at 10:18 AM Post #3,832 of 3,873
I hope everyone in this thread is doing well! I need some help. Is there any way to get a copy of an older firmware? Im using the latest one v3.2 (the only one still available at Cayin 's website?) I've been having issues with micro sd library scanning. The behavior is inconsistent:

- 60% of the times library scan crashes and restarts the device during local storage scanning.
- 39% of the times library scan finishes local storage but ignores micro sd files, even though the micro sd was inserted correctly and I am able to see the folders and files in the Folders/TF card option.
- 1% of the times library scan goes through both local and micro sd without issues. After several attempts I was able to get all music scanned, not sure what I did different to get it to work. But now I added more music to the micro sd card and still no luck.

I am using a 1TB sandisk micro sd. But I have tried with 2 other sandisk 1TB cards and a sandisk 400gb with same results. I even tried with a Lexar 128gb and apparently behavior is the same.

I'd really appreciate anything you can share with me. Thanks!

Nov 3, 2022 at 10:21 AM Post #3,833 of 3,873
I hope everyone in this thread is doing well! I need some help. Is there any way to get a copy of an older firmware? Im using the latest one v3.2 (the only one still available at Cayin 's website?) I've been having issues with micro sd library scanning. The behavior is inconsistent:

- 60% of the times library scan crashes and restarts the device during local storage scanning.
- 39% of the times library scan finishes local storage but ignores micro sd files, even though the micro sd was inserted correctly and I am able to see the folders and files in the Folders/TF card option.
- 1% of the times library scan goes through both local and micro sd without issues. After several attempts I was able to get all music scanned, not sure what I did different to get it to work. But now I added more music to the micro sd card and still no luck.

I am using a 1TB sandisk micro sd. But I have tried with 2 other sandisk 1TB cards and a sandisk 400gb with same results. I even tried with a Lexar 128gb and apparently behavior is the same.

I'd really appreciate anything you can share with me. Thanks!
Try to simplify your library like reduce the amount of subfolders. Thats what did it for me. You can downgrade i think but sadly dont have the files to do so.

Edit: also put everything in your sd card. What i did on mine was to put nothing on the internal storage and instead put everything over to sd card.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2022 at 10:41 AM Post #3,834 of 3,873
Try to simplify your library like reduce the amount of subfolders. Thats what did it for me. You can downgrade i think but sadly dont have the files to do so.

Edit: also put everything in your sd card. What i did on mine was to put nothing on the internal storage and instead put everything over to sd card.
The micro sd has only 1 level of folders, but what I haven't done yet is to check for long folder names or special characters. Most of the times the scan doesn't even start scanning the micro sd, so not sure if that will resolve the issue.

But I will definitely try your second tip, which is to delete everything in the local storage. I'll let you know how it goes, thanks!

Nov 3, 2022 at 11:00 AM Post #3,835 of 3,873
The micro sd has only 1 level of folders, but what I haven't done yet is to check for long folder names or special characters. Most of the times the scan doesn't even start scanning the micro sd, so not sure if that will resolve the issue.

But I will definitely try your second tip, which is to delete everything in the local storage. I'll let you know how it goes, thanks!
No problem! Glad to be of help. Had to turn my brain over and over for 2 months before i solved the issue. I swear if it didn't sound as good as it does ive already sold it in day 2 lol. Well anyway hope everthing works out!

Nov 3, 2022 at 11:04 AM Post #3,836 of 3,873
Oh right after loading up songs to you sd card. Retart the device @Ricardo Daza

Nov 3, 2022 at 11:59 AM Post #3,837 of 3,873
No problem! Glad to be of help. Had to turn my brain over and over for 2 months before i solved the issue. I swear if it didn't sound as good as it does ive already sold it in day 2 lol. Well anyway hope everthing works out!
exactly the same feeling on this end!! i love the sound. so unique. I don't want to sell it even if it means to use it with only 200gb.
Oh right after loading up songs to you sd card. Retart the device @Ricardo Daza
tried that already but didn't have any impact on results.

but your initial suggestion on deleting all internal storage music is actually working!!! :ksc75smile: I'm now trying different things to see where it gets lost after adding music to local storage. I started with just a couple Dire Straits albums, and it scanned both local and card! then added Fleetwood Mac and back to the issue!!! I am now trying with adding both bands within a Music folder. I'll update with results later today.

Either way, thanks @NickleCo !! you saved me!

Nov 3, 2022 at 1:45 PM Post #3,838 of 3,873
Ok, so here are my final results.

All attempts were made with a 1TB sandisk micro sd card correctly inserted (always checked that folders and files were visible in the TF Card screen). The card was almost full (only 8gb free)

Test#1 - No music in the local storage - worked fine, sd card was scanned.
Test#2 - Added 8gb of band1 to local storage - worked fine, both local and sd were scanned.
Test#3 - Added another 8gb of band2 to local storage - worked fine, both local and sd were scanned.
Test#4 - Added another 8gb of band3 to local storage - failed. only local was scanned. after the scanning process finished, i went to see if files were visible in the TF card screen, and they were not!! it's like the scanning process somehow disconnected the sd card
Test#5 - Removed band3 and tried again like Test#3 and worked fine.
Test#6 - Added another 8gb of band4 to local storage (band1, band2 and band4 were in local storage) - failed. only local was scanned. after the scanning process finished, i went to see if files were visible in the TF card screen, and they were not!! it's like the scanning process somehow disconnected the sd card

at this point my initial guess was that after around 20gb of local storage it starts to be problematic. Most files were DSD64. I didn't want to waste more time on this, so I gave it one last hail mary shot, and went all in! all 4 bands in local storage and it worked!!! not sure how! I followed the exact same steps for every attempt. Anyway..... I won't be touching the library scan for a very long time! LOL. I'll keep it as it is, it has more than 1TB of music that will bring me joy for years

Thanks @NickleCo for your help!!

Dec 24, 2022 at 5:42 PM Post #3,839 of 3,873

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back