Cayin N8 TOTL DAP: KORG Nutube, Dual AK4497, 4.4mm phone/line out
Aug 19, 2018 at 2:52 AM Post #811 of 3,873
Looking back at my post and Saltyfatboy's post, I'm not sure how they were misinterpreted into saying the N8 is desktop equivalent.

It's clearly stated to be referring only to the soundstage size. Not anything else.

Aug 19, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #812 of 3,873
That will have to wait till we launch our DAP, when reviews and user impressions are readily available. For someone who planned to venture into this mission, my only advice is to start from full size headphones that are DAP-friendly by design: Focal, Ultrasone, Meze, Final, Kennerton, ...

My Sony NW - WM1A does really well with my Shure SRH1540 headphones. My Questyle QP1R does amazingly well with my AKG K812 headphones. Half of the fun of getting a new digital audio player, is mixing and matching with existing headphones to see how they play.

Aug 19, 2018 at 11:47 PM Post #813 of 3,873
Fyi, I gave in and preordered it. Hopefully I will receive it before the end of September. :grin:

How did you preordered it i dont even see it online lol

Aug 20, 2018 at 12:04 AM Post #815 of 3,873
Pre-order promotion at the HK AV Show.

Can you tell me if you tried it with sensitive iems. Do you notice any floor noise or hiss?
I plan to use ee phantom.

Aug 20, 2018 at 12:19 AM Post #816 of 3,873
Yes, Bluetooth and WiFi are manually controlled, you can turn it off when you are not using them, and you should.

Can we use bluetooth as a dac amp feature from phone to n8? Does it support aptx hd or ldac?
Can n8 also be used in usb otg from phone to n8
And last thing can n8 output coax audio?

Aug 20, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #817 of 3,873
Aug 20, 2018 at 10:01 AM Post #818 of 3,873
I see someone is about to sell hes dx200ti? LoL
I may, but that will be to go with DMP-Z1, not the N8 LoL! I love Sony, and the fact that I sold WM1Z for Dx200 to drive my HD800 was very crazy. The Dx200Ti playing Native DSD512 is also another crazy thing. If anything, I will just keep it for a portable that can play DSD512, not even DMP-Z1 can do DSD512

Aug 20, 2018 at 10:00 PM Post #819 of 3,873
Hi guys, I got to try out the N8 at a recent audio show in Malaysia. It sounds heavenly. I left my impressions at the link below.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/kua...av-show-kliav-2018-impressions-thread.886935/

KLIAV-N8.jpg

Aug 21, 2018 at 5:02 AM Post #820 of 3,873
I did not know N8 has dlna support! This now makes deciding between LPGT and N8 much simpler!

Can N8 do DSD upsampling in the fly? This is a feature that Valoq has, and I have gotten addictive to DSD playback on AKM chip.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2018 at 10:25 PM Post #821 of 3,873
Digital Interface of Cayin N8

The circuit designed of digital interface is not as complicated as the headphone output in N8. The DSD/PCM Digital Signal Processing (DSP) is basically executed by our own FPGA instructions. All the processing digital audio bit stream will feed to the two AK4497EQ chipset for further audio processing, and the digital output will branch off from here directly.

N8 offers 3 digital output and one digital input: it is our first DAP equipped with I2S output, it has our signature S/PDIF (Coaxial) through Typce-C socket, and it can function as USB DAC (input) or USB Transport (output) through its Type-C USB interface.

N8 Digital Interface.jpg

I2S Digital output (via mini HDMI)

Since we introduced I2S into our iDAP-6 Digital Transport, we sincerely appreciate the technical advantage of this digital interface, that's why we have implemented this in our newly announced reference digital product CS-100DAC and N8 DAP. I2S connection has embedded the clock signal in the interface, this will reduce the jitter of the Transport + DAC combo significantly. That’s why I2S is commonly acknowledged as the most preferred single-wired digital interface both in terms of digital capability and audio performance.

If you are using a DAC with compatible I2S input, this is definitely the preferred digital interface to connect the N8 with our home audio system.

The down side of I2S digital output is not a well-defined standard as outboard digital interface. There are several implementations of I2S for Digital Transport and DAC, back in the 90s Audio Alchemy wrote the history by using 4pin DIN for outboard I2S (I still kept my beloved Audio Alchemy DDEv3.0 till now), and we have several brands using HDMI or RJ45 as I2S connections right now. There is hardly any formal coordination among different approaches so compatibility is a big issue with I2S implementation.

Among the available options, PS Audio is by far the most influential player in the market. Cayin, being a late comer to I2S, decided to use the “pick a boss” strategy and adopted the PS Audio pin-definition on I2S implementation with HDMI connectors. Unfortunately, the compatibility problem is far more complicate then using the same connectors and adopting the same pin definition, it also involve complicated digital audio processing such as handling of interrupt, mute control etc. While we have tested our I2S implementation with PS Audio DAC to ensure reliable playback of both PCM and DSD files, we cannot guarantee N8 will be compatible with all DAC that claim to support PS Audio "style" I2S, we simply don’t have the resource to test them all. We were told by our iDAP-6 users that our I2S implementation works well with the complete line of Denafrips DACs but no luck when paired with Audio-GD DAC.

Since the standard HDMI connectors are far too big for portable DAP, we adopt mini HDMI connector for I2S implementation with N8. To connect N8 to external DAC such as our CS-100DAC, you need a Mini-HDMI to HDMI cable or a HDMI to Mini-HDMI adapter and then connect to DAC with a standard HDMI cable. These cable or adapters are readily available in the market but we advise you to use a short HDMI cable (1m or below) whenever possible.

I2S miniHDMI.jpg

Coaxial Digital output (embedded in Type-C connector)

Cayin developed a very unique method to implement Coaxial digital output in our DAP back in 2016, when we announce our first Android based DAP i5. We have embedded the S/PDIF bitstream into Type C connector. I understand this proprietary implementation has caused some confusion, so let’s take a look into the methodology.

This is the standard pin-out diagram of Type-C connector.

Type-C pin definition.jpg

The pin A8 and B8 are NOT USED for in USB transmission, so they are not occupied in normal application and left out in normal USB-C cable. Cayin used this pin to transmit S/PDIF signal. This is a direct output from the DSP engine, not a DDC (Digital-to-Digital conversion) output form USB Audio.

To get the S/PDIF out of N8, you need a custom make Type-C cable by wiring the A8 and B8 pin to a coaxial cable. Cayin has bundled two two Type-C to Coaxial adapter cable for different applications. The TypeC to 3.5 short coaxial cable connects N8 to portable DAC/amp with 3.5mm TS mono coaxial input, typical examples are such as Mojo and Hugo2. The TypeC to RCA(F) adapter, when used with a standard RCA S/PDIF coaxial cable, enables you to connect the N8 to a desktop DAC and using the N8 as digital source.

N8 Cable accessories.jpg

Cayin has also developed a CS-30TCR coaxial cable which is equivalent to the TypeC to RCA(F) adapter with a standard RCA S/PDIF coaxial cable. So if you want to minimize the use of adapter in your system, you can go for one of this full-length Type C coaxial cable.

N8 supports DoP and D2P mode over coaxial, so you can listen to your DSD tracks via the coaxial connection if you connect the N8 to a DoP ready DAC with coaxial input. These cables are plug and play, you don't need to do anything about it on the N8 to get it work. It is very convenient and a lot of users claimed to prefer the Coaxial sound signature over USB, so the choice is all yours. Last but not least, please be reminded that off-the-shelf Type-C cable will not compatible with this design and our Type-C coaxial cable will not compatible with standard Type-C devices such as Android mobile phones or tablets.

USB Audio

Othen then the old school coaxial connection, N8 also support both USB Audio Out (USB Transport) and USB Audio In (USB-DAC) from the Type-C USB connector. .

The USB Audio output is, from functional point of view, similar to the coaxial output. I personally prefer the simplicity of coaxial cable and is skeptical with USB Audio implementation because USB cable and connectors buddle power supply alongside the digital bitstream data transmission. A decent USB cable with good internal insulation and high quality connectors will probably solve the problems. The USB Audio option offers noticeably better specification so if you need DSD256 or 32Bit PCM, you'll have to go for the USB Audio option instead of Coaxial.

For USB Audio input, N8 supports Windows (drivers might be required), Linux and iOS system. Theoretically you can connect your iPhone to N8 but you'll need a camera connection kit otherwise you won't be able to extract the digital bitstream out of the mobile phone. N8 only has "limited" support to Android device. Android is a big family and not all mobile phone manufacturers perceive the Android connectivity (esp. OTG implementation) at the same page. So we have encountered some Android devices that is not fully compatible with N8, that's why we didn't list Android as supported device on USB Audio input.

There is one thing we need to warn users in advance: N8 might exhibit delays and/or cannot synchronize with the video signal when function as USB DAC. This will affect the user experience when lip-syn (movie, MTV) or special sound effect (computer game) is an important feature. This is because N8 operates in Asynchronized USB transmission. Back in the 90s and 2000s when digital audio was blooming, IEE1394 Firewire was considered the only acceptable option to connect a computer device to an high end audio, USB was not an acceptable option as those were the time when USB connection was operated in synchronized mode and the extremely high jitter and occasional drop out is a red flag to audiophiles. The Asynchronized USB transmission has solved these inherited problem and gradually replaced the IEEE1394 Firewire connection in high-end audio since 2011, it become the necessary (but not sufficient) criteria to use USB for high quality audio application.

I shall quote the following explanation on asynchronous USB for discussion purpose:
"Asynchronous USB (not to be confused with asynchronous sample rate conversion) uses a clock housed near the DAC (usually in the external DAC’s casing) and allows it to drive the converter directly, thereby not relying on the instable computer’s clock. It is called asynchronous because the DAC’s master clock isn’t synchronized directly to any clocks within the computer. Instead, the DAC is controlled by a (potentially high-precision) fixed-frequency clock. This clock controls the datastream from the computer to a buffer near the DA converter."

So there are two major issues in Asynchronous USB:
  • the DAC’s master clock isn’t synchronized directly to the clock of the digital source (a computer in most of the cases). This controls the datastream from the computer to a buffer near the DA converter. In other word, the audio signal processing is deliberately "disconnected" from the computer clock but the video display remains connected to the computer clock, so the video and audio are not synchronized by nature.
  • we need to create a data buffer in the audio circuit in order to hold the audio datastream from the computer, and the buffer will inevitably cause delays in the audio signal with reference to the non-buffered video signal.
If you must achieve audio and video synchronization, you can do that by adding a delay in the video reproduction. Most Home Theater system will have to handle similar issues and they call it lip-sync, this can be a DSP feature in the Audio-Visual Control Center (Receiver) or a video delay adjustment in the LCD TV or projector, so please check your computer monitor to see if similar feature is in place.

Typical desktop DAC use USB-B (make sure you don’t confuse with USB mini-B or USB micro-B) as input connector, so when you connect N8 to desktop DAC, you need a USB-C to USB-B cable. You can also connect N8 to portable DAC/amp but you need to pay attention to the USB input of the DAC/amp. For example, if you connect N8 to Chord Hugo2, you’ll need a USB-C to micro USB cable. You can buy standard off-the-shelf cable for this application conveniently. If you are going to us N8 as USB DAC for your computers, all you need is a standard USB-C to USB-A cable. In fact, the supplied USB-C in N8 package can be used for charging, data transfer and USB DAC already.

Type C USB Audio.jpg

Bluetooth

N8 supports BTv4.2, SBC in both receive and transmit and apt-X in transmit only. This will enable the N8 to serve as wireless player and wireless DAC, but since apt-X headphones is still significantly behind the performance of AK4497 DAC, and SBC is not a high quality codec for wireless DAC, the Bluetooth audio features are mainly for convenient purpose only. The important part of implementing half duplex Bluetooth is to enable HiByLink, a feature in HiBy Music Player app that allow you to control the N8 DAP via the Bluetooth connection of your mobile phone.

Regular Bluetooth control app allow you to issue commands such as Play/Pause, Previous/Next from mobile to DAP, at this point the connection is simplex: from mobile to DAP. The HiByLink is a proprietary Bluetooth control implementation and is far more sophisticated. Once connected, your music resources on N8 will be shared with the HiByMusic App by allowing the App to read the file headers and metadata of the N8 local storage. The App on your mobile phone will manipulate the content, and control the N8 operation including creating a playlist. It can even offer user operations that are not originally available on the N8 DAP. In short, the HiByLink is a lossless resource sharing platform based on duplex BT communication.

The following table will summarize the capability of various digital audio interfaces:

N8 Digital Interface Specification.png.jpg

Since we are in the subject of digital interface, we might as well cover the file format supported by N8. The following table is self-explained:

N8 Music Fomat.jpg

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Aug 21, 2018 at 11:06 PM Post #822 of 3,873
Wow thats great a lot of features in that new dap a really versatile machine of art.
I am a bit sad for bluetooth with todays ability we could use the Ldac BL that way using N8 as bl dac would of been on maximum potential lvl.

So happy you thought of usb in and out features. That coax via usb c is a surprise for me never seen that before. What if i need to charge the device wille i use coax out same time. Is there only 1 usb for charging and its chared with all other connection types.

Aug 22, 2018 at 12:18 AM Post #823 of 3,873

The circuit designed of digital interface is not as complicated as the headphone output in N8. The DSD/PCM Digital Signal Processing (DSP) is basically executed by our own FPGA instructions. All the processing digital audio bit stream will feed to the two AK4497EQ chipset for further audio processing, and the digital output will branch off from here directly.

N8 offers 3 digital output and one digital input: it is our first DAP equipped with I2S output, it has our signature S/PDIF (Coaxial) through Typce-C socket, and it can function as USB DAC (input) or USB Transport (output) through its Type-C USB interface.

Since we introduced I2S into our iDAP-6 Digital Transport, we sincerely appreciate the technical advantage of this digital interface, that's why we have implemented this in our newly announced reference digital product CS-100DAC and N8 DAP. I2S connection has embedded the clock signal in the interface, this will reduce the jitter of the Transport + DAC combo significantly. That’s why I2S is commonly acknowledged as the most preferred single-wired digital interface both in terms of digital capability and audio performance.

If you are using a DAC with compatible I2S input, this is definitely the preferred digital interface to connect the N8 with our home audio system.

The down side of I2S digital output is not a well-defined standard as outboard digital interface. There are several implementations of I2S for Digital Transport and DAC, back in the 90s Audio Alchemy wrote the history by using 4pin DIN for outboard I2S (I still kept my beloved Audio Alchemy DDEv3.0 till now), and we have several brands using HDMI or RJ45 as I2S connections right now. There is hardly any formal coordination among different approaches so compatibility is a big issue with I2S implementation.

Among the available options, PS Audio is by far the most influential player in the market. Cayin, being a late comer to I2S, decided to use the “pick a boss” strategy and adopted the PS Audio pin-definition on I2S implementation with HDMI connectors. Unfortunately, the compatibility problem is far more complicate then using the same connectors and adopting the same pin definition, it also involve complicated digital audio processing such as handling of interrupt, mute control etc. While we have tested our I2S implementation with PS Audio DAC to ensure reliable playback of both PCM and DSD files, we cannot guarantee N8 will be compatible with all DAC that claim to support PS Audio "style" I2S, we simply don’t have the resource to test them all. We were told by our iDAP-6 users that our I2S implementation works well with the complete line of Denafrips DACs but no luck when paired with Audio-GD DAC.

Since the standard HDMI connectors are far too big for portable DAP, we adopt mini HDMI connector for I2S implementation with N8. To connect N8 to external DAC such as our CS-100DAC, you need a Mini-HDMI to HDMI cable or a HDMI to Mini-HDMI adapter and then connect to DAC with a standard HDMI cable. These cable or adapters are readily available in the market but we advise you to use a short HDMI cable (1m or below) whenever possible.

Cayin developed a very unique method to implement Coaxial digital output in our DAP back in 2016, when we announce our first Android based DAP i5. We have embedded the S/PDIF bitstream into Type C connector. I understand this proprietary implementation has caused some confusion, so let’s take a look into the methodology.

The pin A8 and B8 are NOT USED for in USB transmission, so they are not occupied in normal application and left out in normal USB-C cable. Cayin used this pin to transmit S/PDIF signal. This is a direct output from the DSP engine, not a DDC (Digital-to-Digital conversion) output form USB Audio.

To get the S/PDIF out of N8, you need a custom make Type-C cable by wiring the A8 and B8 pin to a coaxial cable. Cayin has bundled two two Type-C to Coaxial adapter cable for different applications. The TypeC to 3.5 short coaxial cable connects N8 to portable DAC/amp with 3.5mm TS mono coaxial input, typical examples are such as Mojo and Hugo2. The TypeC to RCA(F) adapter, when used with a standard RCA S/PDIF coaxial cable, enables you to connect the N8 to a desktop DAC and using the N8 as digital source.

Cayin has also developed a CS-30TCR coaxial cable which is equivalent to the TypeC to RCA(F) adapter with a standard RCA S/PDIF coaxial cable. So if you want to minimize the use of adapter in your system, you can go for one of this full-length Type C coaxial cable.

N8 supports DoP and D2P mode over coaxial, so you can listen to your DSD tracks via the coaxial connection if you connect the N8 to a DoP ready DAC with coaxial input. These cables are plug and play, you don't need to do anything about it on the N8 to get it work. It is very convenient and a lot of users claimed to prefer the Coaxial sound signature over USB, so the choice is all yours. Last but not least, please be reminded that off-the-shelf Type-C cable will not compatible with this design and our Type-C coaxial cable will not compatible with standard Type-C devices such as Android mobile phones or tablets.

USB Audio

Othen then the old school coaxial connection, N8 also support both USB Audio Out (USB Transport) and USB Audio In (USB-DAC) from the Type-C USB connector. .

The USB Audio output is, from functional point of view, similar to the coaxial output. I personally prefer the simplicity of coaxial cable and is skeptical with USB Audio implementation because USB cable and connectors buddle power supply alongside the digital bitstream data transmission. A decent USB cable with good internal insulation and high quality connectors will probably solve the problems. The USB Audio option offers noticeably better specification so if you need DSD256 or 32Bit PCM, you'll have to go for the USB Audio option instead of Coaxial.

For USB Audio input, N8 supports Windows (drivers might be required), Linux and iOS system. Theoretically you can connect your iPhone to N8 but you'll need a camera connection kit otherwise you won't be able to extract the digital bitstream out of the mobile phone. N8 only has "limited" support to Android device. Android is a big family and not all mobile phone manufacturers perceive the Android connectivity (esp. OTG implementation) at the same page. So we have encountered some Android devices that is not fully compatible with N8, that's why we didn't list Android as supported device on USB Audio input.

There is one thing we need to warn users in advance: N8 might exhibit delays and/or cannot synchronize with the video signal when function as USB DAC. This will affect the user experience when lip-syn (movie, MTV) or special sound effect (computer game) is an important feature. This is because N8 operates in Asynchronized USB transmission. Back in the 90s and 2000s when digital audio was blooming, IEE1394 Firewire was considered the only acceptable option to connect a computer device to an high end audio, USB was not an acceptable option as those were the time when USB connection was operated in synchronized mode and the extremely high jitter and occasional drop out is a red flag to audiophiles. The Asynchronized USB transmission has solved these inherited problem and gradually replaced the IEEE1394 Firewire connection in high-end audio since 2011, it become the necessary (but not sufficient) criteria to use USB for high quality audio application.

I shall quote the following explanation on asynchronous USB for discussion purpose:

• the DAC’s master clock isn’t synchronized directly to the clock of the digital source (a computer in most of the cases). This controls the datastream from the computer to a buffer near the DA converter. In other word, the audio signal processing is deliberately "disconnected" from the computer clock but the video display remains connected to the computer clock, so the video and audio are not synchronized by nature.
  • we need to create a data buffer in the audio circuit in order to hold the audio datastream from the computer, and the buffer will inevitably cause delays in the audio signal with reference to the non-buffered video signal.
If you must achieve audio and video synchronization, you can do that by adding a delay in the video reproduction. Most Home Theater system will have to handle similar issues and they call it lip-sync, this can be a DSP feature in the Audio-Visual Control Center (Receiver) or a video delay adjustment in the LCD TV or projector, so please check your computer monitor to see if similar feature is in place.

Typical desktop DAC use USB-B (make sure you don’t confuse with USB mini-B or USB micro-B) as input connector, so when you connect N8 to desktop DAC, you need a USB-C to USB-B cable. You can also connect N8 to portable DAC/amp but you need to pay attention to the USB input of the DAC/amp. For example, if you connect N8 to Chord Hugo2, you’ll need a USB-C to micro USB cable. You can buy standard off-the-shelf cable for this application conveniently. If you are going to us N8 as USB DAC for your computers, all you need is a standard USB-C to USB-A cable. In fact, the supplied USB-C in N8 package can be used for charging, data transfer and USB DAC already.

Bluetooth

N8 supports BTv4.2, SBC in both receive and transmit and apt-X in transmit only. This will enable the N8 to serve as wireless player and wireless DAC, but since apt-X headphones is still significantly behind the performance of AK4497 DAC, and SBC is not a high quality codec for wireless DAC, the Bluetooth audio features are mainly for convenient purpose only. The important part of implementing half duplex Bluetooth is to enable HiByLink, a feature in HiBy Music Player app that allow you to control the N8 DAP via the Bluetooth connection of your mobile phone.

Regular Bluetooth control app allow you to issue commands such as Play/Pause, Previous/Next from mobile to DAP, at this point the connection is simplex: from mobile to DAP. The HiByLink is a proprietary Bluetooth control implementation and is far more sophisticated. Once connected, your music resources on N8 will be shared with the HiByMusic App by allowing the App to read the file headers and metadata of the N8 local storage. The App on your mobile phone will manipulate the content, and control the N8 operation including creating a playlist. It can even offer user operations that are not originally available on the N8 DAP. In short, the HiByLink is a lossless resource sharing platform based on duplex BT communication.

The following table will summarize the capability of various digital audio interfaces:

Since we are in the subject of digital interface, we might as well cover the file format supported by N8. The following table is self-explained:

Thanks mate WOW how thorough

Please forgive if i ve asked this before , looking at my notes i may have not

Does that 4mm to dual XLR (M) balanced line output adapter allow me to plug in my male xlrs (on my headphones) into the XLR end , and plug the 4mm balanced ito the N8 balanced female?

Or is it as i suspect a full male line , male also on full sized XLR end?

If so , i will need the same thing you have there , but female ends on the full sized XLR end ?

Aug 22, 2018 at 3:57 AM Post #824 of 3,873

USB Audio

Bluetooth

Really looking forward to receiving my unit next month. :smile:

Aug 22, 2018 at 10:23 AM Post #825 of 3,873
Wow thats great a lot of features in that new dap a really versatile machine of art.
I am a bit sad for bluetooth with todays ability we could use the Ldac BL that way using N8 as bl dac would of been on maximum potential lvl.

So happy you thought of usb in and out features. That coax via usb c is a surprise for me never seen that before. What if i need to charge the device wille i use coax out same time. Is there only 1 usb for charging and its chared with all other connection types.

I though digital interface will be a simple chapter because the functional diagram is very simple, I didn't expect it become so long, I hope the content has justified the word count and I did cover all the important questions related to digital interface of N8.

N8 only comes with ONE USB-C connectors, so we have integrated charging + OTG + USB DAC + USB Transport + S/PDIF coaxial into one connectors.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back