Cayin N8 TOTL DAP: KORG Nutube, Dual AK4497, 4.4mm phone/line out
Aug 23, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #841 of 3,873
Looking really interesting.
Good luck for cayin for this new product.

Thanks, please stay tune for more impression and updated, its round the corner already. :beerchug:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Aug 23, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #842 of 3,873
Early on a few people already disliked it's design but some like me don't really care as long as it sounds good.

And it sounds superb :D

I found the unit to look better in real life than photos.

I believe this is one of the "feature" of Cayin DAP, Implementation is the very important role in Cayin product development process, you need to see and touch the real thing, photo simply don't do justice for our players.

Aug 23, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #843 of 3,873
@Andykong , so I take that your FPGA is responsible for All of DSP including NOS as you stated. Is it firmware user upgradable ? PCM processing, will there be user selectable filters and dithering options ?

I enjoy both Oversampling and NOS as I have 2 systems of ES9038Pro and R2R NOS Desktops, so I know what you mean by NOS vs OS pros/cons

Aug 23, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #844 of 3,873
I believe this is one of the "feature" of Cayin DAP, Implementation is the very important role in Cayin product development process, you need to see and touch the real thing, photo simply don't do justice for our players.
That's 100% true. The N5ii looks a little awkward in photos but good god does it look and feel premium in the hand. Y'all have a knack for the details.

Aug 24, 2018 at 1:56 AM Post #846 of 3,873
N8 will ship to international dealer by end of September, so demo units should be available by early October. You can contact our Canada distributor ASONA and they should be able to tell you which shop will have Cayin N8 available for audition.
http://en.cayin.cn/netword/show?c=129&ctype=2&smallid=187&id=13487

ASONA has exhibited at TAVES Consumer Electronics Show last year, so there is a good chance that they'll join TAVES this year as well, worth checking out with them if you'll be at Ontario during Oct. 12 - Oct. 14, 2018

Oh thanks I will definitely check with them :)

I had few more questions if I use spotify and n8 only have aptx bluetooth is that enouf to transfer spotify premium quality to the maximum possible way?

Can we charge the N8 while in usb audio in mode ( from iphone or android to N8 )

What is the life span of the tubes?

I am also woried about floor noise. I have very sensitive iems empire ears phantom. They can pick noise very easily if the source has bad isolation or any other type of noise introductions. How well is N8 in that regard?

Example ibasso dx200 has noises with my iems.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2018 at 2:04 AM Post #847 of 3,873
@Andykong , so I take that your FPGA is responsible for All of DSP including NOS as you stated. Is it firmware user upgradable ? PCM processing, will there be user selectable filters and dithering options ?

I enjoy both Oversampling and NOS as I have 2 systems of ES9038Pro and R2R NOS Desktops, so I know what you mean by NOS vs OS pros/cons

Oh what is nos or oversamplings I mean the N8 is bit perfect no? I never heard of these features yet. And chord has there own fpga to. This means the fpga of cayin is there own coding and engineering like chord?

Sorry but this segment of information is completly unknown for me :) a new territory of physics...

Aug 25, 2018 at 1:28 AM Post #848 of 3,873
Does the investigation of MQA also include the N5ii ?

Sorry, can't disclose any further, the MQA project is platform based, N8 and N5ii use two different platforms (MCU), they will be handles as independent projects, seeking approval independently, I can't comment at platform or product level at this stage.

Aug 25, 2018 at 1:31 AM Post #849 of 3,873
Sorry, can't disclose any further, the MQA project is platform based, N8 and N5ii use two different platforms (MCU), they will be handles as independent projects, seeking approval independently, I can't comment at platform or product level at this stage.

Can we charge the cayin N8 while in usb in mode when in otg from cellphone?

I am also woried about hiss any idea how good is it with iem specialy empire ears?

Aug 25, 2018 at 2:45 AM Post #850 of 3,873
The more I read and compare various dap the more I realise how good is N8. I'm always attracted to unique daps, I don't see any other daps out there offering such a unique dap.
If N8 can up the internal storage to 256 GB, it is a win.

Aug 25, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #851 of 3,873

Hi Andy,
I will be attending the Taxes show in Toronto this year ( first time) and will be making a mad dash to the Cayin booth.
Will there be an option to buy product at the show or is it just a " show" and no sales.

Thanks

Aug 25, 2018 at 5:13 PM Post #853 of 3,873
The more I read and compare various dap the more I realise how good is N8. I'm always attracted to unique daps, I don't see any other daps out there offering such a unique dap.
If N8 can up the internal storage to 256 GB, it is a win.
I’m pretty sure I remember a comment from a way back about not being able to guarantee the stock of 256gb drives down the line so they went with 128 instead... although I could be misremembering

Aug 26, 2018 at 3:24 PM Post #854 of 3,873
Can i use my home system (Hegel H 360 & PC ) as the drive/transport and the N8 as the power source ? Using its dac and amp , and my CIEMs

i would like to have access to my library which is much larger than the DAP can hold

I am such an ADDH listener at home , that i too often find myself wanting to hear an LP that i have not copied onto the SD card yet , so i have to stop , and put card in PC then copy over etc

i hope i have explained this so it makes sense

Cheers

Aug 27, 2018 at 3:26 AM Post #855 of 3,873

One last comment on this subject: N8 will provide choice of digital filters, they are basically incurred from AK4497, not part of the DSP coding developed by Cayin.

No dithering options will be available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back