Cayin N8 TOTL DAP: KORG Nutube, Dual AK4497, 4.4mm phone/line out
Dec 6, 2018 at 8:49 PM Post #1,261 of 3,873
Hi guys,

Could anyone please verify my main 4 concerns as follows (I am rookies in this tube games):

1/ How well does this Cayin N8 pair with LCDi4 (compare with DX200 with bakoon HPA-01M) and also with Audio64 u18t (is there any noise/hiss if pair with N8)? These are only 2 headphones I have now, and I would like to find good source to feed them. (sorry I do not have any demo machine in town at this moment).

2/ What is the age of Korg Tube (take example I keep listening music 2 hours per day)? - Will it be easy to replace in The future - do we need to ship it back to China for fixing it?

3/ My ibasso DX200 now after using for 1 year with AMP1 - it last maybe 4.5 hours in Mango and 6.5 hours in android => so disappointed, could I make the strong hope that with mix type of music listening, can the Cayin N8 last 8.5 hours (+ and - 0.5 hours)? Also assume that what is the way to replace the battery? Is it the same type of battery with other music player? After done with warranty can we just open and replace it easily or have to send back to China due to complicated structure design? As I want that this is the end game for me, and Cayin N8 is the huge investment for me, I want to keep it last long for me (like the way I kept calyx M and just paid extra USD 50.00 to upgrade the battery to new 9800mah by my engineering lab a month ago)

4/ Is there any issue if we plug in powerbank battery/ charging at home with cayin N8 while listening? Get hot? Noise/hiss? worsening the tube age?

5/ This question I thought I may have read somewhere but please allow me to ask again, how long will cayin N8 last on stand by mode? Bluetooth off, wifi off? If stand by mode with Korg-tube is on (without plug in any headphone) will it become warm little bit? drop battery faster?

Thanks for your time guys.

Dec 6, 2018 at 9:33 PM Post #1,262 of 3,873
Hi guys,

Could anyone please verify my main 4 concerns as follows (I am rookies in this tube games):

1/ How well does this Cayin N8 pair with LCDi4 (compare with DX200 with bakoon HPA-01M) and also with Audio64 u18t (is there any noise/hiss if pair with N8)? These are only 2 headphones I have now, and I would like to find good source to feed them. (sorry I do not have any demo machine in town at this moment).

2/ What is the age of Korg Tube (take example I keep listening music 2 hours per day)? - Will it be easy to replace in The future - do we need to ship it back to China for fixing it?

3/ My ibasso DX200 now after using for 1 year with AMP1 - it last maybe 4.5 hours in Mango and 6.5 hours in android => so disappointed, could I make the strong hope that with mix type of music listening, can the Cayin N8 last 8.5 hours (+ and - 0.5 hours)? Also assume that what is the way to replace the battery? Is it the same type of battery with other music player? After done with warranty can we just open and replace it easily or have to send back to China due to complicated structure design? As I want that this is the end game for me, and Cayin N8 is the huge investment for me, I want to keep it last long for me (like the way I kept calyx M and just paid extra USD 50.00 to upgrade the battery to new 9800mah by my engineering lab a month ago)

4/ Is there any issue if we plug in powerbank battery/ charging at home with cayin N8 while listening? Get hot? Noise/hiss? worsening the tube age?

5/ This question I thought I may have read somewhere but please allow me to ask again, how long will cayin N8 last on stand by mode? Bluetooth off, wifi off? If stand by mode with Korg-tube is on (without plug in any headphone) will it become warm little bit? drop battery faster?

Please read this review. The reviewer is using LCDi4 and it may answers most of your questions.
https://headfonics.com/2018/12/cayin-n8-review/

About the battery, if you use it 8 hours per day, it will last around 10 years (from Andy's post).

There is also another review by Alex Twister in case if you are interested.
https://twister6.com/2018/11/09/cayin-n8-dap/

I have LCDi4 and DX200/DX200Ti/Sony 1Z. I may let go my DX200 to make a room for Cayin N8 :)

Dec 7, 2018 at 2:05 AM Post #1,263 of 3,873
Hi guys,

2. KORG Nutube is rated at 30,000 hours of operation, if you use N8 Tube mode 2 hours per day, you don't need to worry about the expected life time of the Nutube. 15,0000 days is roughly equal to 41 years.

3. So far the user reported battery duration is quite close to what we have published, 9 hours for balanced and 8 hours for SE tube is realistic for normal mode. If you have the experience to change the battery of CalyxM to a different lithium battery, then you should aware that battery replacement is not really a big deal. You might not be able to find a 7000mAH Lithium battery to replace the one installed in N8, but finding a smaller battery is actually quite straight forward because N8 use standard 3.7V USB chargeable Lithium battery. So instead of piggy back a huge battery like what you did to your Calyx M, you can, theoretically, install a smaller, say 5000mAH battery to fit into the N8. You get shorter duration but you can retain the all-in-one design for another 2-3 years.

We had discussed the battery issued a few page back, so maybe you can find out more information if you check out previous post in page 80.

4. Technically, yes. You can use N8 while you are charging, However this will increase the current flow inside the DAP, (charging and discharging at the same time) and the player will operate in higher temperature (more so with Hi-Res or DSD content), If you are using very sensitive IEMs, the increase current flow might introduce small amount bo background noise. It should still well within the operation temperature of the components but we don't recommend that. If you must, use a regular power bank instead of a Quick Charge power bank, Charging at QC will increase the temperature.

5. The KORG new tube will be powered off as soon as you unplug your headphone or switch to another output (3.5mm SS, 4.4mm, LO, or digital out). You'll need to go through the 5 sec warm up time again even when you change from Tube to SS and then switch it back in 3.5mm Headphone output. This is a necessarily procedure to extend the battery duration. I don't have the standby time information at hand, will find out if we have done similar test and report back to the forum later.

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Dec 7, 2018 at 3:49 AM Post #1,264 of 3,873
Hi guys,

Which lab did change the battery of your Calyx M? Sounds good, if that’s such an easy and not expensive possibility.

Dec 7, 2018 at 4:08 AM Post #1,265 of 3,873
Which lab did change the battery of your Calyx M? Sounds good, if that’s such an easy and not expensive possibility.

Coz I am studying engineering so I just need to order the battery (find the one that match dimension of Calyx M) (In my case I had to order for bigger capacity and match the voltage) then just solder it to the mainboard. It took around 1-2 month to order from China according to the shop I ordered.

Dec 7, 2018 at 4:17 AM Post #1,266 of 3,873
2. KORG Nutube is rated at 30,000 hours of operation, if you use N8 Tube mode 2 hours per day, you don't need to worry about the expected life time of the Nutube. 15,0000 days is roughly equal to 41 years.

3. So far the user reported battery duration is quite close to what we have published, 9 hours for balanced and 8 hours for SE tube is realistic for normal mode. If you have the experience to change the battery of CalyxM to a different lithium battery, then you should aware that battery replacement is not really a big deal. You might not be able to find a 7000mAH Lithium battery to replace the one installed in N8, but finding a smaller battery is actually quite straight forward because N8 use standard 3.7V USB chargeable Lithium battery. So instead of piggy back a huge battery like what you did to your Calyx M, you can, theoretically, install a smaller, say 5000mAH battery to fit into the N8. You get shorter duration but you can retain the all-in-one design for another 2-3 years.

We had discussed the battery issued a few page back, so maybe you can find out more information if you check out previous post in page 80.

4. Technically, yes. You can use N8 while you are charging, However this will increase the current flow inside the DAP, (charging and discharging at the same time) and the player will operate in higher temperature (more so with Hi-Res or DSD content), If you are using very sensitive IEMs, the increase current flow might introduce small amount bo background noise. It should still well within the operation temperature of the components but we don't recommend that. If you must, use a regular power bank instead of a Quick Charge power bank, Charging at QC will increase the temperature.

5. The KORG new tube will be powered off as soon as you unplug your headphone or switch to another output (3.5mm SS, 4.4mm, LO, or digital out). You'll need to go through the 5 sec warm up time again even when you change from Tube to SS and then switch it back in 3.5mm Headphone output. This is a necessarily procedure to extend the battery duration. I don't have the standby time information at hand, will find out if we have done similar test and report back to the forum later.

Hi Andy,

Much appreciate for your kind information.

Here is my little ambitious question, will Cayin consider any program in the future to let the owner's N8 free upgrade or saving-cost trade in old N8 to upgrade to N8 mark ii (maybe)?

Dec 8, 2018 at 9:16 PM Post #1,267 of 3,873
Calyx M

My favorite DAP in terms of sound ever. No balanced no EQ, slow, small album art on a large screen, heavy...lots of things but sound is awesome.
If N8 sounds better than that in SE I will burn my balanced cables in a big fire and dance around the flames naked screaming awful awful things
Now that you have both, the Calyx M and the Cayin N8, which one the best sound quality? I ask you because I have the Calyx M and for me there is no other player like it

Dec 8, 2018 at 9:38 PM Post #1,269 of 3,873
If the issues with Calyx like battery life and lack of EQ are cool with you....stay . where. you. are
I enjoy Calyx M, is the only player that is portraying the music in a very addictive way, and sound bigger than life. I also have Ibasso DX200, Cowon Plenue P1, and had Fiio X7 Mark II (Sold), Fiio X5 Mark III (Sold) Fiio X5 first gen (Sold), Shanling M5 (sold), and none of them portray the music in such an addictive way. The only thing that I am afraid is for the Calyx M to die on me, and since is and old player I do not know if I can buy another one, that is the reason why I an looking at Cayin N8. Can you describe the diferrences in sound between the two. Thank you

Dec 8, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #1,270 of 3,873
I enjoy Calyx M, is the only player that is portraying the music in a very addictive way, and sound bigger than life. I also have Ibasso DX200, Cowon Plenue P1, and had Fiio X7 Mark II (Sold), Fiio X5 Mark III (Sold) Fiio X5 first gen (Sold), Shanling M5 (sold), and none of them portray the music in such an addictive way. The only thing that I am afraid is for the Calyx M to die on me, and since is and old player I do not know if I can buy another one, that is the reason why I an looking at Cayin N8. Can you describe the diferrences in sound between the two. Thank you

There are NO differences.

You are in a great position.
Keep Calyx
When it dies the N8 will be more affordable.
You are in the drivers seat. No pressure. Enjoy the Calyx

Dec 8, 2018 at 9:57 PM Post #1,271 of 3,873
Hi guys,

Can you please tell me where you ordered the battery for the Calyx M, a link maybe. I am interested in changing the battery. Thank you! I also am interested in Cayin N8 as a possible upgrade like you

Dec 8, 2018 at 10:00 PM Post #1,272 of 3,873
There are NO differences.

You are in a great position.
Keep Calyx
When it dies the N8 will be more affordable.
You are in the drivers seat. No pressure. Enjoy the Calyx
Thank you for the reply. Keep up the good work. I enjoy your videos on youtube, I bought the BGVP DM6 based on your opinion, I will receive the headphones next week. I also have the Sony EX1000 that you love

Dec 10, 2018 at 1:41 AM Post #1,273 of 3,873
20181210_143342.jpg
Listening on my 3 hr to and fro work. Im standing in the train using the N8 and Fostex without the provided case cause the case feels nice but the N8 can easily fly out while holding it. Actualy my N8 flew out twice, once standing in the train the other time walking in a mall. When it happened in the train the N8 flew out of the case and landed 3 feet from me onto the floor. Lucky me its working perfectly.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #1,274 of 3,873
Listening on my 3 hr to and fro work. Im standing in the train using the N8 and Fostex without the provided case cause the case feels nice but the N8 can easily fly out while holding it. Actualy my N8 flew out twice, once standing in the train the other time walking in a mall. When it happened in the train the N8 flew out of the case and landed 3 feet from me onto the floor. Lucky me its working perfectly.
Sorry for my question. Does it dent your N8?
I dropped my 1z 3 times and it has small dents. First dent was hard to accept lol. Dignis case is useless.

Dec 10, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #1,275 of 3,873
Sorry for my question. Does it dent your N8?
I dropped my 1z 3 times and it has small dents. First dent was hard to accept lol. Dignis case is useless.
I never used a case for any of my daps or amps ever, so I didnt think it will slide out so easily. On the sidewalks the N8 sort of landed flat on its back and slide a few feet. No dents. When it fell in the train it landed on the left top corner no dent but a chip off the glass screen. Lucky its working perfectly and aint using the case. Also been using the Tube amp 3 hours a day on the go, alot of the time the N8 in my pants pocket. No issues just a little warm when in pocket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back