Cayin N8 TOTL DAP: KORG Nutube, Dual AK4497, 4.4mm phone/line out
Aug 6, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #3,466 of 3,873
Aug 6, 2020 at 1:24 PM Post #3,468 of 3,873
Awesome. I've been without mine for a while, finally got it back, really is a stellar performing DAP.

I took delivery of a Hugo 2 the other day, bought it out of curiosity to compare with N8 and will probably reside connected to my PC. Pretty good player for the money and great sound (IMO) but for me N8 still edges it out. N8 seems to pull off all the finer details better. Loving life with it!

Aug 6, 2020 at 2:29 PM Post #3,470 of 3,873
What do you mean no scanning needed? Do you mean you only play out of the folder? On mine it still has to scan (I also use down level code) if you want the full album view. Tks.
I dont press scan , I just transfer music and play.

Aug 7, 2020 at 3:42 AM Post #3,473 of 3,873
I don't remember having issue with 1TB SanDisk Extreme SD card. Scans and plays fine. I didn't know Samsung released 1TB SD. Haven't seen one.

Got it fully loaded and playing just fine. 👌

Aug 8, 2020 at 12:10 AM Post #3,474 of 3,873
Maybe a weird request but...I’m probably going to buy (maybe even preorder) the N3Pro. It appears to use the same screen and OS as the N8. I’m kind of particular about UI and I’m wondering if someone would mind doing the following:
Could you upload a video navigating from boot up into both the regular “Artist” selection and using the folder browser by Artist...then drill down into an album, show how many of the albums tracks it displays, then start to play that album? Show it going to the now playing screen and what the easiest way to see the full album track list is from there. My ideal is to be able to quickly see, while in the middle of playing an album, the tracks that have come before and are coming after the currently playing song. If you would do this a few times kind of browsing around by an artist, looking at the albums you have for the artist, starting to play one, and showing how you then can then most easily go back to the artists albums and start playing a different one. Hopefully that makes sense, lol.

Aug 8, 2020 at 8:29 AM Post #3,475 of 3,873
@rbf1138

9NcA2ZMm.jpg

Home screen on startup

1Vq8dRwm.jpg

Artist folder (can do this with artist/album/song/genre/playlist/favourites)

OokWg4Bm.jpg

Albums. (only have 1 MGMT album)

IZRI3gmm.jpg

Track listing

LBzIVzpm.jpg

Currently playing. (selected with the big shiny triangle button)

A5DvDnBm.jpg

Track detail. (swipe right)

exVmpvnm.jpg

Lyrics (swipe left)

qmd2FQkm.jpg

All of your shuffle/repeat modes, album track listing, add to favourites, add to playlist, delete track. (you get this when you click the 3 dots top right)

To go back to artist search just tap the back button in any screen, so from track it goes back to album, album list, artist.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2020 at 11:38 PM Post #3,477 of 3,873
Comparing Brass Black to Stainless Steel version

We shall provide a brief comparison between the original N8 and N8 Brass Black as follows:

Heat Management

To dissipate the heat generated by the audio circuit effectively, we have attaching Panasonic PGS (Pyrolytic Graphic Sheet) to components that generated a lot of heat and direct the heat energy to the Stainless steel body. In other word, the chassis works as a heatsink and lower the operation temperature of N8.

Since brass is a much better thermal conductor then stainless steel, so when we apply the same heat management technique to the Brass Black N8, the heat energy will dissipate more effectively. It will reach stable operation temperature more quickly, and the surface temperature of N8 Brass Black is approximately 2℃ lower than the standard stainless steel version

Weight

The Brass Black version is about 5g heavier than the stainless steel version, user probably won’t notice the different unless they compare them carefully.

Sound Signature

Both Stainless Steel and Brass Black version employ exactly the same circuit design and components, the only different are chassis material and coating technique. Standard version of N8 is 304 stainless steel and it contains small amount of chromium and nickel. It is an austenite steel and is slightly responsive to magnetic fields. Brass, on the other hand, is non-magnetic but it possesses relatively good electrical conductivity when compare to Stainless steel. These physical characteristics will introduce minor different in audio performance because stainless steel chassis will offer better anti-interference (especially to high frequency) while brass chassis will improve the efficiency of the grounding system due to its edge in conductivity. As manufacturer, we shall leave the final listening impression to users. The different is subtle, it is not an “A is better than B” scenario and personal preference will pay a major role.

Dignis Protective Case

When we provide a set of dummy N8 chassis to Dignis during the early stage of their development project, we have reminded them about the need to protect the two control dials from accidental operation because we received a lot of user feedbacks on this regard. Dignis takes users suggestions seriously and spend 3 months to develop the N8 protective case. They have custom make a set of three metal guards and attached them with high quality adhesive tape strategically on the right side panel of N8. The protective case is semi-closure design with the control dials all wrapped up, leaving opening on both side for their designated operation. We have tested the protective case thoroughly and are happy to report that the Dignis solution is “almost” bullet proof.

We received the protective case sample just before CanJam New York. The case is carefully hand crafted and fit like a glove to the N8. Every corner is tailor-cut to perfect fit, and pierced metal plates were installed at the back of the case to enhance ventilation and deliver a very eye-catching 3D glitch-effect. We like it so much that we immediately place an order with Dignis and adopted this projective case as our standard accessories for Brass Black version. According to Dignis, the protective case will be available at their website by end of March. It will retail at US$199 and will be available through Cayin’s dealer network.

Price and Availability

In order to maintain consistency on the Telfon spray finishing and fulfilling the MoQ requirement, we shall produce the N8 Brass Black in one lot only. In other word, N8 Brass Black will be a limited edition and we have allocated 300 units for International market. Since the N8 Brass Black takes longer to produce (extra surface treatment and coating process) and has a lower yield-rate, we have to adjust the retail price accordingly. The US suggested retail price is $3,699 (with Dignis case bundled) and will be available by early April 2019. The N8 Brass Black will debut at CanJam Singapore (30-31 March 2019). Please stay tune for user impressions from the CanJam event, or contact your Cayin dealer for availability and local retail price.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2020 at 4:35 AM Post #3,478 of 3,873
Comparing Brass Black to Stainless Steel version

We shall provide a brief comparison between the original N8 and N8 Brass Black as follows:

Heat Management

To dissipate the heat generated by the audio circuit effectively, we have attaching Panasonic PGS (Pyrolytic Graphic Sheet) to components that generated a lot of heat and direct the heat energy to the Stainless steel body. In other word, the chassis works as a heatsink and lower the operation temperature of N8.

Since brass is a much better thermal conductor then stainless steel, so when we apply the same heat management technique to the Brass Black N8, the heat energy will dissipate more effectively. It will reach stable operation temperature more quickly, and the surface temperature of N8 Brass Black is approximately 2℃ lower than the standard stainless steel version

Weight

The Brass Black version is about 5g heavier than the stainless steel version, user probably won’t notice the different unless they compare them carefully.

Sound Signature

Both Stainless Steel and Brass Black version employ exactly the same circuit design and components, the only different are chassis material and coating technique. Standard version of N8 is 304 stainless steel and it contains small amount of chromium and nickel. It is an austenite steel and is slightly responsive to magnetic fields. Brass, on the other hand, is non-magnetic but it possesses relatively good electrical conductivity when compare to Stainless steel. These physical characteristics will introduce minor different in audio performance because stainless steel chassis will offer better anti-interference (especially to high frequency) while brass chassis will improve the efficiency of the grounding system due to its edge in conductivity. As manufacturer, we shall leave the final listening impression to users. The different is subtle, it is not an “A is better than B” scenario and personal preference will pay a major role.

Dignis Protective Case

When we provide a set of dummy N8 chassis to Dignis during the early stage of their development project, we have reminded them about the need to protect the two control dials from accidental operation because we received a lot of user feedbacks on this regard. Dignis takes users suggestions seriously and spend 3 months to develop the N8 protective case. They have custom make a set of three metal guards and attached them with high quality adhesive tape strategically on the right side panel of N8. The protective case is semi-closure design with the control dials all wrapped up, leaving opening on both side for their designated operation. We have tested the protective case thoroughly and are happy to report that the Dignis solution is “almost” bullet proof.

We received the protective case sample just before CanJam New York. The case is carefully hand crafted and fit like a glove to the N8. Every corner is tailor-cut to perfect fit, and pierced metal plates were installed at the back of the case to enhance ventilation and deliver a very eye-catching 3D glitch-effect. We like it so much that we immediately place an order with Dignis and adopted this projective case as our standard accessories for Brass Black version. According to Dignis, the protective case will be available at their website by end of March. It will retail at US$199 and will be available through Cayin’s dealer network.

Price and Availability

In order to maintain consistency on the Telfon spray finishing and fulfilling the MoQ requirement, we shall produce the N8 Brass Black in one lot only. In other word, N8 Brass Black will be a limited edition and we have allocated 300 units for International market. Since the N8 Brass Black takes longer to produce (extra surface treatment and coating process) and has a lower yield-rate, we have to adjust the retail price accordingly. The US suggested retail price is $3,699 (with Dignis case bundled) and will be available by early April 2019. The N8 Brass Black will debut at CanJam Singapore (30-31 March 2019). Please stay tune for user impressions from the CanJam event, or contact your Cayin dealer for availability and local retail price.
[/QUOTE]
Yes , but last month Cayin put out a third N8 upgrade. Think limited to 100 or so units.

Aug 13, 2020 at 8:37 AM Post #3,479 of 3,873

Users who are viewing this thread

Back