Cayin N8 TOTL DAP: KORG Nutube, Dual AK4497, 4.4mm phone/line out
Oct 6, 2019 at 6:05 AM Post #2,656 of 3,873
Listening to the wonderful Agnieszka Swita, her album 'Sleepless', not widely available but I found my new CD on www.progrock.co.uk at approx £11 delivered. Sounds fantastic on my N8 Brass Black + Utopias + OIDIO Mongrel Series Litz Copper balanced 75cms length cable (just received this new cable). Why only 75cms? The leather manbag/purse only requires 75cms of cable.

Agnieszka who? That's what I said, she's Polish, as a fan of Karnataka I was browsing their website and read that the founder, Ian Jones, was intending to reform Karnataka with Agnieszka Swita as singer. I read that she met Clive Nolan's in 2005, formed a band called Caamora with Clive, Agnieszka appeared in the Clive Nolan musicals, 'She, the Rock Opera' and 'Alchemy the Musical'. Don't we all sometimes stumble across a new artist or band in the most convoluted ways? Clive Nolan is a well known (to Prog Rock fans) musician and is the joint founder of Arena and plays keyboards in Pendragon.

http://agnieszkaswita.com/about-me/

My N8 BB is reproducing her lovely voice brilliantly, listen out for a bar or two of Gladiator music in the track 9 'In Her Arms' and I think the drumming is brilliant throughout (Dave Mackintosh from power metal band Dragon Force).

Oct 6, 2019 at 7:50 AM Post #2,657 of 3,873
Listening to the wonderful Agnieszka Swita, her album 'Sleepless', not widely available but I found my new CD on www.progrock.co.uk at approx £11 delivered. Sounds fantastic on my N8 Brass Black + Utopias + OIDIO Mongrel Series Litz Copper balanced 75cms length cable (just received this new cable). Why only 75cms? The leather manbag/purse only requires 75cms of cable.

Agnieszka who? That's what I said, she's Polish, as a fan of Karnataka I was browsing their website and read that the founder, Ian Jones, was intending to reform Karnataka with Agnieszka Swita as singer. I read that she met Clive Nolan's in 2005, formed a band called Caamora with Clive, Agnieszka appeared in the Clive Nolan musicals, 'She, the Rock Opera' and 'Alchemy the Musical'. Don't we all sometimes stumble across a new artist or band in the most convoluted ways? Clive Nolan is a well known (to Prog Rock fans) musician and is the joint founder of Arena and plays keyboards in Pendragon.

http://agnieszkaswita.com/about-me/

My N8 BB is reproducing her lovely voice brilliantly, listen out for a bar or two of Gladiator music in the track 9 'In Her Arms' and I think the drumming is brilliant throughout (Dave Mackintosh from power metal band Dragon Force).
What are your impressions of the OIDIO cable?.. Also do you feel a standalone amp will drive the utopias better than the n8?.

Oct 6, 2019 at 8:03 AM Post #2,658 of 3,873
1. When I've put a few more hours on the OIDIO cable I'll do a poor man's review (my 'reviews' aren't the elegant versions I read sometimes).

2. I'll ignore the silly second question, which standalone amp and there's no point going down this road as my N8 is totally portable, my Hugo 2 ain't. What I can tell ya is that I've been listening to my N8 all morning in different areas of my house and this flexibility only comes with a DAP.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2019 at 12:31 AM Post #2,659 of 3,873
1. When I've put a few more hours on the OIDIO cable I'll do a poor man's review (my 'reviews' aren't the elegant versions I read sometimes).

2. I'll ignore the silly second question, which standalone amp and there's no point going down this road as my N8 is totally portable, my Hugo 2 ain't. What I can tell ya is that I've been listening to my N8 all morning in different areas of my house and this flexibility only comes with a DAP.
I agree, that is the key difference with the N8 vs Hugo 2. The N8 is actually portable, the N8 is not.

Oct 7, 2019 at 12:33 AM Post #2,660 of 3,873
I agree, that is the key difference with the N8 vs Hugo 2. The N8 is actually portable, the N8 is not.
FB_IMG_1568658390937.jpg

Oct 8, 2019 at 3:14 AM Post #2,662 of 3,873
I never find this in reviews.

1. If selecting genre, does it go to artists and then albums and then songs?
2. If selecting artist, is it based on album artist or artist?

That is disappointing. It must be a Chinese thing, because that is what my Questyles do and I hate it. I only use them through folders, but part of wanting another DAP is for better sorting on the UI.

Not sure if we can implement the change that fit your preference, but we are more then willing to discuss this in detail. Maybe we can learn something new here and implement this in future problem if the suggestion makes perfect sense but is not feasible in current product.

So let's say we are limited to two levels of sorting, what is the preferred sorting sequence after selecting a music genre?
(1) Genre -> Artist -> Song
(2) Genre -> Album -> Song

Everyone can contribute to this discussion.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Oct 8, 2019 at 8:07 AM Post #2,663 of 3,873
Not sure if we can implement the change that fit your preference, but we are more then willing to discuss this in detail. Maybe we can learn something new here and implement this in future problem if the suggestion makes perfect sense but is not feasible in current product.

So let's say we are limited to two levels of sorting, what is the preferred sorting sequence after selecting a music genre?

Either one would work for me. I just don't like to select genre and then have a 1,000 songs pop up.

Oct 8, 2019 at 11:05 AM Post #2,664 of 3,873

Just to jump in here,i and a few others have mentioned 2 things we would love to see added to the features

1.The ability to search for a song/artist etc by name, since the library is so huge on most person devices

2. An add to playing now feature, especially nice for A.D.D. music listeners like myself, when listening to one song,i am reminded of others that fit the mood, in other folders, yes the playlist is a great feature, the add to playing now would be the cherry on top

Cheers

Oct 8, 2019 at 12:18 PM Post #2,665 of 3,873

Hi!!

If you are limited and can’t do Genre>Artist>Album>Song

Then for me it’s fine Genre>Album>Song

By the way...
It is possible to play All albums from 1 Artist with 1 play (button play all in Artist or genre) without create a playlist with all the albums?

Maybe it would be a nice Add in a future firmware

Like i said, maybe the UI is not perfect and need some extra work, but N8 is an awesome sounding device, one of the very best IMO

Oct 9, 2019 at 2:23 PM Post #2,666 of 3,873

My N8 goes Genre-Song and skips going album in between. Is thst because I am on code level 2.3?
I would prefer Genre then Album, but not a deal breaker for me either way. Tks.

Oct 10, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #2,667 of 3,873
i was wondering if the n8 has the low battery protection as i accidentally zero the battery by letting the player on

Oct 20, 2019 at 2:30 AM Post #2,668 of 3,873

Looking for folks who own both the Hugo 2 and the Cayin N8. Would you mind sharing your views on a comparison, soundwise? I did read the few ones scattered across this thread. Hope for a bit more. Thanks in advance!

Oct 20, 2019 at 2:35 AM Post #2,669 of 3,873
Looking for folks who own both the Hugo 2 and the Cayin N8. Would you mind sharing your views on a comparison, soundwise? I did read the few ones scattered across this thread. Hope for a bit more. Thanks in advance!
I had the : mojo , hugo , hugo 2. All these chords are great with iems. The N8 is actually better sounding and will push headphones better.

Oct 20, 2019 at 9:55 PM Post #2,670 of 3,873
I had the : mojo , hugo , hugo 2. All these chords are great with iems. The N8 is actually better sounding and will push headphones better.

I wonder if you have ab tested 1z and n8.

Though when I ab 1z and hugo2 I preferred 1z by a high margin.

So far didnt have any opportunity yet to audition n8 or lpgt . But I use 99.99% my 1z as bluetooth dac from s9 to stream spotify . Yep spotify )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back