Cayin N8 TOTL DAP: KORG Nutube, Dual AK4497, 4.4mm phone/line out
Jun 13, 2019 at 1:19 PM Post #1,996 of 3,873
Well i was sent a new N8 from dealer

It`s on FW 2.0, maybe its all in my head, but my HD800s did not sound this epic on 2.3

i know FW is not supposed to influence the sound, so i 've heard

My questions are

1. i`m using balanced for my HD800s, and in the menu i discovered -LO-Balanced mode(Maybe that's why the cans sound so epic,i never used that b4).So much power

My concern is,i noticed in that mode there is no control over volume what so ever,it seems preset by that option(Man will you be surprised if you have the system set to continue from a song u left off on..BOOM!!)

Is this normal,is my N8 ok? Is there a way i can control volume from this setting?

Changing anything like gain as well has no effect while in this mode

2. Advice on a quick charger was given before, from Andy, but just on brands,i will take his advice and get an aukey

i do not want to damage my N8 or the battery so i ask you, can i get a quick charger with too much wattage?

i have found QC chargers from 18 watts to 60 watts, but i think the 60 watts may be divided between the 4 ports, where the 18 watt is a single port

i figure more watts = a faster charge? Am i correct?

Can i overdo the wattage on a QC and damage my N8 or battery?

Is the wattage the N8 limited to Ie 18 Watts, but does it have a safety that will only allow the Ie 18 watts, no matter how many watts my QC will be capable of?

Cheers

LO is a fixed line out

*** i am daft

Please forget that daft comment

i like it tho,is it ok to use it? i dont get that power from any other setting..odd

Jun 13, 2019 at 11:54 PM Post #2,000 of 3,873
NEW FW is out !

Jun 14, 2019 at 12:09 AM Post #2,002 of 3,873
Jun 14, 2019 at 12:20 AM Post #2,004 of 3,873
Why no upgrade? You never tried the new or found the original one better?
I like the sound so why change. I only play music from folders, so had no issues.

Jun 14, 2019 at 12:26 AM Post #2,006 of 3,873
What if it sounds better with the new firmware? You might be missing out on great stuff..but then again people spend thousands hoping they get something better but in reality all they got was another bill.
True, Ill go by a few shops next week and demo the N8s with updated FW. Thanks for that question.

Jun 14, 2019 at 9:57 AM Post #2,007 of 3,873
Announcement of Cayin N8 firmware v2.5

The main purpose of this firmware is to enable UAT codec in N8 Bluetooth. UAT (Ultra Audio Transmission) is a new Hi-Res Bluetooth codec developed by HiBy Music. Rated at up to 1.2Mbps, this is probably the highest data rate ever implemented in Bluetooth audio application, and will support high sampling rate up to 192kHz. Users can select 600K, 900K, 1.2M connection to fit different environment.

Firmware explained: https://en.cayin.cn/down1/show?id=13575

If you are familiar with N8 firmware update procedure, you can download the package from Google Drive here.

This version of firmware update will ONLY available through local download, OTA firmware update will be resumed in subsequent firmware update.

New Functions and System Optimization
  1. Added UAT Codec to Bluetooth audio.
  2. Added new feature to point at current track when call up current playlist during playback.
  3. Recovered Left/Right channel balance function when 3.5mm phone out is engaged.
  4. Bug fixed: Font size of “LO Output Level” and “ReplayGain” not synchronized with “Font size” adjustment.
  5. Improved user interface by changing some of the wording and naming of features and parameters.
  6. Other bugs fixed and optimization
Firmware upgrades procedure

Cayin will release firmware upgrade to enhance and optimize N8 as deem required, the new firmware can be acquired through OTA or manual download, since the content of these firmware are identical, you can select whichever upgrade option that fit your needs.

Please make sure the device has sufficient battery power before you proceed. Please confirm the device has not less than 50% battery power; otherwise please charge up the player before you proceed to firmware upgrade.

Local Upgrade Procedures
  1. Download the latest firmware upgrade package from Cayin website (www.cayin.cn). We have provided two download links, you can either download the package from our website or through our Google Drive.
  2. You should receive a compressed document N8 firmware XXXX.zip, decompress the zip file and extract the N8 firmware file (u8.upt)
  3. Copy N8 firmware file into the root directory of N8 internal memory or TF card, insert the TF card into N8 before you proceed to next step.
  4. Select System upgrade from System Setup menu, when prompted by the system, select “update via micro SD card”. You will be asked to confirm your selection, select OK to proceed.
  5. The system will start the firmware upgrade immediately, you can monitor the process through the Updater progress bar.
  6. The player will reboot into main menu when the firmware upgrade is completed. Please verify the firmware version number which is displayed under “About” option of pull down menu.
Attention
  • N8 can support FAT/FAT32/exFAT/NTFS formatted TF card during the firmware upgrade process.
  • Do not operate the machine during firmware upgrade
  • Please delete/remove the firmware file from the TF card after firmware upgrade
  • Please scan your Music Library again after firmware upgrade
  • If N8 is in charging status, the player will not reboot to main menu after firmware upgrade. It will stop at the battery charging page, you need to disconnect the USB charger to complete the firmware upgrade process.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jun 14, 2019 at 9:58 AM Post #2,008 of 3,873
Instructions to enable UAT

UAT on N8 works in two modes. In Transmitter Mode, you can connect N8 with any bluetooth device that supports UAT. Right now HiBy W5 is probably the only UAT compatible device in the market but we expect headphones and speakers that can take advantage of the extra bandwidth provided by UAT will be on its way.

When operated in Receiver Mode, N8 can play music from any Android device via HiBy Music App (ver. 3.3.0_5703 or above) and be used as a wireless DAC and amplifier.

Transmitter Mode:
  1. Navigate to Wireless Settings on your N8.
  2. Turn on Bluetooth and pair with your headphone or speaker that supports UAT.
  3. In the Quality options, select a UAT codec with the output rate.

1560389207228959.png

Receiver Mode:

1. Pair N8 and your Android smartphone via Bluetooth(Hiby Link has to be switched off).

1560390211921384.jpg

2. Open HiBy Music App on your phone and navigate to the Settings menu.

1560390215319264.jpg

3. In the Settings menu, switch on “HiBy UAT” option.

1560390218707093.jpg

4. Play music in HiBy Music App, while N8 works as a wireless DAC and amplifier via Bluetooth & UAT.

1560390223456817.jpg

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jun 15, 2019 at 7:16 AM Post #2,010 of 3,873
Any reason why you purchased n6ii while you have n8? Did you find it complimentary? Are you keeping it?
Wanted to use an android ui dap and try future amp/dac/MB set ups.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back