Cayin N8 TOTL DAP: KORG Nutube, Dual AK4497, 4.4mm phone/line out
Jul 11, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #3,406 of 3,873
2 weeks is not enough even for burning the sp2000, I know that this is a N8 thread but you folks that elected AK as a target to shoot down and doesn't miss a chance, but by the way, as the sp2000 is only acceptable, give me 2 daps stock not mod, one that is good for you and the other excellent for you, without use EQ of course, come on, I am curious really

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2020 at 3:11 PM Post #3,407 of 3,873
2 weeks is not enough even for burning the sp2000, I know that this is a N8 thread but you folks that elected AK as a target to shoot down and doesn't miss a chance, but by the way, as the sp2000 is only acceptable, give me 2 daps stock not mod, one that is good for you and the other excellent for you, without use EQ of course, come on, I am curious really

Let's be clear. I am shooting down no dap but just going with what I like. I've never said SP2000 sounded bad but sure it's not good enough to over turn its critical flaw which I found to be EQ (also don't enjoy 2.5mm jack but not a major). I really like AK's
recently added song feature which N8 doesn't have. It's a real convenient feature of sorting the new songs I just added to play.
I requested this good feature to N8 but they basically blushed me off, so not too happy about that. Most of vendors I found to be rather unbending toward what the users want while insisting on their own agenda. Hiring more customer oriented marketing staff would be a good step.

Jul 12, 2020 at 6:39 AM Post #3,409 of 3,873
Jul 12, 2020 at 7:22 AM Post #3,410 of 3,873
You sure about that one? I can play DSD256 with JRiver through N8 no problem...
Foobar2000 gives me error and the driver description clearly says N8 -> DSD128. Thus, I decided, it's not supported.
Is JRiver streams by native or DoP?

UPD: Indeed, looks like JRiver is able to override the driver settings and play DSD256 on N8.
Fixed DSD256+ playback in Foobar2000 by adding dsd transcoder.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2020 at 1:15 PM Post #3,411 of 3,873
And is there any new firmware coming or is the N8 frozen with its bugs until the end of time?!..

Have you run into any bug and is waiting for a firmware update right now?

It will be nice to have a choice of frequencies which allows the use of oratory1990 headphones profiles. I also dream of a crossfeed feature... Is anything of these feasible?

We didn't intend to add new features to the N8 at this stage. We'll devote our resource to solve outstanding bugs if any.

For example try to play with the eq while playing some music, good chances the player will crash. The player will crash with big cards. and I know it is not a bug but what about a small search feature to find artists and song. In 2020 is it too much to ask for a 3000 dollars player?!..

Can you tell me the detail of your big card and the condition of your crash? We have received scattered report that high speed (160MBps) 1TB card will crash but the problem is solved when format the card with FAT32 or NTFS. 1TB TF card from Samsung, Lexar, ... won't crash, to the best of our knowledge.

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jul 13, 2020 at 2:21 PM Post #3,412 of 3,873
Hi,
Does Anyone know how to set "line out' when the n8 is connected to an amp. In my case a Auralic Taurus MkII therefore quite a powerful amp. Is it a matter of taste: to listen and see with which setting you get the best sound or is there a "Scientific" way to choose the right setting?

Pull down the quick control menu from the top (near the middle), you can now control the output of the 4.4mm BAL at the top right corner. PO is phone out, touch it once will change the label to LO (Line Out), Touch it again will change it to PO again.

Please be reminded that volume control is disabled at Line Out mode.

1594664125766.png

Last edited:

Jul 14, 2020 at 12:12 AM Post #3,413 of 3,873
I see you and some others attacking Jmills8 here a bit. This is an N8 thread.

I chose the N8 over the AK and the Sony and the LPGT based on sound quality. It is just better to me. I did also like the Sony WM1Z and LPGT over the AK. I also own and like the Hugo 2. The N8 certainly needs a better interface, but it is serviceable for me. In addition to its tube mode, I really like the 4.4mm output. It is excellent. I only use it with IEM’s by the way.
These are also not night and day differences. There were some definite differences that made me choose the N8, but it was not like I hated the others or anything. Tks.

Jul 14, 2020 at 1:33 AM Post #3,414 of 3,873
Let's be clear. I am shooting down no dap but just going with what I like. I've never said SP2000 sounded bad but sure it's not good enough to over turn its critical flaw which I found to be EQ (also don't enjoy 2.5mm jack but not a major). I really like AK's
recently added song feature which N8 doesn't have. It's a real convenient feature of sorting the new songs I just added to play.
I requested this good feature to N8 but they basically blushed me off, so not too happy about that. Most of vendors I found to be rather unbending toward what the users want while insisting on their own agenda. Hiring more customer oriented marketing staff would be a good step.

We didn't blushed you off. Till now we didn't receive any independent request to add this feature to N8. We did seek advice from our dealers but we didn't receive any support or request on this feature either. The most frequently requested new feature is song searching function which I have to admit, that's something N8 is lacking behind.

We did perform a technical feasibility study on your request. The function is pretty straight forward if N8 is Android based. The problem is, we don't have a "time" concept in N8 operation system. When you copy file into N8, we don't record the time of modification, we just copy the music file and analyze the ID3 tab. We didn't change the tag, and we don't have a specific way to record the time of copying. In other word, we need to add a clock feature, allow users to setup the clock, (we cannot assume user will enable WiFi and use network-provided time), and then we record the time of copying, and build the "recently added" playlist. The feature is not as straightforward as it appeared to be. Sorry for unable to fulfill your request.

Jul 14, 2020 at 1:51 AM Post #3,415 of 3,873
We didn't blushed you off. Till now we didn't receive any independent request to add this feature to N8. We did seek advice from our dealers but we didn't receive any support or request on this feature either. The most frequently requested new feature is song searching function which I have to admit, that's something N8 is lacking behind.

We did perform a technical feasibility study on your request. The function is pretty straight forward if N8 is Android based. The problem is, we don't have a "time" concept in N8 operation system. When you copy file into N8, we don't record the time of modification, we just copy the music file and analyze the ID3 tab. We didn't change the tag, and we don't have a specific way to record the time of copying. In other word, we need to add a clock feature, allow users to setup the clock, (we cannot assume user will enable WiFi and use network-provided time), and then we record the time of copying, and build the "recently added" playlist. The feature is not as straightforward as it appeared to be. Sorry for unable to fulfill your request.

Hi Andy! I have a request, would you be able to provide an estimation on the upcoming firmware (which fixes the bugs with current firmware)? I ask because my recent servicing of the N8 was due to the current firmware.

Thanks

Jul 14, 2020 at 2:09 AM Post #3,416 of 3,873

Thanks for your response but "Till now we didn't receive any independent request to add this feature to N8" - if you go back to about 6 month or earlier on this thread we had
the same conversation with the same exact comment from you stating you never received the request before. Now this is my 2nd suggestion for this feature. :)
But anyway I take it as you can't do it, so the case's closed. No point beating the dead horse. Even without this feature I still have your N8 so it must be still special,
sound wise, of course.

Jul 14, 2020 at 6:04 PM Post #3,417 of 3,873
Andy, on any update to the N8 would you be able to add the capability to always leave it plugged in? For example, on my Hugo 2, if I decide to leave it plugged in for desktop or home audio use, after a period of time it will disengage the battery and only work off the power cable. This feature allows its battery to not get used up when plugged in, etc. It also makes it easier to charge as you would be able to just leave it plugged in till you remember to unplug it! Tks.

Jul 15, 2020 at 10:41 AM Post #3,418 of 3,873
Yes this is correct, the issue is with the local drive. It occur when I turn on the DAP and select 'Local storage' and get a message like "Storage no found' or something like this. It first appeared on v2.5. Turning the DAP on and off make it working again.On v3.0 this simple solution doesn't work. I'm now on v2.3 which has all PCM filters enabled.For me N8 sounds really great on vocal music but a bit too airy (or possibly dreamy) on classical music even on 3.5 mm out so I was trying various PCM filters and adjusting volume during playback. Maybe at some point this crashed firmware on v3.0.
I had the same issue of DAP crashing last year and have to downgrade from firmware 3.0 to 2.3. I have been contacted by Cayin support in September 2019 and explained in detail how to reproduce this issue and what inconsistency I see on the Music settings screen. There has been NO feedback from them. Recently I have another issue: when I remove the cable after charging, the charging battery sign on the screen and LED indicator remains on until I restard the DAP. What's much worse is that it is now not detected when connected to a PC! I tried several PCs and cables, tried to reset the DAP - doesn't work. It appears that their claim of '25th anniversary TOTL DAP' doesn't have real commitment behind it. Certainly I will never consider buying their things again.

Sorry for didn't follow through your case back in September, did you PM me on this issue? I didn't recall any of this, if I have missed your PM, I apologize.

I have seek advice regarding your case and reviewed similar reports of similar problems. From what we noticed, the "Storage not find" problem is caused by TF card holding up the I/O channel of CPU, and over 90% of the cases are associated with Sandisk Extreme Pro and Toshiba EXCERIA Pro cards. The problem is highly randomized and we cannot nail down the source of the problem. Not all the TF cards from Extreme Pro and Exceria Pro cards will have this problem, we have an user run into similar problem with his 128GB Extreme Pro but when he switched to his 256GB Extreme Pro, the problem is solved immediately, so we also suspected the problem is related to small sample of TF cards under this two lines.

If you are using Extreme Pro or Exceria Pro TF card right now, can you please test your N8 with TF card from other brand/model ?

Your second problem: "it is now not detected when connected to a PC! I tried several PCs and cables, tried to reset the DAP - doesn't work. Do you have this problem since your own your N8? or it only happens recently? Did you hear a beep (alert) sound when you connect the USB cable between N8 and your PC? or total silent in due course? TF cards were installed in N8 when you connect to your PC?

Last edited:

Jul 15, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #3,419 of 3,873
Ok folks, let’s chill. If we can note issues with Cayin players without getting testy, then what’s the harm?
Now, I purchased a Cayin N8BB and it’s been in service for 5 months (2 separate services). I’ve owned it a year. These issues are notably.
1. Hardware issues on delicate gold knobs.
2. Software locks when downgrading.
Even though my experience with Cayin hasn’t been the best, I don’t have much negative feelings because I’ve dealt with a great store, MUSICTECK. Andrew has been gracious to repair my unit and provide a Lotoo Paw Gold Touch during servicing.

Now, if Cayin offered a loyalty upgrade program for the next flagship, this would certainly help smooth over early adopters having to deal with the faulty hardware/software during N8 ownership. I ask Cayin to please consider this.

But attacking Cayin over and over doesn’t add any value or help anyone. When making a flagship device, there WILL be issues especially if it’s uncharted waters for the company.
I give Cayin some leeway as NO ONE has done tubes in this form factor yet. Even in solid state mode, the N8 sound is the best I’ve heard. Only beaten by DMP Z1.

Hi Andy! I have a request, would you be able to provide an estimation on the upcoming firmware (which fixes the bugs with current firmware)? I ask because my recent servicing of the N8 was due to the current firmware.

Thanks

Thank you very much for your support, we sincerely appreciate your help to chill down the discussion even when you didn't have a very good experience with our product. :beerchug:

We are indeed working on a new firmware for N8, I don't have an exact date, tentatively by late August but we need to finish the new USB Driver first, so the date is not firmed at this stage.

What are the bug(s) that you have been running into right now? Are you referring to the "Software locks when downgrading" problem? I didn't follow up the beta versions of N8 firmware after I left my FT role with Cayin, so I have no idea about the on-going firmware progress until I receive the change list when the new firmware is ready. If you are running into specific problems, I can channel your problem to the Engineers, or you can email them directly at info@cayin.cn.

Jul 15, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #3,420 of 3,873
Andy, on any update to the N8 would you be able to add the capability to always leave it plugged in? For example, on my Hugo 2, if I decide to leave it plugged in for desktop or home audio use, after a period of time it will disengage the battery and only work off the power cable. This feature allows its battery to not get used up when plugged in, etc. It also makes it easier to charge as you would be able to just leave it plugged in till you remember to unplug it! Tks.

This is technically not feasible with N8 because this can only be implemented through hardware and software update. We can't provide a "desktop mode" that bypass the internal battery completely through a software update, an alternative power supply circuit must be in place before we can software control the power supply to select an alternative power supply (i.e., bypass the battery).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back