Cayin N8 TOTL DAP: KORG Nutube, Dual AK4497, 4.4mm phone/line out
Jul 8, 2020 at 8:13 AM Post #3,376 of 3,873
Jul 9, 2020 at 7:09 AM Post #3,377 of 3,873
Hi,
Does Anyone know how to set "line out' when the n8 is connected to an amp. In my case a Auralic Taurus MkII therefore quite a powerful amp. Is it a matter of taste: to listen and see with which setting you get the best sound or is there a "Scientific" way to choose the right setting?

Jul 9, 2020 at 8:57 AM Post #3,380 of 3,873
I should have guessed, given that SE has a dedicated LO. Unfortunately I didn’t get to try the Bal and I don’t have my N8 on me right now.

I assume you are using the included 4.4mm to dual XLR adapter to connect to your amp. I wonder if the device automatically detects it as Line Out because the ground pin of the pentaconn will actually be grounded when connected to the amp, unlike with headphones where the ground pin is left to float.

Are you able to adjust the volume on the N8 when you are going the Line Out?

Jul 9, 2020 at 9:11 AM Post #3,383 of 3,873
It's very sad to see, how Cayin abandoned there flagship product and it's customers.
No bugfixes, no DSD512 implementation (instead of misleading statement than chip supports it) and a long long list of essential but never implemented features.
I'm will certainly add this company to my "never again" list.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2020 at 10:22 AM Post #3,384 of 3,873
It's very sad to see, how Cayin abandoned there flagship product and it's customers.
No bugfixes, no DSD512 implementation (instead of misleading statement than chip supports it), even no DSD256 in driver for Windows, and a long long list of essential but never implemented features.
Good you found what you like.

Jul 11, 2020 at 2:25 AM Post #3,385 of 3,873
No bugfixes, no DSD512 implementation (instead of misleading statement than chip supports it), even no DSD256 in driver for Windows, and a long long list of essential but never implemented features.
I had the same issue of DAP crashing last year and have to downgrade from firmware 3.0 to 2.3. I have been contacted by Cayin support in September 2019 and explained in detail how to reproduce this issue and what inconsistency I see on the Music settings screen. There has been NO feedback from them. Recently I have another issue: when I remove the cable after charging, the charging battery sign on the screen and LED indicator remains on until I restard the DAP. What's much worse is that it is now not detected when connected to a PC! I tried several PCs and cables, tried to reset the DAP - doesn't work. It appears that their claim of '25th anniversary TOTL DAP' doesn't have real commitment behind it. Certainly I will never consider buying their things again.

Jul 11, 2020 at 2:27 AM Post #3,386 of 3,873
I had the same issue of DAP crashing last year and have to downgrade from firmware 3.0 to 2.3. I have been contacted by Cayin support in September 2019 and explained in detail how to reproduce this issue and what inconsistency I see on the Music settings screen. There has been NO feedback from them. Recently I have another issue: when I remove the cable after charging, the charging battery sign on the screen and LED indicator remains on until I restard the DAP. What's much worse is that it is now not detected when connected to a PC! I tried several PCs and cables, tried to reset the DAP - doesn't work. It appears that their claim of '25th anniversary TOTL DAP' doesn't have real commitment behind it. Certainly I will never consider buying their things again.
Which dap do you prefer ?

Jul 11, 2020 at 4:23 AM Post #3,387 of 3,873
Which dap do you prefer ?
My other DAP is Cowon Plenue S which I still use and prefer on the go. For my purposes the N8 is a transportable DAP for listening in a mostly quiet environment, with the advantage of a choice of timbre and in some ways better sound compared to the other flagship DAPs I tried (A&K, Sony). Such DAP is certainly regarded as the best company's offer and intended for a long life, meaning it should not get crippled here and there in just a year's time. If I were to choose a transportable DAP now I would look at A&K flagships.

Jul 11, 2020 at 8:40 AM Post #3,389 of 3,873
I'm switching to A&K SP2000. It sounds noticeably better, more details for sure, and it fits it the pocket, doesn't click all the buttons there and won't burn your pants))
Great that you believe that. I had it its not even good.

Jul 11, 2020 at 8:42 AM Post #3,390 of 3,873
My other DAP is Cowon Plenue S which I still use and prefer on the go. For my purposes the N8 is a transportable DAP for listening in a mostly quiet environment, with the advantage of a choice of timbre and in some ways better sound compared to the other flagship DAPs I tried (A&K, Sony). Such DAP is certainly regarded as the best company's offer and intended for a long life, meaning it should not get crippled here and there in just a year's time. If I were to choose a transportable DAP now I would look at A&K flagships.
I have two Cowon S , two PM2S , two PLS. The N8 is better but Im enjoying the Cowons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back