Cayin N8 TOTL DAP: KORG Nutube, Dual AK4497, 4.4mm phone/line out
Nov 15, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #1,186 of 3,873
What battery issue? That you're worried it won't last 7-8 years? How about the fact that all daps, regarding of the price, become obsolete in 2-3 years :wink:

And check with A&K, don't think I ever heard of them having replacement battery policy, so double check anyway. Besides, do you think A&K will have a replacement battery available 7+ years later? :wink:

Nov 15, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #1,188 of 3,873
What about the possibility of receive codec LDAC with a new firmware ?
This is very important position for me when deciding to buy

Well... :wink:

Nov 15, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #1,189 of 3,873
As great as this DAP sounds (i havent heard myself , im trusting reviewers and Cayins reputation)

This battery issue on a 4500.00 (CND) DAP has moved me away from consideration ,which pains me as i really wanted this DAP ,but i do not want a 4500.00 paper weight in 3 or 7 or in any amount of years and time

If some questions could be answered , Ie does it have the ability to work from a wall outlet even if the battery is dead ?

That could def. help me make a decision , as it may be a PITA to do , i will do most of my listening a t home near a wall outlet as i get older and go out less

Is there a battery replacement program ? What is it exactly if there is one ?

i believe a few DAP manufacturers do have a t least a one battery replacement program (Ie Astell & Kern?)

Canadian dealers are telling me Cayin has a great 25 year rep (Yes they do i agree) and they will cover such

Thats nice to hear , but i prefer to hear that and the details from Cayin

It seems odd Andy is not posting in on this here , but i feel confident he will soon , he may be involved in other pressing matters ATM

Im really hoping these/my concerns will be addressed so i can make a final decision

The battery concern has moved me from TAKE MY DAMN CASH , to full brakes on the purchase

No disrespect to Cayin in any manner

Maybe Astell & Kern may be the purchase to make or another top DAP maker ?

I wasn't going to post again but saw your post and could help responding.

When I bought my Sony A17 in 2014 I bought it from a Sony store in Toronto and of course they have all closed. As a promotion a got a 2nd year added to my warranty that covered my replacement unit for the battery. Unfortunately now it seems as far as I can find Sony no longer offers extended warranties, at least from third party sellers. Not sure if you can get one if you order from Sony's Canadian designated seller gentec.ca which is where you are sent if you try to purchase online from sony.ca Extended warranties use to be the way to get some protection for battery replacements though not free much cheaper than having to ship and repair an imported product for service out of warranty. But alas like many things they seem to have gone bye bye. So it would certainly be nice if Cayin and other manufacturers could come up with clear statements on out of warranty battery replacement and general repairs out of warranty for that matter. Obviously other things can go wrong with these products.

The technology in the N8 is impressive I will admit that but also unproven in a DAP as is the record size battery. Personally if I were considering this DAP I would wait awhile, 6 months at least to see if any issues do arise. Maybe by then Cayin will chime in on the whole replacement battery issue out of warranty. Some may like the appearance of the N8 but sorry the word TACKY comes to mind when I look at it.

My two cents I have demoed a few A&K DAP's and they sound great but for such expensive DAP's they aren't without issues themselves. Honestly what are you comparing the N8 to when comparing it to other cheaper DAP's? Even if I won the lottery and could afford it I don't think I would buy it without demoing it and comparing it to some less expensive DAP's. Can the sound alone really justify it over cheaper options? I would certainly have to find out first. My Shanling M0 is the only DAP I have ever bought without demoing first but it was only $140.00 and not much of a financial risk and I like it very much by the way. Great little DAP for the money and sounds pretty darn good. With future planned firmware upgrades adding replaygain and custom eq plus UI improvements it should provide every feature I need. No I have no remote expectations it will sound anywhere near as good as the N8 but it costs what 28.5 X the price CDN of the M0 for a device that can do most of the same things. That to me is a staggering difference and hard to wrap my head around. For the just the tax alone on the N8 I could buy 4 M0's and would not have a problem buying again once the battery dies whenever that happens.

I know headfoneshop.com a tiny dealer in Toronto (just a small counter in a Canada Post shipping store) where I have bought some products and demoed a few DAP's including A&K. Price is $4299.00 + Tax so almost $4900.00 including the tax. I don't think they are setup for warranty service so you would likely have to send the unit to the distributor. At least that was my experience with a Fiio E11K I bought from them. The law of diminishing returns gets pummeled when you try to justify almost $5000.00 for a battery powered device. My entire home audio system doesn't cost that much and can do a hell of alot more and probably sounds as good. I don't even have to worry about any batteries dying except the remote and they are replaceable for a couple of bucks.

OKEY, this was my last post in this thread. Just had to get that off my chest and now I can move on. Good luck to all who buy the N8 and happy listening.

Nov 15, 2018 at 3:28 PM Post #1,190 of 3,873
How about the fact that all daps, regarding of the price, become obsolete in 2-3 years

Since when?? Perhaps if you want the "latest and greatest DAP" and possibly a victim of consumerism. The DAP I use has a user replaceable battery and was on the hype train around here for quite a while. I will replace it when it no longer works.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #1,191 of 3,873
What about the possibility of receive codec LDAC with a new firmware ?
This is very important position for me when deciding to buy

Sorry what now, my $140.00 M0 has LDAC receiver mode and the super expensive bling bling DAP doesn't? Also when using bluetooth, LDAC or otherwise your N8 won't sound any better than my lowly M0 which also gets like twice the battery life.

OWW!! I think I just dropped the MIC on my foot!!! :k701smile: Sorry just couldn't resist, now I literally have nothing else to say, I promise this time honest :metal:

Nov 15, 2018 at 5:08 PM Post #1,192 of 3,873
Sorry what now, my $140.00 M0 has LDAC receiver mode and the super expensive bling bling DAP doesn't? Also when using bluetooth, LDAC or otherwise your N8 won't sound any better than my lowly M0 which also gets like twice the battery life.

OWW!! I think I just dropped the MIC on my foot!!! :k701smile: Sorry just couldn't resist, now I literally have nothing else to say, I promise this time honest :metal:

Hopefully, you didn't drop it on you foot bunion :p In many cases LDAC feature has nothing to do with availability of technology, but with waiting to get Sony's approval, they have to certify you before you can enable it.

With M0 (and I have favorably reviewed it in the past), it's not just about supporting the protocol. That's just encoding, transfer, and decoding of the data wireless. At that point different DAP units should be on equal grounds. But then you have to process this digital data and put it through DAC/amp of your audio player. M0 has probably $2 (or less) DAC combined with an amp (they are both on ES9218 chip), while N8 has other higher end more expensive components. One Korg NuTube 6P1 vacuum tube module alone probably cost more than all M0 components put together :wink:

Nov 16, 2018 at 3:14 AM Post #1,193 of 3,873
Another look into LPGT vs N8:

Built, design, size-wise and UI for me LPGT feels more complete, it is more portable and just much faster. If you are going for LPGT, 4.4mm balance out is the way to go, 3.5mm is basically similar to LPG which can be fatiguing. Going from LPGT To N8, N8 is the more musical one, less fatiguing one.

I personally don't see how I can ever use the power that 4.4mm out of N8 has to offer, be used for IEM. It is seriously powerful , maybe more powerful than LPGT. For me N8 is all about the NuTube 3.5mm output. Which makes me feel, would I be using the other features? If not, would I be happy paying for features I probably would not use.

I hope Cayin is reading this, if they manage to just release a DAP which the NuTube output stage, sign me up, I'll pay for it right now without knowing when the product will be made. You guys have done the hard work and found a way to make that tube sing, and produce a DAP that to my ears is on the same level as Woo audio WA8 (note I haven't tested it side by side).

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2018 at 5:51 AM Post #1,194 of 3,873

Built, design, size-wise and UI for me LPGT feels more complete, it is more portable and just much faster. If you are going for LPGT, 4.4mm balance out is the way to go, 3.5mm is basically similar to LPG which can be fatiguing. Going from LPGT To N8, N8 is the more musical one, less fatiguing one.

I personally don't see how I can ever use the power that 4.4mm out of N8 has to offer, be used for IEM. It is seriously power, maybe more powerful than LPGT. For me N8 is all about the NuTube 3.5mm output. Which makes me feel, would I be using the other features? If not, would I be happy paying for features I probably would not use.

I hope Cayin is reading this, if they manage to just release a DAP which the NuTube output stage, sign me up, I'll pay for it right now without know when the product will be made. You guys have done the hard work and found a way to make that tube sign and work, and produce a DAP that to my ears is on the same level as Woo audio WA8 (note I haven't tested it side by side).
You must be a Lotoo fan boy. The Touch seriously sounded , umm , boring. The Touch ui is better but not its sound. N8 solid state amp sounded better and ofcourse the tube sounded better than the Touch.

Nov 16, 2018 at 7:45 AM Post #1,195 of 3,873
What battery issue? That you're worried it won't last 7-8 years? How about the fact that all daps, regarding of the price, become obsolete in 2-3 years :wink:

And check with A&K, don't think I ever heard of them having replacement battery policy, so double check anyway. Besides, do you think A&K will have a replacement battery available 7+ years later? :wink:

"That you're worried it won't last 7-8 years?"

4500.00 Canadian dollars

The answer is an absolute yes

Any gear i have spent near 5k on has lasted me decades

The battery may not be an issue if it has run through , can run off the wall outlet even if the battery is kaput

i have only been told about AK battery replacement by a few Canadian dealers . i cant vouch for certainty

Nov 16, 2018 at 11:44 AM Post #1,196 of 3,873
"That you're worried it won't last 7-8 years?"

4500.00 Canadian dollars

The answer is an absolute yes

Any gear i have spent near 5k on has lasted me decades

The battery may not be an issue if it has run through , can run off the wall outlet even if the battery is kaput

i have only been told about AK battery replacement by a few Canadian dealers . i cant vouch for certainty

I contacted A&K yesterday with a battery question (and usually get reply right away), while never heard back from them.

Regarding gear that lasted you for decades, I'm sure we are not talking about a consumer grade portable digital audio player, but probably a desktop amp? Consumer electronics falls into a different category. Entry level and mid-fi DAPs usually use a lower quality cheaper components (and those are refreshed with new models more often), while flagship DAPs usually get more design attention and get refreshed every few years (actually, Cayin released their flagship 4 years after the last N6 - maybe it's part of their flagship cycle?). Regarding the prices, I don't even know what to say, I'm a reviewer not a consumer, and I do feel your pain. I'm just doing my best to describe how the product works and how it sounds, leaving it up to my readers if it fits their budget and meets their expectations. It's easier to talk about price/performance ratio of DAPs under $500, above it the price spread is too wide. And from talking to many people, I noticed that some don't even care about the price, and for them $3k is similar to someone else's $500. But the good news, there are many choices in every price bracket.

Btw, what DAP are you using right now, or what is your current audio source? Just curious.

Nov 16, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #1,197 of 3,873
Well, this is disappointing to notice the tone of discussion suddenly turns stressful. This is not a court or boxing ring and Personal Audio is supposed to be a hobby to maxima our satisfaction when we listen to music, so let’s remain cheerful and supportive during our exchanges and sharing.

I have no idea why someone comes here to declare he is not going to buy N8. I am not saying you are not allowed to do that, but it does sound very odd. Are you somehow feel obliged to buy N8? Or someone has pressurized you to buy the N8? Or you have been solicited or harassed by someone to buy the N8 and you want to shake him away? Did Cayin did anything wrong that hurt or damaged your interest? I really don’t understand the reason to making this claim publicly.

My name has been called twice (or more than that?) in recent discussion, and were put it in a negative way to imply that I should have responded and there is something suspicious when I remain silent. This is very unfair, I don’t see similar “speculation” in other brands or products, maybe I should stop participating in the thread and only show up irregularly to avoid this kind of understanding. That’s will be something I’ll consider later, but let’s try to be productive and get the doubt out of the way..

Just to clarify, as of today, Cayin does not have a free battery replacement policy. Maybe we’ll revise this sometime later, but I am not optimistic. Instead of putting up a promising future, I want to thank you for considering our product, and I wish you all the best in finding a DAP that suit your preference and requirements.

@Rozeqloud I am very interested to find out more detail about the battery replacement plan or 1-free replacement practice you have mentioned. I spend the whole night digging in and out Sony and AK website but I can’t find any reference to similar practice. Since this has been used as the base to convince everyone that Cayin should offer similar service, I think it's time to look into it seriously. I promise if you can provide the detail, I’ll present it to our senior management and consider your suggestion seriously.

For those who concern the long term usage of N8, I think the critical issue is not whether the battery can last for 2 years or 3 years or 5 years because the number varied according to usage. There are good practice to extend the life of your battery and there are practice that will shorten the life of your battery, but that is not our current topic so we can leave it another time. In other word, and all calculation are nothing more than assumptions, and we can argue about these assumptions forever, so I am going to waste your time along this line.

The situation will change dramatically if we can replace the battery, or more important, repair the player when needed. Cayin cannot promise component availability after three or five years, to the best of our knowledge, this is not a common practice among Consumer Electronic manufacturers. We do our best to standby our product and so far we have been doing very well. We have customers sending their 15 years old amplifier to us or repair, so we are pretty good on that. Please be reminded that Cayin is a “real” manufacturer, our head office is actually a 4-storey purposively design factory plant with over 100 fulltime workers working there 5 days a week, so we have strong in-house engineering capability to support our product.

If you think these are irrelevant for DAP customer, let’s try something solid. N6, our first DAP, was launch back in December 2014, so that is four years old already. I have run a quick check, we have around 50 pieces of N6 battery in-stock and they are recently acquired to refill our inventory, so we have keep our side of professional practice and take good cares of our components supply.

Next question, how much does it cost to replace the battery? We’ll go through two options, be warned this is going to be longer and more complicated that you’ll expected.

Option 1
If you are living within ground transportation distance from our factory, we can, theoretically sell the battery to you directly and you can either install it yourself or find a local technician to do that for you.

Option 2
Send the N8 to your dealer, let the dealer ship the N8 to us, we replace the N8 battery and then ship the N8 back to your dealer. The cost of this transaction will involve the following items:
Repair + Dealer + Shipping FR + Shipping TO + Custom (maybe)

Repair = Cayin charges part and labor for all repair outside warranty period
Dealer = Dealer administration
Shipping FR = Shipping from dealer to Cayin (insurance included)
Shipping TO = Shipping cost from Cayin to dealer (insurance included)
Custom = Custom according to local legislation

Cayin charges US$25 to cover the battery, the carbon fiber back panel and labor. If you are familiar with the structure of N6, you’ll aware that you need to dismantle the carbon fiber back panel in order to access to the screws to unlock the chassis, so we need to factor that into the repair cost. You dealer will take care of the logistic to and from China, custom clearance to China, and maybe custom clearance from China, and all necessary documentation, accounting and taxation process. Some dealer will charge their Admin cost upfront, and collect the repair cost after the repair, other dealer might quote you one price that combine their admin cost and our repair cost.

The Shipping cost varied a lot. If you want to do it quick, you’ll have to pay for the premium. If you can wait, maybe we attach the repaired player with the next shipment of the dealer and cut down your cost. Custom is optional and you should know it better than me.

The N8 is 380g, you don’t need to send in the leather case or original box, so we probably can pack it up within 1kg. You can estimate the total cost for this to happen in your country.

If someone is in doubt about my explanation (or claim, whatever you want to call it), send us a N6 and see if we can replace the battery for you. You don’t have to tell me in advance, you do test us anonymously.

You can call this expensive, but hey, if you consider the battery as the only considerable of your DAP and you have to pay 3% to 5% of the “system” cost to extend the players for several years, it’s a good deal to me.

Last but not least, if your battery is dead, you can plug the N8 into your USB charger and use it as a desktop, or bundle it up with a power bank to make it a “transportable”. We don’t recommend you to listen and charge at the same time when your battery is healthy, because when the battery and charging and powering the player at the same time, it will operate at very higher temperature and might affect the lifetime of the battery. This is what we called technically feasible but practically not recommended. However if your battery is not healthy or dead, you got nothing to lose and since the battery is not charging, it is not going to run hot even you are using it with a charger.

Any further question regarding the battery issue?

PS. I was occupied by an project with HiFi+ magazine and have been working day and night over the past few days, and I am busy drafting a firmware release note for next week, I read the forum but I couldn't spare the time to participate in discussion. Hope they clarified the "speculation", if there is any.

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Nov 16, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #1,199 of 3,873

I personally don't see how I can ever use the power that 4.4mm out of N8 has to offer, be used for IEM. It is seriously powerful , maybe more powerful than LPGT. For me N8 is all about the NuTube 3.5mm output. Which makes me feel, would I be using the other features? If not, would I be happy paying for features I probably would not use.

I hope Cayin is reading this, if they manage to just release a DAP which the NuTube output stage, sign me up, I'll pay for it right now without know when the product will be made. You guys have done the hard work and found a way to make that tube sing, and produce a DAP that to my ears is on the same level as Woo audio WA8 (note I haven't tested it side by side).

You must be a Lotoo fan boy. The Touch seriously sounded , umm , boring. The Touch ui is better but not its sound. N8 solid state amp sounded better and ofcourse the tube sounded better than the Touch.

I think @audionewbi has offered a very good impression, while I PERSONALLY preferred N8, I have run into someone who prefer LGPT previously, I don't see any problem with that. Impression is a personal experience and there are a bunch of reason contributed to that experience: choice of music, earphone, environment, personal preference or even what he had audition two hours before he heard N8 or LGPT. So instead of disagree with each other, I'll invite @jmills8 to share your alternative view on N8 vs LGPT. I am sure sharing your own experience is more productive then simply disagree with someone else's experience. :beerchug::beerchug::beerchug:

Nov 16, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #1,200 of 3,873
I wasn't going to post again but saw your post and could help responding.

When I bought my Sony A17 in 2014 I bought it from a Sony store in Toronto and of course they have all closed. As a promotion a got a 2nd year added to my warranty that covered my replacement unit for the battery. Unfortunately now it seems as far as I can find Sony no longer offers extended warranties, at least from third party sellers. Not sure if you can get one if you order from Sony's Canadian designated seller gentec.ca which is where you are sent if you try to purchase online from sony.ca Extended warranties use to be the way to get some protection for battery replacements though not free much cheaper than having to ship and repair an imported product for service out of warranty. But alas like many things they seem to have gone bye bye. So it would certainly be nice if Cayin and other manufacturers could come up with clear statements on out of warranty battery replacement and general repairs out of warranty for that matter. Obviously other things can go wrong with these products.

The technology in the N8 is impressive I will admit that but also unproven in a DAP as is the record size battery. Personally if I were considering this DAP I would wait awhile, 6 months at least to see if any issues do arise. Maybe by then Cayin will chime in on the whole replacement battery issue out of warranty. Some may like the appearance of the N8 but sorry the word TACKY comes to mind when I look at it.

My two cents I have demoed a few A&K DAP's and they sound great but for such expensive DAP's they aren't without issues themselves. Honestly what are you comparing the N8 to when comparing it to other cheaper DAP's? Even if I won the lottery and could afford it I don't think I would buy it without demoing it and comparing it to some less expensive DAP's. Can the sound alone really justify it over cheaper options? I would certainly have to find out first. My Shanling M0 is the only DAP I have ever bought without demoing first but it was only $140.00 and not much of a financial risk and I like it very much by the way. Great little DAP for the money and sounds pretty darn good. With future planned firmware upgrades adding replaygain and custom eq plus UI improvements it should provide every feature I need. No I have no remote expectations it will sound anywhere near as good as the N8 but it costs what 28.5 X the price CDN of the M0 for a device that can do most of the same things. That to me is a staggering difference and hard to wrap my head around. For the just the tax alone on the N8 I could buy 4 M0's and would not have a problem buying again once the battery dies whenever that happens.

I know headfoneshop.com a tiny dealer in Toronto (just a small counter in a Canada Post shipping store) where I have bought some products and demoed a few DAP's including A&K. Price is $4299.00 + Tax so almost $4900.00 including the tax. I don't think they are setup for warranty service so you would likely have to send the unit to the distributor. At least that was my experience with a Fiio E11K I bought from them. The law of diminishing returns gets pummeled when you try to justify almost $5000.00 for a battery powered device. My entire home audio system doesn't cost that much and can do a hell of alot more and probably sounds as good. I don't even have to worry about any batteries dying except the remote and they are replaceable for a couple of bucks.

OKEY, this was my last post in this thread. Just had to get that off my chest and now I can move on. Good luck to all who buy the N8 and happy listening.

My friend, is it really necessary to say Goodbye to a discussion?

I have been into this audiophile hobby for 20 years and there is one thing I learn: I can appreciate something even when I am not going to buy it or I can't afford it. if you treat this as your hobby, if you are passionate in this game, you have to go over this hurdle, owning or buying a product is not the only way to endorse or appreciate the product. Listen to it, learn about its concept and technologies, prioritize the features according to your preference,..., there are a lot of perspective that you can participate even you know from the beginning that you are not going to buy the product. After-all, the real reason of Personal Audio is about music appreciation, not finding fault in the music. So why don't we spend our effort on appreciation?

Like Alex, I was a reviewer when i was young, I heard a lot of good stuff, some of them are way beyond my budget, and some of them are way too large (speakers and turntables) to an extend that even the brand offered the item to me for free, I still can't afford (the space) to take it. However that won't affect my opinion to the product, and I won't try to find fault in the product so that i feel comfortable to left it behind. in fact, the only regret that I had, is unable to audition the product I fancy or recognized at significant to the industry. So come back when you feel comfortable, uou are always welcome here. :beerchug:

By the way, I sincerely recommend you to check out Cayin N5iiS, this is a decent DAP with lots of features, compact and yet powerful enough to handle difficult earphones, maybe this DAP will click with you, give it a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back