Cayin N7: A Voyager of Unexplored Frontier
Apr 11, 2023 at 6:00 PM Post #902 of 1,852
N6ii bypasses as well. The sound improvements aren’t due to antique Android sampling limitations. Most major daps have had a form of universal bypass implemented for years.

Apr 13, 2023 at 1:11 AM Post #904 of 1,852
N7 does not support coaxial input, it only provides coaxial output, that's why you can't feed spdif output to Cayin N7

N7 only provides one digital input, USB Audio. If you must use coaxial input to N7, you need a DDC to convert SPDIF to USB, but that will introduce delay in your signal path, making it impossible to synchronize audio and visual signal correctly.
can you suggest me a DDC model that is compatible with Cayin N7? If I also want to use N7 as Dac for Macbook Pro how can I connect it?

Apr 13, 2023 at 3:41 AM Post #907 of 1,852
can you suggest me a DDC model that is compatible with Cayin N7? If I also want to use N7 as Dac for Macbook Pro how can I connect it?
You don't need to add a DDC if you want to use N7 as DAC for your Macbook Pro. You can connect the USB 3.1 or Thunderbolt output of your MacBook Pro to N7 USB-C directly. You need to set the N7 USB to DAC mode and make sure you are connected to the USB3.1 connection port, the USB2.0 port is for peripheral such as keyboard or mouse, it limited the ISB output to 500mA, which is not a good sign for USB Audio connection.

and to connect the cd player with coaxial output I have to use a ddc, do you know which compatible model?
My experience with similar products is based on professional applications, so they are reliable but a bit expensive.

Mutec MC-1.2 Bi-directional USB Audio Interface
Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 (2nd Gen) USB Audio Interface

These are full-function Audio interfaces used by musicians and Podcasters, and they serve more than just a S/PDIF to USB Audio converter. If you are looking for lower cost solution, please google USB Audio interface with SPDIF input, I can see a few options from Google search but since I don't have any experience with these products or brands, I'll reluctantly recommend them as-is, you have to do your homework on this.

Please be reminded that adding a USB Audio interface will introduce delay due to extra audio processing, there is a big chance that the audio and video will be out of sync. because of that. So please bear that in mind before you plunge into it.

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Apr 13, 2023 at 12:31 PM Post #908 of 1,852
Got my N7 today. I run 2 Mac's and I'm finding it impossible to copy files over to the N7's internal storage. I've tried Android File Transfer & Commander One but I just get error messages like the attached. Anyone had any success/ got any suggestions on how to get this sorted? Thank you.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-04-13 at 17.27.31.png
    Screenshot 2023-04-13 at 17.27.31.png
    253.8 KB · Views: 0
Apr 14, 2023 at 3:12 PM Post #909 of 1,852
20230414_201125.jpg

Apr 14, 2023 at 3:42 PM Post #910 of 1,852
Smooth, so very smooth

Apr 14, 2023 at 5:10 PM Post #911 of 1,852
OK folks, some of my knowledge of this hobby is good, some is very good and some is patchy.

The patchy - give me a simple DSD explanation!
I see software that says it can convert my FLAC files to DSD
I don't see many DSD UK based sites where I can purchase music

Now here's the bit where I need some real guidance, I'm assuming from what I'm reading that the N7 can decode PCM to DSD, can it do this for FLAC files?

I apologise in advance for what may be simple questions but I've never ventured much past FLAC files on my DAPs

Apr 14, 2023 at 5:28 PM Post #912 of 1,852
OK folks, some of my knowledge of this hobby is good, some is very good and some is patchy.

Now here's the bit where I need some real guidance, I'm assuming from what I'm reading that the N7 can decode PCM to DSD, can it do this for FLAC files?

I apologise in advance for what may be simple questions but I've never ventured much past FLAC files on my DAPs
Yes it decodes Flac files and mp3 and upscale them to DSD
Here is a link to DSD source

https://www.nativedsd.com/product-category/promotions3-15/

Apr 14, 2023 at 10:53 PM Post #913 of 1,852
What does the "max battery" setting do? It charges above anyway, so I guess it's not working like other battery percentage limiters?
I thought I'd set it to 90% on mine, but when I checked, it was set at 100% again, but yes, it is supposed to stop charging above a limit. However, the DAP has to be switched on for that I think, as it would charge to 100% if off.
Any USB-C cable that supports USB 2.0 or better. That includes Thunderbolt cables.
and to connect the cd player with coaxial output I have to use a ddc, do you know which compatible model?
Why do you want to do that? It'd make more sense to get a cheap USB CD drive and rip your CDs to your computer.
Got my N7 today. I run 2 Mac's and I'm finding it impossible to copy files over to the N7's internal storage. I've tried Android File Transfer & Commander One but I just get error messages like the attached. Anyone had any success/ got any suggestions on how to get this sorted? Thank you.

The N7 internally up-samples all PCM (regular) music to DSD512. It plays DSD natively without up-sampling (as far as I remember). DSD files are HUGE, and for buying them to be of any benefit, they should not have been converted to PCM first for mastering. Most SACDs, which have a DSD layer, contain music that has a PCM origin. NativeDSD is one of the few sites that deals specifically with pure DSD recordings.

Apr 15, 2023 at 1:14 AM Post #914 of 1,852
@ECKHUAAA
Thanks for the answer 👍

@Currawong
I did think that was the case in regards to the N7 upsampling music to DSD but something I read made me doubt this, thanks for the answer.

Out of curiosity, does the N7 up sample from streaming sources such as Qobuz?

Apr 15, 2023 at 1:20 AM Post #915 of 1,852
@ECKHUAAA
Thanks for the answer 👍

@Currawong
I did think that was the case in regards to the N7 upsampling music to DSD but something I read made me doubt this, thanks for the answer.

Out of curiosity, does the N7 up sample from streaming sources such as Qobuz?
Yes, it does, all PCM to DSD including streaming content.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back