Cayin N7: A Voyager of Unexplored Frontier
Apr 18, 2023 at 5:31 PM Post #931 of 1,852
i connected N7 to macbook pro by means of cayin cable this situation appears as dac and i don't hear anything. where am i wrong now? forgive me for asking, but I want stubborn N7 in all its main functions, I got it as a laptop and as a substitute for a desktop dac to complement my desktop amplifier and use it as a dac for my macbook pro.
Don't have N7 but from my experience with other DAPs
- you might want to check N7 in the MacOS sound and mixer settings if it's selected as output device and some default bit rate is set
- you might need to use an additional usb hub to make it work (this was the case for several DAPs I used to own, nowadays usually using IPad Air with above mentioned powered OTG adapter or Ifi Zen Stream with only USB cable as sources which won't require an additional usb hub)

Apr 19, 2023 at 11:57 AM Post #932 of 1,852
i connected N7 to macbook pro by means of cayin cable this situation appears as dac and i don't hear anything. where am i wrong now? forgive me for asking, but I want stubborn N7 in all its main functions, I got it as a laptop and as a substitute for a desktop dac to complement my desktop amplifier and use it as a dac for my macbook pro.
I've got the N7 connected to my Mac mini M2 using the Cayin cable. Set the USB mode on the M7 to Audio In (no charging) and Gain set to Medium. The N7 was recognised by the Mac as an output option. Started Roon, N7 was seen as an audio device and set up. Played some music using a set of connected headphones and it was fine. Just tried Apple Music and again no problem. Volume control is through the N7. Hope these steps help.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2023 at 12:56 PM Post #933 of 1,852
Departed with my N8ii recently and enjoying discreet-like sounds of N7 + C9 tube timbre. C9 doesn't expand N7's already large soundstage or nor shifts its natural analog tonality – it does close the gap to N8ii with a hint more treble extension but not to much where things get spicy which was my beef with N8ii. Tube timbre adds a hint more textural bass and impact. Luvin' it.

N7 great for on the go and N7 + C9 for home desktop.

IMG_1228.jpeg

Apr 19, 2023 at 1:06 PM Post #934 of 1,852
Departed with my N8ii recently and enjoying discreet-like sounds of N7 + C9 tube timbre. C9 doesn't expand N7's already large soundstage or nor shifts its natural analog tonality – it does close the gap to N8ii with a hint more treble extension but not to much where things get spicy which was my beef with N8ii. Tube timbre adds a hint more textural bass and impact. Luvin' it.

N7 great for on the go and N7 + C9 for home desktop.

IMG_1228.jpeg
Took the same route as yourself, moved the N8ii on and now sporting the same N7/C9 combo

Not yet had a chance to fully test the combo

Apr 20, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #935 of 1,852
May I ask whether the N7 is Roon ready and can be used with ARC (and WiFi oc) when on the go?

And can anyone comment on differences / similarities between N7 and DX320 soundwise?

Apr 20, 2023 at 9:13 PM Post #936 of 1,852
I am enjoying my N6ii+C9 now. I want to upgrade my DAP to N7 or N8ii. Since the price for a used N8ii is reasonable now and close to the price for a new N7. Can someone give me some suggestions on N8ii+C9 or N7+C9? Thanks!

Apr 20, 2023 at 9:21 PM Post #937 of 1,852
The only thing on N6ii and C9 I don’t like their background noise. It is totally fine when I used them for dynamic iems, but it does annoy me when I use iems with many BAs that I used very frequently such as Westone W80, QDC V14 and VE phoenix. Does someone who holds a N7 or N8ii can tell me how is your feeling for this issue, especially when you listen to low volume or relatively blank background? Thanks!

Apr 20, 2023 at 9:47 PM Post #938 of 1,852
I am enjoying my N6ii+C9 now. I want to upgrade my DAP to N7 or N8ii. Since the price for a used N8ii is reasonable now and close to the price for a new N7. Can someone give me some suggestions on N8ii+C9 or N7+C9? Thanks!

You'll get more bells and whistles with N8ii but I found the N8ii and ROHM DAC a bit too revealing and bright at times. N7 has a more discreet-like signature – natural resolving tonality and detailed treble, big soundstage, Cayin's signature bass texture and rumble. But what the N7 does well is its flawless native DSD playback, converts and upsamples PCM to DSD512 with a discrete fully balanced selectable A/AB AMP. On its own N7 is a very portable DAP that not only runs cool, gets impressive 7-9 hours of playback.

I previously owned the N8ii since launch and C9 didn't add much to the combo. Beyond adding more power, C9 with N7 adds more air while maintaining N7's already large soundstage and natural tonality.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2023 at 11:08 PM Post #940 of 1,852
Not to burst your bubble but 1-bit/DSD dacs are Delta-Sigma.

If reread what I had written – “N7 has a more discreet-like signature” as in describing that it has qualities of and not that it’s R2R discreet 🤦🏻‍♂️

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2023 at 5:33 AM Post #943 of 1,852
I had the pleasure of trying the N7; it was a true pleasure, it is made for musical enjoyment.

Pro: Everything sounded great.
Con: Everything sounded great.

Why is that a con? Well N7 has a sound of its own, and it is strong, it is very different to N8ii transparent sound.

Apr 21, 2023 at 7:41 AM Post #944 of 1,852
I had the pleasure of trying the N7; it was a true pleasure, it is made for musical enjoyment.

Pro: Everything sounded great.
Con: Everything sounded great.

Why is that a con? Well N7 has a sound of its own, and it is strong, it is very different to N8ii transparent sound.

Yes it’s fantastic, the DAP I’m reaching for the most - adore Camelot with it, and wonderful with my single DDs too.

CC3513BC-B7F4-45B0-A809-F2542CA9BC80.jpeg

Apr 21, 2023 at 8:32 AM Post #945 of 1,852
May I ask whether the N7 is Roon ready and can be used with ARC (and WiFi oc) when on the go?
ARC wont output bit-perfect for me on the N7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back