Cayin N7: A Voyager of Unexplored Frontier
Apr 28, 2023 at 9:01 AM Post #1,036 of 1,852
With HibyCast and Volume control, per my test, the behavior is the same between Android (S22, Android 13) and iPhone (XS Max, iOS 16.4.1).

Connection is very easy, N7 already comes pre-installed with HibyCast, just make sure your DAP's fw is up to date. Find and install HibyCast on your smartphone and make sure you are on the same wifi. That is a key since I talked to a few people who were under the impression they can toss N7 into their backpack while connected to headphones and control it remotely when out and about. That's not gonna work, both devices have to be on the same wifi. Then, once you start HibyCast app, it will give you a list of devices on your network with HibyCast to connect to. Tap on the one you want and you have a mirror image of N7 on your phone.

With volume, you have to click on your smartphone volume up/down button and it will bring up the touch-screen volume control of N7. From there, you can either adjust the volume by touch screen sliding up/down or you can also adjust it by pressing volume button on your phone up/down. That latter one is kind of dangerous due to coarse adjustment in bigger steps, so I would NOT recommend it. And, as you are changing the volume from your phone using physical buttons it doesn't mirror on your touch screen volume change, only in notification bar. So, click on a volume button of your phone, use volume down so you don't make it louder, and then use touch screen interface for a fine adjustment of the volume.

1682686723746.png
1682686760539.png
1682686786899.png

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2023 at 9:08 AM Post #1,037 of 1,852
Nope, as said previously on iPhone (at least for me) pressing any of the volume button of the phone when using HibyCast app has for direct effect to make the N7 volume jump to iPhone‘s own volume level.

You can see the problem here, the volume goes from 30 to 90 with only 1 click on the volume button of the phone :

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2023 at 9:35 AM Post #1,038 of 1,852
Nope, as said previously on iPhone (at least for me) pressing any of the volume button of the phone when using HibyCast app has for direct effect to make the N7 volume jump to iPhone‘s own volume level.

You can see the problem here, the volume goes from 30 to 90 with only 1 click on the volume button of the phone :

Which iPhone model and iOS version? Tested here with XS Max and the latest iOS 16.4.1, works identical to my Galaxy S22 (Android 13) and volume could be adjusted in coarse steps using physical buttons of either XS or S22 or fine steps using on-screen volume touch-slider.

Apr 28, 2023 at 9:47 AM Post #1,039 of 1,852
iPhone 14 pro Max with iOS 16.3.1.
I just saw there’s a new iOS revision, will install it and check if it changes anything.
Edit : same problem with latest iOS revision : 16.4.1

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2023 at 10:34 AM Post #1,040 of 1,852
What I mean is some buttons or menu on the Hybicast to change N7 volume.
Using phone's volume buttons to change N7 volume doesn't make sense to me, and like you said could be dangerous.
Yes I know what you mean, I was searching exactly for the same features on HibyCast app yesterday as it has been mentioned on the N7 page on Cayin’s website :

https://en.cayin.cn/features/7/15/592.html

... but as you, I didn’t find another way to change N7‘s volume remotely than with the phone’s own volume buttons.
I hope there is / will be a better way to do it without risking damages on ears / iems.
Twister6 has explained the volume control process clearly in his post HERE. Up to this moment, that's the only option to control the volume through HiByCast.

Unfortunately, Cayin is only a licensed user of HiByCast, we certainly will bring this out in our next meeting, but we can't reprogram the volume control function of HiByCast. so there is no immediate solution at this point.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Apr 28, 2023 at 11:04 AM Post #1,041 of 1,852
Twister6 has explained the volume control process clearly in his post HERE. Up to this moment, that's the only option to control the volume through HiByCast.

Unfortunately, Cayin is only a licensed user of HiByCast, we certainly will bring this out in our next meeting, but we can't reprogram the volume control function of HiByCast. so there is no immediate solution at this point.

Another alternative solution is to install a 3rd party widget on N7 to change the volume. This way once you connect remotely, you just access that widget on N7 and adjust the volume without a need to use phone volume buttons.

Apr 29, 2023 at 2:17 AM Post #1,042 of 1,852

This is also happened with me using Android
Quite dangerous

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2023 at 2:48 AM Post #1,043 of 1,852
Another alternative solution is to install a 3rd party widget on N7 to change the volume. This way once you connect remotely, you just access that widget on N7 and adjust the volume without a need to use phone volume buttons.

Can you please give an example of a good widget doing this (i’m a noob in the android world :sweat_smile:) ?

Apr 29, 2023 at 4:42 PM Post #1,044 of 1,852
Hi
Am I missing something or is N7 showing the same firmware bug as RS8 playing Redbook Flac songs in Tidal and Qobuz in 48khz with the exception of UApp?
@Andykong

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2023 at 7:05 PM Post #1,045 of 1,852
It seems you’re right @FooFighter

44.1 kHz on Qobuz app but 48 kHz showing on top of N7’s screen :

IMG_0217.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2023 at 10:15 AM Post #1,047 of 1,852

Does the app works with the N8ii as well?

May 1, 2023 at 5:14 AM Post #1,048 of 1,852
Hi
Am I missing something or is N7 showing the same firmware bug as RS8 playing Redbook Flac songs in Tidal and Qobuz in 48khz with the exception of UApp?
@Andykong

It seems you’re right @FooFighter

44.1 kHz on Qobuz app but 48 kHz showing on top of N7’s screen :

IMG_0217.jpeg

Just a little note to add on: Your screenshot, @KelFab, shows you playing a 24/44.1 track, since it is dubbed ”High-Res“; Redbook is dubbed ”CD Quality“ by Qobuz. So the issue originally encountered by @FooFighter is not limited to Redbook CD quality.

May 1, 2023 at 5:21 AM Post #1,049 of 1,852
@Andykong any target date for a fix?
Is it only coincidence or is the same software team developing firmware for Hiby and Cayin as the same bug is there too on RS8?

May 1, 2023 at 5:26 AM Post #1,050 of 1,852
Just a little note to add on: Your screenshot, @KelFab, shows you playing a 24/44.1 track, since it is dubbed ”High-Res“; Redbook is dubbed ”CD Quality“ by Qobuz. So the issue originally encountered by @FooFighter is not limited to Redbook CD quality.
Well seen !
Same problem with CD quality, but alright in 96 khz, so it’s a sample rate related problem ?

IMG_1091.jpeg
IMG_1092.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back