Cayin N7: A Voyager of Unexplored Frontier
May 1, 2023 at 6:39 AM Post #1,051 of 1,852
@Andykong any target date for a fix?
Is it only coincidence or is the same software team developing firmware for Hiby and Cayin as the same bug is there too on RS8?

I can't speak for Andy, but noticed fw fixes between N7 and RS8 to be aligned, so pretty sure it's the same team. Amazon Music HD had a similar issue after the app update until they finally fixed it and it shows up correctly as 192kHz in notification bar. Tidal had something similar in master 16x decoding which got fixed, at least one of the main issues. I stopped using Qobuz, just for me personally very poor selection of music I'm interested in, but wondering if this is the same case where one of the latest app updates broke something.

May 1, 2023 at 7:29 AM Post #1,053 of 1,852
Hi guys, was wondering if anyone else had this problem. There is a slight hiss background noise when using the Andromeda 2020. Is this normal? I tried A/AB but this had no effect. Thank you in advance.
Not having Andromeda right now but Trifecta for example.
Andromeda IEMs are well known to hiss out of almost everything.
N7 is no exception here unfortunately.
Trifecta is hissing too for example.
You can try Ifi IEMATCH but beware it is impacting the output impedance and thus can change your IEM frequency response

Last edited:
May 1, 2023 at 9:33 AM Post #1,054 of 1,852
Hi guys, was wondering if anyone else had this problem. There is a slight hiss background noise when using the Andromeda 2020. Is this normal? I tried A/AB but this had no effect. Thank you in advance.

Yes, it's "normal" relative to Andro/Solaris due to their sensitivity. I hear the same "waterfall" type of mild hissing with Andro '20 and Solaris '20 with N7 and many other daps. It is more noticeable in quiet passages of the song, or acoustic/instrumental tracks with less busy arrangement. Can't hear it with volume up playing EDM/Top40 tracks.

May 2, 2023 at 10:29 AM Post #1,055 of 1,852
So... something quite nice arrived today :heart_eyes:
Thanks to @MusicTeck for the speedy shipping as usual !

IMG_5324.png

I was so surprised about how light the package and player feel (well, between M17 and RS8...I am ill educated :D )

IMG_5325.png

Form factor wise, RS8 barely takes up more space, just a tad wider but screen to body ratio is better on the RS8 by far... the narrower footprint on the case also makes it easier to type in I found the N7 case to be a bit of a hassle to type on the edge of the keyboard. I am nitpicking :wink:.

IMG_5326.png

Given how close they are in terms of occupied space / volume it's scary how much heavier RS8 is :p

Now I won't go into comparisons yet, as N7 is OOB and I didn't have much time with it yet.
Still I can usually have a big picture of the general traits of how this baby sounds...
I luckily wasn't excited so much that I would not take care to put protection plug on the LO side since it's reversed compared to Hiby :bomb: (a good way to blow up your ears...)

It's been said before N7 is maybe the most organic sounding DAP along with RS8 which to this day was king of organic to my ears. There is an analog quality to it that is often hard to describe but so obvious to hear. Yet, N7 features a vivacity and liveliness that is reminiscent of N8ii to my ears. N7 is a more dynamic DAP than RS8 if I had to pin down the main difference.

There is more lower treble energy for sure and that's also true bass wise, N7 is more impactful in terms of how snappy the bass comes accross. RS8 has a lot of power but it's delivered both down and up with a less vibrant touch. On the flipside RS8 is a more nuanced beast that will please trained ears and right now the unfair comparison because my RS8 has hundreds of hours the stage is bigger and imaging more precise. RS8 has this slightly understated (but so very capable and impressive) and mature tuning that is not laid back in absolute terms but N7 is quite livelier and I can see how one would feel N7 is more engaging. Depending on pair up, this will be too energetic for me. A matter of taste obviously.

I can't wait how N7 will mature with burn in... my experience is that stage will open and things will settle down nicely but not change overall.
Anyway, N7 is clearly a winner and keeper just like RS8 it is so very special.

About previous comments I read on N7 treble being "better" than RS8 well if you define this by more energetic then yes. But by not means RS8 is lacking especially not sure N7 extends the same way but we'll see as more lower treble energy tends to attract the listening attention to it. N7 is more engaging this way and finds quite the sweet spot there. There is more treble note weight as well on piano for example.

I'll sure spend more, time burn this baby for a good couple of hours and then also make good use of the oriolus 4.4. switcher and report back much later...

1683036723391.png

Last edited:
May 2, 2023 at 2:16 PM Post #1,056 of 1,852
Thinking of upgrading from my Shanling M6U to the N7 but I wonder about gapless playback. I’ve done a search here and see that using an app like UAPP or the hiby app offers this. With the Shanling in the pure music mode my favourite live album is extremely irritating with the gap between songs and it’s so bad that you actually lose a second or so of actual music. I use UAPP but I feel like the pure music mode sounds better. So I’m kind of hating the Shanling. Does the N7 have a similar non android music playback that isn’t gapless and I’ll have to use an inferior sounding android based app to get gapless or what..
Don’t want to upgrade just to encounter the same thing. Thanks

May 2, 2023 at 9:38 PM Post #1,058 of 1,852
While I did share my First Look N7 write up back in February, just before CanJam NYC'23, that was just "first look". Now, after spending a few months with N7 review unit, I'm ready to share my full detailed review of this latest Cayin DAP. Enjoy the read!

cayin-n7-00.jpg

May 2, 2023 at 9:50 PM Post #1,059 of 1,852
While I did share my First Look N7 write up back in February, just before CanJam NYC'23, that was just "first look". Now, after spending a few months with N7 review unit, I'm ready to share my full detailed review of this latest Cayin DAP. Enjoy the read!

cayin-n7-00.jpg

Yeah. I found the N7 to be a bit toasty as well. Otherwise, I loved the slick UI and subtle tonality differences between the Class A/AB amps.

May 3, 2023 at 2:43 AM Post #1,060 of 1,852

cayin-n7-00.jpg
Great review Alex congrats!
I totally agree with your impressions on N7, this Dap is special for its price.
As you described looks a great partner for jewel and even better than N6ii Ti (R01), i need to try Jewel again :)

May 3, 2023 at 3:33 AM Post #1,061 of 1,852
Wish get more comparison between P6 pro vs N7? Is there a big difference in sound quality?

May 3, 2023 at 6:38 AM Post #1,062 of 1,852

cayin-n7-00.jpg

As per usual, an excelelnt review.

Your impressions are very similar to my own in terms of the sound presentation from the N7 espicially in comparasion to the N8ii.

For me I prefer the N7 for it's overall sound, I thik like you have said that the N8ii is the 'flagship' model, partly based on it's finer detail in the treble presentation (altohugh I do prefer N7 for this) and it's ability to give more options due to it's tuning options.

I've only used the N7/C9 combo breifly and used the korg tubes on the C9 when doing so, need more time to listen to this combo but overall the N7 for it's price feels like it's punching above its price point.

May 4, 2023 at 9:41 AM Post #1,063 of 1,852

Great read I especially enjoyed N8ii and RS8 comparisons, quite spot on!

As N7 burns in I must say, this was a daring move from Cayin to go for this unique architecture... it's unique sounding compared to any other DAPs... with a very agressive price IMHO as you point out.

While I am here, pure bliss runing N7 (48 hours clocked on it) / Cleo II Octa and JH Sharona... this is one of the best sonic experience I have ever had... granted, I have a taste for organic so between N7, Cleo II Octa and Sharona I have plenty of that... :heart_eyes:

IMG_5351.png

May 4, 2023 at 10:01 AM Post #1,064 of 1,852
Congrats @davidmolliere and welcome back!
I love N7 too, it has a good mix of musicality and technical abilities with huge soudstage.
It's an immersive experience especially with long sessions because it's never boring and do its best after 30min

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back