Cayin N6ii, Unlimited Possibilities: a fully modularized smart DAP
Apr 15, 2023 at 12:22 AM Post #8,011 of 8,192
Apr 15, 2023 at 2:04 AM Post #8,012 of 8,192
Hi I am having a malfunction and cannot figure out how to resolve. First some back story- about a week ago the unit was having difficulty restarting. I was able to solve the problem by deleting the UAPP program and re-installing. Last night, I was playing back music and listening to it in bed when the unit shut off spontaneously during playback. This time, (as before) I plugged into the charger (Anker Powerport +1 with QC 3.0) and attempted to restart but nothing worked. I tried a factory reset (which I understood to be holding down the 'previous track' and the volume/on-off button simulataneosly) but the unit just does the same thing over and over again. The Cayin logo flashes on the screen for about 10 secs, then blinks off again. The unit does not restart and is not responsive to anything I do at this point.

I purchased the Unit from another user from classifieds and it is not on warranty. I am also emailing the service email. @Andykong or other users any suggestions?
Have you tried:
1. Leaving plugged in to power for a good 30 minutes before reset
2. Connecting via usb to pc

May be worth a try

#1 worked- thanks. Something that looked like a trashcan with a face on its side and an open panel saying "no command" appeared, after which the unit started normally. I have uninstalled UAPP and will leave it uninstalled. Not sure what to do next (as it appears my password to login and all the other apps are still intact- this was not a factory reset. Unit appears to be charging OK. Not sure what else to do to avoid this happening again (I'm spooked now).

somnarium, thank you for the quick and direct help out. :beerchug:

jlemaster1957, I'll suggest a complete factory reset, and then recalibrate the battery gauge. Drain the battery till it power off automatically, and then charge it to 100%. To optimize your battery performance, you should recalibrate the battery gauge after a long period of shallow charging (~20 charge cycles)

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Apr 15, 2023 at 9:05 AM Post #8,013 of 8,192
somnarium, thank you for the quick and direct help out. :beerchug:

jlemaster1957, I'll suggest a complete factory reset, and then recalibrate the battery gauge. Drain the battery till it power off automatically, and then charge it to 100%. To optimize your battery performance, you should recalibrate the battery gauge after a long period of shallow charging (~20 charge cycles)
Thanks so much everyone. Just so I am clear- how do I accomplish a complete factory reset? I tried pushing power on/volume button and previous track simultaneously. This does reboot the device and the result for me was not apparently different than a restart. My password and all my apps were not deleted.

Apr 16, 2023 at 2:29 AM Post #8,014 of 8,192
Thanks so much everyone. Just so I am clear- how do I accomplish a complete factory reset? I tried pushing power on/volume button and previous track simultaneously. This does reboot the device and the result for me was not apparently different than a restart. My password and all my apps were not deleted.
There should be a factory reset option in the menus, I think its in the "About" section somewhere (not done it recently) as there is with all Android devices.

May 5, 2023 at 12:13 PM Post #8,015 of 8,192
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
May 7, 2023 at 6:40 PM Post #8,016 of 8,192
There should be a factory reset option in the menus, I think its in the "About" section somewhere (not done it recently) as there is with all Android devices.
Update on the problem described above: I did accomplish factory reset, and also battery reset. On installing my player apps, I made sure that they were not optimizing battery (as that has produced problems with UAPP crashing in the past, though never the whole DAP). The player played music fine from either TIDAL directly or via UAPP. However, the problem has continued. I will play music from the player, 2-3 songs, then the whole unit will crash. I have been able to get it to restart by putting it on the charger for 30 minutes, at which point it will restart normally while plugged into the charger. When it is working, it will not crash unless music is playing. For instance, it stayed on for 2 days during the time I was letting the battery discharge, without crashing. So the problem is not fixed.

Today, I turned the unit off and switched out the motherboard for the E02. Since the problem occurred while the R01 was inserted, I reasoned 'maybe it is the motherboard that has failed'. This did not fix the problem. As a matter of fact, now it is worse: now the unit is unresponsive even after it has been plugged into the charger. It tries to start - Cayin flashes, and the 'charging' light comes on, but the unit then crashes again (all lights off, screen blank) and this repeats. Even when I leave the unit plugged into the charger for 30 min, it remains unresponsive.

I have concluded that the base unit has failed. It is not on warranty. Any suggestions?

May 8, 2023 at 3:18 AM Post #8,018 of 8,192
Update on the problem described above: I did accomplish factory reset, and also battery reset. On installing my player apps, I made sure that they were not optimizing battery (as that has produced problems with UAPP crashing in the past, though never the whole DAP). The player played music fine from either TIDAL directly or via UAPP. However, the problem has continued. I will play music from the player, 2-3 songs, then the whole unit will crash. I have been able to get it to restart by putting it on the charger for 30 minutes, at which point it will restart normally while plugged into the charger. When it is working, it will not crash unless music is playing. For instance, it stayed on for 2 days during the time I was letting the battery discharge, without crashing. So the problem is not fixed.

Today, I turned the unit off and switched out the motherboard for the E02. Since the problem occurred while the R01 was inserted, I reasoned 'maybe it is the motherboard that has failed'. This did not fix the problem. As a matter of fact, now it is worse: now the unit is unresponsive even after it has been plugged into the charger. It tries to start - Cayin flashes, and the 'charging' light comes on, but the unit then crashes again (all lights off, screen blank) and this repeats. Even when I leave the unit plugged into the charger for 30 min, it remains unresponsive.

I have concluded that the base unit has failed. It is not on warranty. Any suggestions?
This is the one of the reasons why I've switched away from Cayin, Fiio, Hiby etc. Service whilst available is often expensive and time consuming. A few years experience in this hobby, and lots of money spent on DAP's that years ago were very good value but with the constant price hikes not so much now. Its not going to be a popular opinion around here but if we all buy local then perhaps the Chinese DAP makers will be forced to price their offerings more competitively again like they used to be.

I'm sticking with my Mojo2 and Poly, its a great setup for me, its cheaper than the current high-end offerings from the above companies and should the worst come to the worst I get great local service.

My 26 month old 2Go failed recently and it cost me £8 to return it to Chord and one week later I have it back, at no additional cost to me.

Quite a few failures and a lot of money later and with each new generation of DAP's getting more expensive has taught me to buy local.

That said my N6ii has been great and is still working but it spends most of its time in a drawer currently. :)

May 13, 2023 at 10:47 PM Post #8,019 of 8,192
So, A&K have announced their new R2R player with a lot of nifty new upgrades...price around $2k, not bad for A&K and not much more than n6ii with an R01, r2r board!

How is it going to compare and compete with the n6ii with the R01 (or n6ii ti), which is now an old r2r DAP by today's standards?

I am looking forward to hearing the reviews of the early adopters of head Fi. But I am not worried in the slightest, nor having any fomo, sticking with the AWESOME n6ii R01 at its nice price point today.

Why? Because I regularly play the R01 against my P6Pro (more like I use the cayin when the L&P battery needs a charge), and this effing Cayin from 3 years ago for a fraction of the price delivers the r2r goods, maybe not at the level of P6Pro, but close enough for horseshoes!

I think this is a long winded way of saying cayin v A&K (sub flagship as I've heard neither totl) is no shoe-in for A&K....time will tell, but don't count out the thrifty n6ii!!!! IMHO, still the deal of the day.

May 13, 2023 at 11:30 PM Post #8,020 of 8,192
So, A&K have announced their new R2R player with a lot of nifty new upgrades...price around $2k, not bad for A&K and not much more than n6ii with an R01, r2r board!

How is it going to compare and compete with the n6ii with the R01 (or n6ii ti), which is now an old r2r DAP by today's standards?

I am looking forward to hearing the reviews of the early adopters of head Fi. But I am not worried in the slightest, nor having any fomo, sticking with the AWESOME n6ii R01 at its nice price point today.

Why? Because I regularly play the R01 against my P6Pro (more like I use the cayin when the L&P battery needs a charge), and this effing Cayin from 3 years ago for a fraction of the price delivers the r2r goods, maybe not at the level of P6Pro, but close enough for horseshoes!

I think this is a long winded way of saying cayin v A&K (sub flagship as I've heard neither totl) is no shoe-in for A&K....time will tell, but don't count out the thrifty n6ii!!!! IMHO, still the deal of the day.
Of course, for that same money one could buy a desktop R2R DAC like the Denafrips Pontus 12th or the Gustard R26. As I am just shipping my Cayin N6mkii off to China for repairs, I have pivoted away from DAPs since I do a lot of my listening these days at home anyway. And oh BTW there is also the excellent Cayin RU-6, an R2R dongle for a fraction of the price…

May 19, 2023 at 3:04 PM Post #8,021 of 8,192
Hi,
I am a user of N6II Titanium R01, it works perfect with Cayin player / Tidal but it doesn't work good with Amazon music app. When I tried to play Ultra HD songs the bitrate still 44.1k while the app showing 24bit/48kHz , any ideas? (I have also tried HD/SD songs they the bitrate next to the battery indicator still 44.1k)

Attachments

• IMG_1032.jpg
    IMG_1032.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 0
May 21, 2023 at 12:49 AM Post #8,022 of 8,192
Been enjoying the N6ii with R01 since the launch of R01.Really like the sound tuning.I have the problem at the lower bottom of the screen which is not responding to touch most of the time.Sometime after restart it work for awhile and then back to not repsonsive.Another problem is my sd card got stuck.Not able to take it out.Any solution for the stuck sd card?

May 21, 2023 at 2:53 PM Post #8,023 of 8,192
A latecomer to the R01 party, but what a party! Sure rocks, congrats Cayin, a great product and, what's best - a sublime, groundbreaking sound!

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • 4.jpeg
    4.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 3.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 8.jpeg
    8.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 5.jpeg
    5.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
  • 6.jpeg
    6.jpeg
May 21, 2023 at 4:05 PM Post #8,024 of 8,192
A latecomer to the R01 party, but what a party! Sure rocks, congrats Cayin, a great product and, what's best - a sublime, groundbreaking sound!
It's awesome, enjoy it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back