Cayin N6ii, Unlimited Possibilities: a fully modularized smart DAP
Mar 10, 2023 at 4:40 PM Post #7,981 of 8,191
Thank you jlemaster1957 !!!! This was the best $8.50 I've EVER spent in portable audio. Literally transformed the sound of the lovely N6iiTi (R01)..... I'm dumbstruck. I takes the sound of the Cayin much closer to L&P territory. Anybody listening, this is a total no brainer! Buy this app.
odd, as the difference between cayin/hiby app and uapp shouldn't be big, if there's any difference, IIRC cayin/hiby app already bypasses android.

Have you tried neutron? That's another app that I'm pretty sure bypasses android, but has a few extra settings which will get resolution into an even higher plane (8x OS, 64bit, audiophile resampling, direct source etc etc)

Mar 12, 2023 at 8:46 AM Post #7,982 of 8,191
Maybe it shouldn't be big but it definitely is big sonically!

Mar 12, 2023 at 11:04 AM Post #7,986 of 8,191
Tôi chưa bao giờ gặp phải trường hợp đó NHƯNG đôi khi nó bị sập bất ngờ nếu đó là một trong những ứng dụng mà DAP của bạn bao gồm trong phần 'quản lý pin', nên tắt ứng dụng này.
when switching albums on my cayin n6ii sometimes there is a crackle at the beginning of the song, it seems to happen when switching the sampling frequency between 48khz and 41.1khz

Mar 12, 2023 at 11:17 AM Post #7,988 of 8,191
odd, as the difference between cayin/hiby app and uapp shouldn't be big, if there's any difference, IIRC cayin/hiby app already bypasses android.

Have you tried neutron? That's another app that I'm pretty sure bypasses android, but has a few extra settings which will get resolution into an even higher plane (8x OS, 64bit, audiophile resampling, direct source etc etc)
UAPP sounds more detailed and clean than the slightly louder volume. and moreover it integrates tidal and qobuz quite conveniently

Mar 15, 2023 at 11:14 PM Post #7,989 of 8,191
[TOUR] Cayin N7 DAP

Just in case you are not aware of this, Cayin is looking for reviewers for our latest N7 DAP. If you are interested in checking out this first-ever portable 1-bit DAC implementation, please sign up the tour HERE.

N7 HeadFi Tour.jpg

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Mar 16, 2023 at 3:42 AM Post #7,990 of 8,191
[TOUR] Cayin N7 DAP

Just in case you are not aware of this, Cayin is looking for reviewers for our latest N7 DAP. If you are interested in checking out this first-ever portable 1-bit DAC implementation, please sign up the tour HERE.

N7 HeadFi Tour.jpg
Awesome and good luck with the N7 but I'm getting out of the "hobby" for a while. This is not specific to Cayin but when I see the price of stuff HeadFi constantly increasing I get a bit burned out personally, especially we we are bombarded daily with cost of living issues.

Lots of hard working folks can't afford to even heat their houses and I got a email yesterday about a $2,700 IEM "cable", not even an IEM supplied with it. Enough is enough.

Mar 16, 2023 at 3:49 AM Post #7,991 of 8,191
Awesome and good luck with the N7 but I'm getting out of the "hobby" for a while. This is not specific to Cayin but when I see the price of stuff HeadFi constantly increasing I get a bit burned out personally, especially we we are bombarded daily with cost of living issues.

Lots of hard working folks can't afford to even heat their houses and I got a email yesterday about a $2,700 IEM "cable", not even an IEM supplied with it. Enough is enough.
Time to go into the recesses of this hobby...forget all about those cables and just listen to and enjoy your music! The music is the point, not the new Cayin. The old Cayin sounds just fine anyway!

Mar 16, 2023 at 4:00 AM Post #7,992 of 8,191
Time to go into the recesses of this hobby...forget all about those cables and just listen to and enjoy your music! The music is the point, not the new Cayin. The old Cayin sounds just fine anyway!
Agreed, and I reached a point whereby I found it a challenge to hear a notable difference between my trusty N6ii and an SP3000. A different 'house sound' was audible, but it was not like night and day to me, and hard to justify the considerable price difference between them. The silly thing is I can see myself getting an SP3000 or N7 at some point in the future, regardless, and thats how this hobby has grabbed me!

Mar 16, 2023 at 4:29 AM Post #7,993 of 8,191
Agreed, and I reached a point whereby I found it a challenge to hear a notable difference between my trusty N6ii and an SP3000. A different 'house sound' was audible, but it was not like night and day to me, and hard to justify the considerable price difference between them. The silly thing is I can see myself getting an SP3000 or N7 at some point in the future, regardless, and thats how this hobby has grabbed me!
Yeah, well you have the secret weapon, the R01. It makes n6ii a cheap alternative to all other high end DAPs. I compare it to my L&P P6Pro on a daily basis, and with UAPP in bit perfect, the difference while distinguishable, is hardly night and day. I have never heard DS based DACs in a DAP sound as good as R2R does, and it's especially impressive in the R01 considering it's price. Love Cayin but don't feel the need to upgrade considering I'm very happy with what I have.

Now when L&P release their new L7, I will itch.

Mar 16, 2023 at 4:31 AM Post #7,994 of 8,191
Yeah, well you have the secret weapon, the R01. It makes n6ii a cheap alternative to all other high end DAPs. I compare it to my L&P P6Pro on a daily basis, and with UAPP in bit perfect, the difference while distinguishable, is hardly night and day. I have never heard DS based DACs in a DAP sound as good as R2R does, and it's especially impressive in the R01 considering it's price. Love Cayin but don't feel the need to upgrade considering I'm very happy with what I have.

Now when L&P release their new L7, I will itch.
Will chime in, I'd take n6ii over the dx320, and wm1a over n6ii probably. (never had direct comparison, but wm1a with custom fw is incredible)

Mar 17, 2023 at 1:48 AM Post #7,995 of 8,191

If N6ii is considered a reasonably priced audiophile DAP, why not consider N7 as equivalent to R01+A02? From a functional point of view, these two options are very close to each other. R01 was the only Audio Motherboard that you can't buy it with an N6ii directly, you have to own an N6ii with at least one motherboard before you can jump on board the R01 wagon. The N6ii+A01 or T01 was retailed at $1199, N6ii+E01, E02 or A02 was $1299, R01 was never sold in the package, and you can only buy the module at $619. So the packaged price of N6ii with A02 and R01 (if you can find one) is $1918. Isn't that close enough to the retail price of N7? Yes, we ask for an extra premium of around $100 in comparison, but with that, we threw in a fully balanced design (R01 is a single-ended DAC), fully discrete circuit like E01/E02, plus an updated Android 12 system.

Users and manufacturers see things differently. From Cayin's perspective, we didn't develop N7 as an upgrade to N6ii users. We develop a new DAP for the continuous marketplace. We want to enlarge our customer base as we believe making a bigger cake is more beneficial to the company than draining the existing "cake". That's why you won't see me selling N7 in the N6ii thread, or encouraging N6ii users to upgrade their DAP to N7. To illustrate my point, when Honda introduced their 11th generation Accord for 2023 release, they don't expect their 2022 or 2021 Accord users to rush into the market and buy the new Accord. Instead, they should focus on consumers who are in the market for a new car in 2023. That's a more cost-effective approach IMHO.

To a certain extent, I don't agree with the claim of getting out of the "hobby". Did you aware of the famous "5 Customer Segments of Technology Adoption"? Maybe your concept of "in the hobby" means you must be an innovator or early adopter, but in reality, early majority and late majority formed the bigger and more "meaningful" hobbyist group because they are the main target (and driving force) of new products, especially when we are referring to a hobby of a very niche market such as $1000+ DAP. There are brands that are focused on the innovators and early adopters markets, you can differentiate this from the duration of the product life cycle. If you are with us for a longer period, you probably notice that Cayin adopts a fairly long product cycle in our DAP lineup. N6ii was announced way back in 2019 and N3pro was in 2020, and their direct successors are still nowhere in sight. N8ii was launched in 2022, almost 4 years after the original N8. So the message is loud and clear, we are targeting the early majority and late majority market segment primarily.

curve.JPG

If you feel uncomfortable being an innovator, step back and enjoy yourself as an early adopter or early majority. If you feel uncomfortable being an early adopter, step back and enjoy yourself as an early majority or late majority. Enjoy your music, enjoy your current hardware and software, and be happy.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back